Thread: Question for primal parents with primal kids!! page

JenLiana is offline Member

Question for primal parents with primal kids!!

Primal Fuel
    I am only about 3 weeks into this primal lifestyle, and my husband FINALLY stopped arguing whats healthy and whats not and jumped on the bandwagon ( YAY ) Apparently I've been a lot less cranky lately and way more energy, he wants what I have

Anyway, so we are transitioning our kids into the primal lifestyle as well. Its just easier as a whole anyway, and our kids aren't too picky (thank god) My main question is, my daughter will be attending school this September ( yikes for my little girl starting kindergarten ) I wonder what the heck I am going to do for packed lunches. Since sandwiches for lunch used to be the norm, I think I need some ideas. I do have a few of my own, but some more would be great! Oh this is a nut free school as well.

Thanks in advance!

nikitakolata is offline Senior Member
    I'm not a parent but what about soup in a thermos? I used to love that as a kid... probably because it was different from what I usually got. Or maybe you could do a DIY lunchable thing with rice crackers, nitrate free lunch meat and cheese. That assumes you eat dairy, of course. I used to love lunchables as a kid too so a take on that would probably be well received.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    We typically send meat balls of various sorts, cut veggies, and fruit, and sometimes a paleo muffin/cup cake. Sometimes we include dipping sauces for the veggies/fruit/meat balls, but usually we don't.

At school, he also gets rice balls and gluten free buns (and in winter, home made vegetable soup), so he gets plenty of good stuff.

Aldergirl is offline Senior Member
    My child isn’t out of the oven yet, but I used to work in preschool and saw a lot of lunches. Soup in a thermos is good, but it doesn’t always stay hot (get a good thermos!), stir fry (if you do rice), and salad with dressing on the side are also enjoyed by kids. Kids often enjoy having their foods separate and as finger foods. Here are some of the things I saw in lunches that the kids really enjoyed:

Proteins: organic hot dogs (kids don’t seem to mind them cold), yogurt, cheese and meat slices, cheese sticks, meat wrapped up in lettuce with cream cheese, jerky, cold chicken, milk to drink in a sealed bottle. She might enjoy some cold, dry bacon (baconbits texture). I once had a toddler with a medium rare bone-in steak in her lunch (which I was afraid to give to her since it had no cold pack…). It's amazing watching toddlers eat a chicken drumstick or a steak off of a bone!

Veggies: Carrots, snap peas, green beans, tomatoes, slices of peppers (I’ve seen 2 year olds devour those), hummus or cream cheese dip for the veggies, cucumbers and pickles. Sweet Potato chips or kale chips might also be a hit, though I never saw them in lunches. Kids did like the "Veggie Chips"... which had very little veggie in them...

Fruits: Apples (they eat more if they are sliced), grapes (kids almost always love grapes), cherries, blueberries, strawberries, bananas, raisins, and dried cranberries. They also like fruit leather, but that's not as healthy. They generally don’t care for pears or plums since those are so messy to eat. They like blackberries, generally, but those can get really messy...

It will never cease to amaze me that the toddlers I worked with did NOT care for their breads. They'd pick their meat out, lick off cream cheese or peanut butter or jelly, and not really care for crackers when there were other things to eat. By pre-k, however, they loved their bread and crackers. It drove me nuts when my co-workers would make the toddlers finish their bread before they could have their fruit or veggies. There ain't no nutrition in bread, and the kids don't even want it! I'd see teachers force kids to finish the cupcake part of the cupcake, rather than just lick off the frosting (which is what most kids will do if given the chance). Why make them eat something that isn't even good for them?! It just shows how much eating grains is an acquired taste for us.

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    Do a search here. This topic has been covered many times. Lots of good ideas. Nom Nom Paleo has done many posts about what she feeds her kids and she uses Lunch Bots lunch boxes. Like a bento box, there are compartments to keep food separate.

JenLiana is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mud Flinger View Post
    Do a search here. This topic has been covered many times. Lots of good ideas. Nom Nom Paleo has done many posts about what she feeds her kids and she uses Lunch Bots lunch boxes. Like a bento box, there are compartments to keep food separate.

Oops, I didn't realize, new to primal, and new to the forums as well. Thanks I will do a search as well =)

Love all your idea's, thanks a bunch!!

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes