Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long did it take you to get abs? page

eig
    eig is offline Senior Member

How long did it take you to get abs?

Shop Now
    Just wondering how long it took people to accomplish this goal. After eating primal for over a year now and exercising regularly I noticed the tiniest bit of ab definition (on the top two) that becomes pretty visible if I flex. I never thought I would have even that before primal! I've been flirting with the idea of trying to get more visible abs but haven't 100% committed to this goal because it seems so daunting, especially for women. So my question(s); How long did it take you? Was it worth it? ...and can I see pics ;-)
    "...You sort of start thinking anything's possible if you've got enough nerve. -Ginny

My story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/i-now...#axzz2MzPtxo00

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eig View Post
    Just wondering how long it took people to accomplish this goal. After eating primal for over a year now and exercising regularly I noticed the tiniest bit of ab definition (on the top two) that becomes pretty visible if I flex. I never thought I would have even that before primal! I've been flirting with the idea of trying to get more visible abs but haven't 100% committed to this goal because it seems so daunting, especially for women. So my question(s); How long did it take you? Was it worth it? ...and can I see pics ;-)
    Very subjective question! - every one is different and at a different starting point ( you'll get huge variations in answers : to never in 5 years, down to possibly in a few weeks ) .

I wasn't too overweight ( well I wasn't overweight really - just a bit too much belly/body fat).
    To get top two sets to show along with general ab outline was 3 or 4 weeks from memory - next set down was again about 4 week from then - next set down slight outline next few weeks ( never has been defined properly). I'm male so its probably easier than for females.

I found I needed to put on muscle as cutting that low in body fat left me feeling I was underweight ( and in doing so you loose muscle too - unless maybe if you're on a steak and eggs only diet)

It's winter here now where I am ( not swimming weather ). I am now intentionally overeating ( primal foods) and lifting heavy - muscle bulk has increased and so has body fat percentage but still the top two sets of show along with general outline of the area. I've put on about 12 pounds of weight, of that is probably about 4 pounds of fat (waist size has not increased - a good thing). In any case I don't have a fully defined ab section but I'm happy with my current composition over the winter and will keep eating big and lifting heavy for a while.

Was it worth it ? : depends on the sacrifices/effort to get them , sacrifices/effort to maintain, the benefits you see in having them ( eg you live in warm climate near the beach and you like to show them off whist swimming etc - again subjective.

See the steak and eggs thread to reduce body fat - maybe there's something in there for you.
    Last edited by EatMoveSleep; 06-21-2013 at 11:30 PM.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Mine come and go, usually the top 2 look fine, sometimes all 6, usually just the 4.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Like EatMoveSleep said, this is a question that will get responses with a lot of variability and subjectivity. First off, I'm a male, so keep that in mind (in general, men have an easier time getting to and maintaining the level of bodyfat required for abs to show). I've always been pretty lean and actually have gained weight (nearly 25 lbs!) since I started eating Primal and lifting weights several years ago. But it actually improved the appearance of my abs (and the rest of my body). I just didn't have enough muscle for my stomach muscle to look like abs when I weighed closer to 140, even though I had pretty low bodyfat.

I've heard Jason Seib talk in several podcasts (EverydayPaleo) about how in his opinion, being ripped is not necessarily healthy. For example, he has said something like you can have one person who has a flat stomach or even a couple extra pounds of fat, but is not ripped and they are actually as healthy (or maybe even healthier) than someone who is super-ripped (<~6% bodyfat for men, <~15% in women).

eig
    Thanks for the answers! I realized I wasn't going to get one answer, just was curious about peoples experiences while attempting to reach this goal :-)

Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    I've heard Jason Seib talk in several podcasts (EverydayPaleo) about how in his opinion, being ripped is not necessarily healthy. For example, he has said something like you can have one person who has a flat stomach or even a couple extra pounds of fat, but is not ripped and they are actually as healthy (or maybe even healthier) than someone who is super-ripped (<~6% bodyfat for men, <~15% in women).
    I've heard this as well, and I've also read that for ladies it it can cause infertility which I definitely don't think it would be worth it at that point. I definitely don't want to sacrifice my health. On the other hand, is there any way to know if you are going to be unhealthy at that point unless you try it and start feeling crappy? Or are you saying that all people by default are less healthy for them?

@eatmovesleep I live in Hawaii in the summers, so it appeals to me for that reason in particular!

I can relate to what you were saying about gaining muscle on primal because I haven't lost anything eating this way in a long while but I have gotten smaller with more defined muscles but I wonder if its enough or, if like you were saying, I cut too much maybe I would just look skinny. Find myself asking again, is there anyway to know without trying Did you just cut and realize you didn't have enough muscle and then immediately go back on a bulk like you are doing now or something?
    "...You sort of start thinking anything's possible if you've got enough nerve. -Ginny

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    I know this isn't your original question, but there's no way of knowing that you're going to do hormonal damage which takes months or maybe years to resolve, until it's too late. I would aim to get as healthy as possible and if you end up with a six-pack, great; if not, move on - set yourself a performance goal instead!

The Female Athlete Triad

How Intermittent Fasting Saved Me While Slowly Killing me | Civilized Caveman Cooking Creations

Paleo Women are Phat | Ancestralize Me!

eig
    I have those too You are right though, so far I have mostly been trying to get stronger and its been making me look pretty good and lean on its own

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Born with them.

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    To be honest (and give you another perspective): I don't want them.
    I've got some loose skin on my belly to lose (still leftover from when I was a size 16), but once that's tightened, I want to keep my body fat up. Around 20% body fat looks healthier and prettier to me and is better for optimal hormonal balance and fertility. I value that more than abs.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

smartuko is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Yes, I prefer women not to have full-blown six packs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast