Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trader Joe's vs Whole Foods??? page 2

kiwigal is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    Whole Foods has a much larger selection. The meat at Trader Joe's is prepackaged. You can ask the meat counter guys at Whole Foods to slice the meat for you, and they will do it for free. I ask them to slice my meat whenever I need it sliced to make jerky.

Just because a company is publicly traded doesn't mean that they aren't able to "set their own prices."

Whole Foods is more expensive because the quality of their products is higher. They sell the best tasting sweet potatoes, and everything is always fresh.

Edited to add: Disclaimer--I have a huge crush on John Mackey so anything I say is biased. I also want to work for Whole Foods when I grow up. <3

That said, in CA, TJ's is a great place to buy wine. They often have great bottles that are between $4 and $8.

UGH!!! I know. It goes back to the, "You get what you pay for." WE buy all of our meat at Whole Foods but I was trying to transition over to traders for everything else.

I'm still deciding whether to pay a large sum of money for extremely fresh food, OR hand pick everything at traders and deal with most of it not being fresh.

ayumi is offline Member
    We took a trip to TJ's last week and ended up throwing out almost all of the food. The quality was terrible even for the price.

The local co-op here has good prices on some things, just have to become familiar with the store to catch them. Joining a CSA or cow-share will save you more money. I'm ok going to the high-end grocery here to get some things, since they pay attention to quality. Asian groceries can have some good stuff too.

Really it comes down to what you cook and knowing the stores well.

kiwigal is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ayumi View Post
    We took a trip to TJ's last week and ended up throwing out almost all of the food. The quality was terrible even for the price.

The local co-op here has good prices on some things, just have to become familiar with the store to catch them. Joining a CSA or cow-share will save you more money. I'm ok going to the high-end grocery here to get some things, since they pay attention to quality. Asian groceries can have some good stuff too.

Soo true!!!! GUess paying the little bit more is worth it in the end!!!

StephenHLi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ayumi View Post

Don't know which store you go to, but the TJ I frequent their checkout workers actually inspect all my produce/products for bruises, out of date or spoilage and if they find one, then they proceed to notify another worker to switch it out for a higher quality/fresh version.

I have also had no problems returning a couple "bad" products (peanut butter) without a hint of a problem. (Whole Food returns, not as pleasant an experience).

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I DO like the ends and pieces bacon at Trader Joe's. 2.99 for a pound of bacon? With big, ham-like chunks in there? Yes please. Decent eggs, well-priced nuts and great canned seafood keep us checking in there almost every weekend. It has something to offer the Primal on a budget.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Trader Joe's is far better than Whole Paycheck. I'll never step foot in that place again.

And I never have a problem finding fresh anything at TJ's, so idk where this is coming from. The one up the street from my house pitches out fruit that is even slightly ripe(annoying, really)
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

notlupus is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I mostly shop at whole foods because many of the things at Trader Joe's are processed in a facility that also processes wheat. Something to consider if you have celiac friends. I'll go to TJ's with a short list of specific things to get usually (dried fruit, nut butter, jerky, and I've heard the canned peppers are good so I think I'll try some next). For me browsing at TJ's can be a frustrating experience.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12