Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: sugar/carb addiction. HELP! page 3

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Crossfitter View Post
    Thank you all for your advice. And by the way, when I say more so than others, here's a typical sugar binge: 2-3 donuts, box of cookies, 2 candy bars, etc. You get the point. I'm not talking about eating too much fruit or a candy bar here and there. But I do certainly appreciate all of these advice. I will continue to take your suggestions as I continue the primal transition.
    Hey Crossfitter,

Believe me, I understand how you feel. I used to have the most horrific BED. At the worst stage I was binging twice a day: think a jar of nutella with a tray of cookies and a tub of ben and jerrys for breakfast. (I won't even say what Id eat at night..!)

Anyway, my point was that restricting macronutrients directly led to the binging. It started when I went veggie (age 18). Going low carb made it the worst it's ever been. I had BED for 13 years: binging at least once a week for that whole period of time and now... I don't I never thought I'd be able to say that I stopped doing it, but I did, and I got over it by allowing myself to eat what I needed, and continuing to do so.

I know it seems impossible that it's that simple, and of course there;s more to it than that, but that's the essence of it!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Personally nuking the cravings with vlc ketogenic for a month followed by slow reintroduction really worked. Like hitting the reset button for your taste and cravings. Set to factory default

Zach is offline Banned
    Are you actually doing Crossfit and also trying to restrict carbs and calories? That might be your problem right there.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    I doubt many of us are addicted to "sugar" or "carbs." What are your cravings? Cookies? Potato chips? Brownies? Ice cream? Cake? Many of these foods are higher in fat than carbs, but why are they considered carb addictions or sugar addictions? Take a spoon to a bag of sugar. Take a spoon to a bag of flour. See how far you get with each. People are generally addicted to the fat/sugar/starch combination. Those are our three sources of fuel, so when your brain gets a dose of all three combined in one single item (like a chocolate chip cookie), it goes into overdrive and demands more, even if you're full. It's an evolutionary thing - your body preps for the long winter by eating well when food is readily available. For us in modern times, though, that long winter never comes.

IMO the best thing you can do is start separating your fats, sugars and starches. I try to follow these rules for myself in general:

1.) Always make protein the center of every meal. It is the most filling and least fattening macronutrient.
    2.) If you are eating a particularly fatty meal, avoid significant carbohydrate consumption.
    3.) If you are eating a particularly carb heavy meal, avoid significant dietary fat consumption.

It's tough to overeat potatoes, but it's easy to overeat a loaded baked potato topped with butter, sour cream and bacon. Know what I mean?
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crossfitter View Post
    here's a typical sugar binge: 2-3 donuts, box of cookies, 2 candy bars, etc.
    This is more a fat binge than a sugar binge. All those things: donuts, cookies and candy bars - contain more fat calories than sugar calories in general. The primary source of calories is fry oils, butter/vegetable oil and cocoa butter/hydrogenated fats, respectively. It's the fat/sugar/starch combo triggering your overeating. Just try to separate your fats and carbs. You're overeating when you mix the macros.

You can also try creatively readjusting your tastes if you're having trouble separating. Learn to kill a cookie craving with a buttered sweet potato, or a steak and some fruit. Your body is really just craving the fats and carbs, so do your best reallocating them to healthier sources.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

There is a lot of research of the addictive properties of sugar combined with fat.

I think a lot of what people saying si right - when you eat nutrient dense food, you may find some of your cravings go away.

That said, I think people are also minimizing what can actually be an addiction. i totally believe with health eating (getting nutrients, replacing slow carbs with nutritious carbs) etc.

One of the things that helped me with binging was not being so scared of health fat (i.e. fat from high quality meat sources, avacodas, coconut oil). Eating enough fat definitely helped with binging and feeling satiated.

But what also has helped me immensely - was therapy. I do recommend therapy or going to some support group in addition to eating primal. Eating primal will definitely be a tool - but I don't think primal alone is the cure for someone with a life time of food addiction.

GiGiEats is offline Senior Member
    I love stevia. It's hotly debated, some believe it primal while others don't - I am going with PRIMAL because it definitely helps jazz up black coffee or butternut squash - and it curbs a sweet tooth any day of the week!

HelenLouise is offline Senior Member
    I cut everything out for a month although its REALLY hard finding where those sneakily added sugars and wheat are. I found cravings subsided after 2/3 weeks but before that eating an awesome steak and veg meal seriously helped the cravings. But after my month is up, I'm looking forward to attempting some paleo baking.

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    I have had no cravings for months until now. Was just away for a few days and had some difficulty with getting as much meat and low carb as I am used to. So then found myself binging on my favourite old English candies. Acks... I just can't put them down. Home now aware that I am going to have to do a whole 30. Seems hard right now. I know how you feel, but we just have to stick it out for a while and the monster will go back into its black hole.... Eating what you want works for some people but for me as soon as I eat sugar (my English candies tend to be Dolly Mix and Jelly Babies, almost pure sugar) I am scouring the drawers and kitchen for more, have to eat the whole bag and out wanting them the next day. With it out of my system for a period of time I am totally in control.
    Last edited by Silvergirl; 06-22-2013 at 07:48 PM.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

patski is offline Senior Member
    Honey, if you find yourself binge eating, you may have an eating disorder. Not uncommon in the least in the paleo community.

Or just let yourself eat what you want, when you want it, in reasonable amounts, and then you won't binge as much. Just a thought.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast