Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: sugar/carb addiction. HELP! page 2

TTBlue21 is offline Senior Member
    Each person has their own "addiction" to sugar. I gave up candy, ice cream, etc. but would still eat fruit. The fruit continually triggered desires for the other stuff. I had to give up all sugar completely for a month before I realized: I consume a lot of sugar, I feel completely different without sugar, and my sugar binges/urges can snowball from healthy foods (apples, oranges, watermelon, etc.) and from sugar substitutes.

I suggest going cold turkey. The first few days are the hardest. If you have a few bad days just start over and don't get depressed and convince yourself you can't do it. Learn from your mistakes (triggers/desires) and start again.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Stop buying the sugar or whatever trigger food that's causing you to overeat. You can't munch on it if it's not in the house.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    Stop buying the sugar or whatever trigger food that's causing you to overeat. You can't munch on it if it's not in the house.
    There's no question that sweets are some kind of a trigger. But that's not the whole answer. I doubt anybody here who feels addicted to "sugar" is dipping a spoon into the sugar bowl and shoveling it into their mouths.

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    How are you getting sugar? By tall coffees laced with it or by Pixie sticks or dark chocolate or by fried apple pies, or by fruit? I think saying sugar addiction is a little vague when it might not be just sugar.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

kiwigal is offline Senior Member
    When I have a craving I also try to fulfill that craving too with Paleo treat. Paleo pancakes OR chocolate chip cookies. I've made Paleo chocolate cake.

Usually making Paleo treats fulfill and satisy the sweet craving and I'm back on track the next day!!!

I too struggle with a severe sugar addiction. When I first went Primal, it was like the hardest two weeks of my life and then it got easier.

For that first 2-3 weeks - be very strict - no sugar or processed foods. Don't forget - that even restaurants will brine their chicken in a salt/sugar solution and almost every sauce has sugar in it. Those things can be trigger foods - so go without. Be diligent aboutmking sure hidden sugar doesn't get in your food.

Even though for losing weight, lower carb is advised, while you are breaking the sugar addiction, I don't think low carb is necessary - eat sweet potatoes, berries, etc to help you get through. Yes, its still sugars ... but its not the same as white sugar/corn syrup/and white flour - lower glycemic impact - doesn't tend to trigger sugar binging. No honey, agave, etc either.

You need to treat white sugar/corn syrup /white flour like a drug - at least at first. Not even one bite. In time, it will become much easier and you may be able to incorporate them into cheat meals following the general rule that a small percentage of your life can be non-primal.

I also suggest you find emotional/social support. There are lots of great groups like OA and Smart Recovery. I personally don't like OA because I have a hard time with the "higher power" thing - so Smart Recovery is a non-regiious option. You may also want to consider therapy.

^^some people are suggesting no fruit - unlike me. That is totally valid too - see what owrks for you. For me, it was okay - and what made me able to actually stick to plan for the first month or so. But it is definitely a valid point that for some people, fruits etc wouldn't be that good.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    If you're craving something it's either an addiction, or else it's something you need.

When I gave up eating meat I got terrible meat cravings for the first month. Then they went away, and I didn't miss eating meat (though I would dream about it). Now I eat meat and I realise that, even though I didn't have cravings, my body adjusted to the lack of protein in other (detrimental) ways.

My point? There's nothing wrong with carbs. If you want fruit or potatoes, eat them. I aim for balance now.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Crossfitter is offline Junior Member
    Thank you all for your advice. And by the way, when I say more so than others, here's a typical sugar binge: 2-3 donuts, box of cookies, 2 candy bars, etc. You get the point. I'm not talking about eating too much fruit or a candy bar here and there. But I do certainly appreciate all of these advice. I will continue to take your suggestions as I continue the primal transition.

Reba is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    it's a hard habit to break, but if you think of it like any other addiction, like drugs or alcohol, and tell yourself that "no, just one little bit WILL hurt me" then you'll figure out alternatives. If you feed the dragon, it gets bigger. So just don't feed it. It can take up to 4 days to get over the initial sugar withdrawal and icky feeling, but it does end. As soon as you give in to that craving though, it's another 4 days to get clean again.

When I was first starting out I found that going with something completely opposite of sweet helped me a lot, and it has worked for a lot of other people. Have pickles, or olives. Always have something easy and healthy to reach for instead of something you should be avoiding. As someone above said, if you don't have it in the house, you can't eat it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast