Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your 20% page

js65 is offline Junior Member

Your 20%

Shop Now
    For those of you who follow the 80/20 rule, what do you do for your 20% and what do you consider 20%?
    Let Food Be Your Medicine and Medicine Be Your Food
    -Hippocrates

JamieRose is offline Member
    I consider my big morning mug of coffee my twenty percent. I just can't give it up!

kmacphee is offline Senior Member
    My waffles are in the 20% because I have tried many different recipes to see if I can move them into the 80% category with no luck. They are better as I use less whole wheat flour and more coconut flour, coconut milk, and I have ditched (a long time ago) the soy milk for whole milk.

Bread, so long as it is not white. It has to weight a significant amount for me to even buy it, so chances are it is more dense than regular whole wheat bread that I used to buy.

I sprinkle a bit of Kashi Go Lean Crunch on my nuts and berries once in a while, but I have also moved from soy to heavy cream.

When I am out for dinner (restaurant or as a house guest) I generally sample the desert. Most 'deserts' I make at home are 80-100% paleo/primal.

The chocolate is 70% dark, so I guess you can say that the other 30% is not fitting within the 80% rule.

I guess that is it.

naiadknight is offline Senior Member
    Whatever seasoning steakhouses and burger shacks use; as much as I shouldn't, The rare bit of soy sauce; more chocolate than I should.

Sharonll is offline Senior Member
    - Too many Brussels sprouts, as they can up my carb % very quickly
    - My reliance on full-fat dairy to keep my fat % where I want it, hope to bring the consumption down when I reach maintenance
    - Beets, I love 'em, but haven't had any for a month
    - 85% chocolate if I have more than 2 squares per week
    - Store-bought mayo when I'm lazy and don't feel like making my own
    - Homemade coconut/heavy cream ice cream when I've already eaten enough through the day

Sherissima is offline Member
    - Coffee. Black and strong, 1-2 mugs per day
    - Dairy: butter daily, goat cheese and heavy cream occasionally
    - Chocolate. I have 1-2 squares of 70+% almost every day (with coffee!)
    - Mayonnaise, though I go for organic and only have it maybe once a week
    - Flaxseed LC muffins, when I'm fed up with fried eggs for breakfast and too hungry to IF; on average, once a week

I occasionally eat fruit (usually berries) and nuts, but I consider them part of the 80%.

ETA: Just remembered wine. Red wine, that is, on average 1 unit per fortnight (i.e. 3 evenings of drinking a couple of glasses since I started Primal in January). I count that part of the 80% too!
    Last edited by Sherissima; 05-22-2010 at 02:26 PM.

JamieRose is offline Member
    Ah, I also eat butter almost every day, and sometimes full fat yogurt, if we're counting dairy. Mmmm butter.

ETA: Also forgot red wine!! Only once a month at most, though.

PrairieProf is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherissima View Post
    - Coffee. Black and strong, 1-2 mugs per day
    - Dairy: butter daily, goat cheese and heavy cream occasionally
    - Chocolate. I have 1-2 squares of 70+% almost every day (with coffee!)
    - Mayonnaise, though I go for organic and only have it maybe once a week
    - Flaxseed LC muffins, when I'm fed up with fried eggs for breakfast and too hungry to IF; on average, once a week

I occasionally eat fruit (usually berries) and nuts, but I consider them part of the 80%.

ETA: Just remembered wine. Red wine, that is, on average 1 unit per fortnight (i.e. 3 evenings of drinking a couple of glasses since I started Primal in January). I count that part of the 80% too!
    Pretty similar here, though I eat a good bit of yogurt too (Greek yogurt and a local organic yogurt that's very low carb), and some cottage cheese too. Coconut flour pancakes once a week or so (that or the flax muffins are my breakfast 1-2x per week). Non-primal condiments in small amounts as well as the mayo, though I'm careful with the ingredients and carb count. Some processed turkey sausage just cuz I find it tasty and it's easy to keep in the freezer.

I wouldn't count fruit/nuts as the 20% ... they might be for some ultra-purists on this board, but they're certainly positioned as part of the 80% in the actual book.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Ok non primal ingredients I use in tiny amounts once in a while:

soy sauce (my hubby hates the tamari I bought, sigh)
    store bought mayo

My cheats?

Chocolate
    nibbles of almost any grain free desert I come across (we eat out less than once a month so this is no big deal.)
    BANANAS!!!
    Peanut butter (usually with the banana!)
    wine and gin and tonics with lime lime lime! lol

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Back when I was lifting I used to eat tons of white rice on Sundays to replenish glycogen, anabolic diet style. That is about it. Also a dark chocolate bar now and then.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast