Thread: Gaining weight? :( page

cindy01 is offline Member

Gaining weight? :(

Primal Fuel
    I've been Primal for a few weeks, started low carbish and lost plenty of weight but didn't feel that great, so gradually I started added carbs back in the form of starches and fruits, now I have one potato a day and some fruits and feel a lot better. I've gone from about 50g carbs to 100-120g carbs in a month and now my jeans are tight again, I'm probably at the same weight I've started with.

I track EVERYTHING and all my calories and I'm at a 300-500 cal deficit. I should be losing according to my tracking app. I have never cheated and always keep carbs consistent. I do cardio a few times week but I've noticed my workouts are sluggish so I may even add more carbs soon. I know adding carbs = water weight but I added them in gradually.

I'm a female, 26, 5'7 and 170 lbs. Here's a typical daily food intake:

3 egg omelette with some veggies
    An apple or banana
    Some cheese snacks
    A steak and grilled chicken with some sweet potato fries and more veggies.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    A couple things:
    Fat Loss is slow. Water weight/bloat comes off quickly. Fat Loss is slow.
    Cheese can bloat you. Sweet potato fries could have veggie oil in them (I make my own with coconut oil). Night shades cn also bloat you. (Potato).

I vary about 3-4 lbs over the course of a week. Usually my high weight is friday morning (176 or so) and my low will be 172 or so on Monday morning. I tend to eat more carbs during the week as I do Crossfit M-F and generally have extra fruit, some rice, a potato most days. On the weekends, I tend to eat VLC.

For me, about every month I drop a pound or so, so like back in APril, the swing was more like 178-179 to 174-175.

Bottom line, for me, carbs plus exercise bloats me, but it also helps burn fat and build muscle. I feel really flabby on Monday mornings and pretty tight come Friday.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Your low carb diet simply lost you a little water, not fat. So you will have to either a) have a little patience or b) eat fewer calories. Try the a first, then b.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    If losing weight is your goal, then go back to what you were doing when you lost "plenty of weight."...even if you feel like crap. I'm not a fan of feeling like crap, so in your shoes I would probably try tweaking things a bit and temporarily ditching the cheese and fruit and replacing it with more fat, meat and veggies. I'd also look at other non-food lifestyle stressors/behaviors that might be causing my body to hold onto fat.

5'7" and 170lb is not unreasonable, especially if you have a larger frame and some muscle. The number on the scale is pretty irrelevant really. How do your clothes fit?

Also, as women I think we need to give it at least a couple of months to see how our cycles play into it. If you've only been doing this a couple of weeks you have no way of knowing if your body holds and releases fat cyclically.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Mistizoom is offline Junior Member
    Did you eat plenty of sodium, such as in the form of bone broth or plenty of sea salt when you ate low carb? Did you give it more than a week or two to get over the carb flu? If not, then you might try low carb again and this time eat plenty of sodium (3-5 grams a day) and see how that goes.

cindy01 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in BC View Post
    If losing weight is your goal, then go back to what you were doing when you lost "plenty of weight."...even if you feel like crap. I'm not a fan of feeling like crap, so in your shoes I would probably try tweaking things a bit and temporarily ditching the cheese and fruit and replacing it with more fat, meat and veggies. I'd also look at other non-food lifestyle stressors/behaviors that might be causing my body to hold onto fat.

5'7" and 170lb is not unreasonable, especially if you have a larger frame and some muscle. The number on the scale is pretty irrelevant really. How do your clothes fit?

Also, as women I think we need to give it at least a couple of months to see how our cycles play into it. If you've only been doing this a couple of weeks you have no way of knowing if your body holds and releases fat cyclically.
    I gave low carb EIGHT weeks with no cheating. 150g of fat a day, no starch or fruit. Honestly, it was torture but I stuck it out for the 8 weeks, feeling terrible throughout. Initially, I wanted to do 12 weeks, but it was affecting my concentration, emotions and strength so severely. I had poor memory and overall fatigue. I researched every suggestion, added electrolyte supplementation, increased salt. I just concluded it wasn't for me, the pure torture wasn't worth the weight loss or appetite suppression. I will never venture into the low carb territory again. The low carb 'flu' just worsened every week.

Would it be sensible to incorporate carb cycling? Maybe it's just some muscle or the bloating from the food. I use sweeteners in my tea, might have to cut that back.

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    It's probably water retention from adding carbs back in.

Just give it some time for your body to adjust. Like others have said, fat loss is a slow process, you have to think long term and stay committed.

Be patient!
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog: