Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Acne page

november is offline Member

Acne

Primal Fuel
    Anyone who's managed to improve their skin have any tips to share? Severe acne runs in my family and I resorted to Accutane about 5 years ago to clear it. It worked very well for a few years, but in the last 6 months the breakouts have been starting up again...first around my mouth/chin, now some really painful bumps on my cheeks that freak me out because they're the same kind that caused scarring in my pre-accutane days. Unfortunately, topical medication just seems to dry out my skin or make things worse...I actually just started retin-a cream and it's causing a terrible initial breakout. My skin looks worse than it has in years and I'm not sure whether to stick it out or quit now. I use Dr. Hauschka cleanser, toner, moisturizer, and makeup which are top-of-the-line products (at least it costs approximately what my soul is worth to stock up on them :P), so I think the problem is mostly hormonal/genetic.

Overall my diet has been PB-ish for the last several years, although only recently have I bitten the bullet and started buying grass-fed beef instead of just the antibiotic/hormone free variety. I think the acne was triggered by a period where I was eating daily servings of organic dairy, but even now that I've cut it out, my skin is not clearing up like I'd hoped.

What I ate yesterday:

Breakfast: 1/2 lb grass fed steak, 2 eggs
    Lunch: green smoothie with mango, banana, spinach, blueberries
    Snack: almonds
    Dinner: Bison burger on sourdough spelt bread, salad
    Snack: cherries and macadamia nuts

I do eat more fruit and nuts than many PB people, but from trial and error I find my skin, energy, and digestion get worse if I cut them out and do only meat/veggies. The only gluten in my diet is from the aforementioned spelt bread, which is yeast-free, and maybe twice a week will have some ice cream, dark chocolate, or wine (I know these could all be triggers, but I'm hesitant to give up these occasional treats...I feel like if my body were healthy, these things in moderation shouldn't cause acne). I do a green smoothie every day and I put lots of anti-inflammatory stuff in it--ginger, cinnamon, aloe vera gel, etc. I make fresh veggie juice a couple times a week. I also drink 2-3 cups of green tea daily, take a food-based multivitamin, 1g fish oil, 30mg of extra zinc in the morning and magnesium at night, and an adrenal supplement called Drenamin. For reference, I'm a 26 year old female, BMI of 20 but a little on the "skinny fat" side, with some IBS and chronic fatigue issues.

Anyway, if you read this novella of a post and have any suggestions, they're much appreciated.

Nivanthe is offline Senior Member
    I hate to point out the bread thing, but my worst acne offender was the innocent bowl of oatmeal every morning. Try cutting out the bread completely and see if it helps.

Don't put much stock into the super expensive cleansers either ... I used to buy all the top stuff (the most expensive must work the best, right?!!) and my skin is pretty much flawless using just olive oil now. Much easier on the wallet, too.

Also notable for me is cheap, sugary ice cream. I always know when I have a crap dessert because my chin will break out the next day. If you want to keep the ice cream, splurge on the higher-quality kind.

Oh, also I've been thinking of trying some kind of hormone-balancing herb for women but there are quite a few to choose from...chaste tree berry, dong quai, raspberry leaf, etc. Anyone know which might be most indicated for acne?

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    What gets "worse" about your digestion when you stop eating fruit & nuts?

IBS-C, IBS-D, or both?

All of this says to me that you have some problems with your gut, which is a pretty key factor in overall health. Do you have any kind of probiotic foods or supplement in your regular diet?

Yes, in moderation, a healthy person should not be severely affected by treats, but apparently something is not healthy here. It would be best for you to cut out the treats (and spelt bread) for at least two weeks to make sure those are not making an impact. A month would be ideal. Is there something else you could eat at night as a treat that would not leave you feeling deprived of the other things?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by november View Post
    Oh, also I've been thinking of trying some kind of hormone-balancing herb for women but there are quite a few to choose from...chaste tree berry, dong quai, raspberry leaf, etc. Anyone know which might be most indicated for acne?
    Get your hormone levels tested before you start messing with that. Any kind of hormonal imbalance could cause acne, frankly, so it's important to know what might actually be imbalanced before you try to fix it.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Quote Originally Posted by Nivanthe View Post
    I hate to point out the bread thing, but my worst acne offender was the innocent bowl of oatmeal every morning. Try cutting out the bread completely and see if it helps.

Don't put much stock into the super expensive cleansers either ... I used to buy all the top stuff (the most expensive must work the best, right?!!) and my skin is pretty much flawless using just olive oil now. Much easier on the wallet, too.

Also notable for me is cheap, sugary ice cream. I always know when I have a crap dessert because my chin will break out the next day. If you want to keep the ice cream, splurge on the higher-quality kind.
    *Sigh* you're probably right about the bread...it's a pretty recent addition and I was so excited to have bread again since it's the only kind that doesn't seem to upset my stomach and cause carb cravings...but gluten is gluten and it could still be causing some inflammation.

I actually live down the block from an ice cream shop that makes fabulous homemade ice cream. Unfortunately, that seems to make it a lot easier to justify the "ice cream is a healthy addition to a balanced diet!" rationalization, haha. Plus they have bacon ice cream, which is totally primal, right?

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    Yep, dairy and sugar give me spots too.

Related: Since going primal, have noticed that friends who complain most about their skin are minutes later discussing their high cheesecake/ice cream etc consumption.

Nivanthe is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by november View Post
    I actually live down the block from an ice cream shop that makes fabulous homemade ice cream. Unfortunately, that seems to make it a lot easier to justify the "ice cream is a healthy addition to a balanced diet!" rationalization, haha.
    Well, technically it can be... Nothing wrong with treats every once in a while assuming you don't go overboard*. Trying to avoid something like that, and overeating other things in an attempt to satisfy the craving seems silly, when you could just have a bit of ice cream and be done with it.

*And can tolerate dairy. Diet vs lifestyle, all that. by all means, remove it for a while if you need and see if you have an intolerance, but otherwise [good] ice cream isn't that bad.

Barnyard is offline Senior Member
    I know I had a spot on my forehead that I think was rosacea, and since I cut all grains (except for occassional corn chips with guacamole), that spot is gone! I have had acne all my life and it's not so bad these days, but I didn't see any improvement in the acne.....but that red kind of raw looking spot right in the middle of my forehead is gone! And my knees don't hurt any more! YAY!

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    As far as non-diet related treatments go, I found a 20% salicylic acid gel peel dud the trick. A few years ago I somehow broke out in spots all over my face and it was the only thing non-rx that helped.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast