Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Acne page 2

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    As far as non-diet related treatments go, I found a 20% salicylic acid gel peel dud the trick. A few years ago I somehow broke out in spots all over my face and it was the only thing non-rx that helped.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    Going completely gluten-free does a lot for my skin. I've never had cystic acne, but I used to get annoying hormonal breakouts on my jaw, chin and neck. I played around a lot with different factors, like sugar, dairy, etc, and what I discovered is that gluten has a gigantic effect. I'm completely off it now, but on very rare occasions I'll cheat, and when I do, I just know I can expect a breakout within a week. And it happens like clockwork.

Cutting out gluten also vastly reduced my PMS symptoms, to the point where I have to look at a calendar to know when my period is coming or it'll surprise me.

Echoing what others have said about expensive skincare--the best routine I've found is coconut oil to cleanse and moisturize daily, with a light salicylic acid cleanse or enzyme mask (Alba makes one I love) every few days. And otherwise, I just let it be. However, I'm not a big makeup wearer. (But when I do wear it, there's nothing better than coconut oil for getting it off!)

ahuderot is offline Junior Member
    I had acne for the first 28 years of my life. I did two changes then: 1. Mostly ditch grains and unhealthy carbs; and 2. Drink a lot of water.
    Since then, I don't develop acne. It started working immediately! But I don't know which one worked for me. In the weeks that I drink less water and/or consume some grains, I develop very small ones.
    Hope this helps.

dirk41 is offline Senior Member
    I used to get moderate acne but completely cutting out grains eliminated it almost entirely. I also avoid starchy foods like potatoes and sugar (though I do eat chocolate). I still eat dairy. I would cut out grains, sugar, and dairy completely and see how you are. You have to experiment to find out what your trigger is.

I also don't use any kind of topical ointment on my face. Just avoid touching your face and avoid your trigger(s) and your face should be clear in a few months.

kiwigal is offline Senior Member
    My acne disappeared when I gave up wheat, dairy and all sugar!!! I pretty much stick to VLC but at least my skin glows LOL

StephenHLi is offline Senior Member
    Try homemade kefir!

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    It's different for everybody!

Some things that make my skin worse:
    Washing my face with anything but cold water
    Bad oils
    Lack of good fats, especially saturated
    Dairy, which simultaneously can cause constipation, which also worsens any acne - a dastardly duo!

Some things that make my skin clearer:
    Green tea
    Freshly dug dandelion tea
    Cold water
    Sunshine
    Bacon, tallow, other good sources of animal fat
    Only washing my face/showering when necessary, like once every three days or if I get really dirty
    Fasting

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    That feeling when never had a pimple in my life
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

november is offline Junior Member
    Well interestingly enough my skin has cleared up a lot after just a few days of cutting the bread and reducing my fruit intake to 2 small servings. I do wonder if I've been overdoing it on the fruit...coming from a high-raw diet, I'm used to eating many servings a day--I'd think nothing of eating two mangoes and a big bowl of grapes in one sitting. My skin actually glowed on raw vegan, but it wasn't a sustainable diet, and in my understanding, high meat and fat plus high fruit = impaired glucose tolerance and potentially, acne.

Edit: I have also been taking this probiotic for about a month now, perhaps it's starting to kick in: http://www.ascendedhealth.com/probio...c_Proalive.htm

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    That feeling when never had a pimple in my life
    Lucky you.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast