Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lou Ana coconut oil? page

Barnyard is offline Senior Member

Lou Ana coconut oil?

Primal Fuel
    Anyone know anything about Lou Ana coconut oil? I bought it cause it's a little cheaper, and this is the first time I have ever bought it....when I got it home, I noticed it said "Refined from the meat of mature coconuts so there is no coconut flavor or aroma"....made me wonder about it! It really doesn't taste or smell like coconut, which is OK with me as I really am not a big fan of coconut, but is that OK, that it doesn't smell or taste like coconut? (well, maybe it does just a little). I was able to stomach some of it plain (1 tsp.), and getting ready to have another 1/2 tbsp. in my coffee.....thoughts?

PeaceCorpsCaveMan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnyard View Post
    Anyone know anything about Lou Ana coconut oil? I bought it cause it's a little cheaper, and this is the first time I have ever bought it....when I got it home, I noticed it said "Refined from the meat of mature coconuts so there is no coconut flavor or aroma"....made me wonder about it! It really doesn't taste or smell like coconut, which is OK with me as I really am not a big fan of coconut, but is that OK, that it doesn't smell or taste like coconut? (well, maybe it does just a little). I was able to stomach some of it plain (1 tsp.), and getting ready to have another 1/2 tbsp. in my coffee.....thoughts?
    I don't know for sure, but I believe the reason it doesn't smell or taste like coconut is because it is cold pressed under high pressure. If it was heat pressed, it would have more coconut characteristics.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceCorpsCaveMan View Post
    I don't know for sure, but I believe the reason it doesn't smell or taste like coconut is because it is cold pressed under high pressure. If it was heat pressed, it would have more coconut characteristics.
    Thanks for the reply.....Is one way better than the other?

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    LouAna is highly processed with high heat and deodorized. You are better off sticking with EVCO if you are looking for health benefits.
    You'll be better off with expeller pressed like Spectrum if you want refined CO.

Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    LouAna is highly processed with high heat and deodorized. You are better off sticking with EVCO if you are looking for health benefits.
    You'll be better off with expeller pressed like Spectrum if you want refined CO.
    Thanks Graycat! So are you saying Lou Ana is bad? just paid 8 something for it....

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Lou Ana coconut oil is made from hardened coconut by-products called Copra after all the "premium" coconut content has been removed for other uses (like shredded flakes). It is heated up, bleached, refined, deordorized and then processed with lye.

There is a reason it's 4 dollars at walmart where a brand like nutiva will run you 20.
    Read more here:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread23105.html

Edited to add: Personally, since fats are the one food group that I'm the most picky about I would not use LouAnna CO.
    Last edited by Graycat; 06-21-2013 at 08:30 AM.

pfair143 is offline Member
    Don't throw it away. You can still us it on your legs, face, hair as a deep conditioner, mosquito bites, small cuts and scrapes, or slather on your feet and cover with socks overnight. I buy LouAnn just for this purpose, but I buy the good stuff for the inside.

I was thinking about using LouAnna for teeth pulling because it is cheaper and I don't want to waste my good coconut oil when I just spit it out at the end. Do you guys think LouAnna would be ok for that?

And for the OP, getting Nutiva on Amazon (order enough for free shipping) is most affordable way to get good quality coconut oil if none is sold in your area locally.
    My Recipes are at: www.southbeachprimal.com

Pooka is offline Member
    Spectrum Organic Coconut Oil has no flavor as well, and is refined without chemicals. It's a little pricier than the Lou-Ann, but not enough to be prohibitive, IMO. It's available at the Wal-Marts in our area, so it's readily available here. Pretty much my go-to cooking oil (sauteing, oven fries, etc.).

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Tropical Traditions Refined Coconut Oil is mechanically refined. No solvents, no extreme heat. It comes in 5 gallon buckets so the economy of scale makes it more than cheap enough to do oil pulling with.

Plus, when you're done, you still have a perfectly good 5-gallon bucket, which will eventually save you $2.49 or whatever they're getting for a plastic 5-gallon bucket at the home improvements stores these days.

Srsly though, wait until Trop Trad has a free shipping sale and order 5 gallons. I've been trading and bartering using this stuff as currency for 6 months, in addition to deep frying in it, oil pulling with it, shaving with it, rubbing it all over certain ladies, and occasionally using it in my hair to make a little jerseydouchehawk, and I still have more than half the bucket left.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast