Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal * tfarny page

tfarny is offline Senior Member

Primal Journal * tfarny

Primal Fuel
    OK, so nearly three months in and I'm ready to start a chronicle. This is usually the point at which my attempts to get healthier have faltered in the past, so it's a good time to double down and keep a public record of my success or failure.

Back story: I was always a tall skinny kid, who was always a bit weak / nonathletic until my 20s when I moved to Asia and got in much better shape (not the army, just an English teacher). Did a lot of active stuff including 100 mile trek in Nepal, climbed an 11,000 foot volcano starting from the beach in Indonesia, lots of snowboarding, etc. Used to have a 2-hour round trip bicycle commute which I did year-round in Japan. Not iron man, but definitely a healthy active guy.

Moved back the states, started graduate school and slowly lost my shape and gained 40 lbs instead. The last couple of years I tried multiple times to cut the fat, exercise more, you know the drill. Nothing helped. This winter a friend of mine went primal and his great success inspired me.

I started doing this March 1 or thereabouts: 6'1" 220 lb, good sized love handles on a skinny frame but not obese. 10 pushups were my absolute max. Could not do a chin up or pull up. Could not run a mile.

I am now almost certain that I am gluten / wheat intolerant to a significant degree and have been my whole life, which explains a huge number of things. I have lost 23 lb in 10 weeks and gained significantly in my fitness: 2 miles in 20 minutes, 3 or 4 unassisted chin ups, and maybe 30 pushups (I haven't maxed out on regular pushups for a while, I've been doing different variations). It's true what they say: the diet change gives me the energy to do the exercise, plus ensures that I get max benefits from the exercise. 80% diet, 20% other.

Goals: lose another 7-8 lb at least, run the 2 miles in 16 minutes, 60 pushups and 10 pull ups, plus be able to do lots of other fit things. In yoga, I'd like to be able to hold a handstand.

These pics are from right before going primal, I don't have any classic "before" shirtless pics, but you get the idea. I'll post more before pics when I can and other pics as I go along.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Backstory done!
    Today: IF till afternoon (two cups coffee with heavy cream). PM snack - dunno, maybe some cashews and a piece of cheese.
    Dinner - probably some flank steak with a simple sauce and some leftover veggies - asparagus, brussels sprouts, yellow pepper.

WOD: dips, pull ups, pushups, overhead press, some ab work on the big ball (haven't decided exactly). Some easy deadlifts at the end - still working on form for that.

Evita is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like your off to a great start! Keep it up!
    I love all the music stuff by the way...those marshalls look great with a beer on top! haha
    Grok on

Yesterday:
    Breakfast: Shake (my recipe: fage, milk, whey powder, cup of berries, 2 raw eggs, all organic / pastured)
    Lunch: A pear, hunk of cheddar, some pecans
    Pre-sports snack: another pear and some Goat Milk Yogurt (14 grams carbs, very natural and delish)
    WOD: 2 hrs full-speed singles racquetball
    Dinner: Big plate of BBQ pork ribs, some leftover lamb mixed in the BBQ sauce, a side salad w/ 1/2 avocado.
    20%: 2 glasses pinot noir
    A high carb day, I guess, but I am finding I need that sugar to get through the racquetball, and I'm sure I burn it right off.

Bfast: fage / coconut milk / blueberries w my coffee. First time w/the coconut milk, and it was awesome. Buying a case soon!
    Lunch: Leftover grassfed cheeseburger patty and a stuffed cabbage thing from the takeout. Cabbage had some rice in it and the sauce was a bit sweet, not very primal
    Dinner: Grass fed meatball spaghetti sauce w/ extra butter in it, over butter-sauteed julienned sliced yellow squash. Salad w/baby spinach, feta, avocado, and persian cucumbers, EVOO & balsamic. Still stuffed!
    It was all good, but actually the squash was the best part - nobody ever said that about plain noodles did they. Lots o food today, zero snacking though. Just a hungry day.

Exercise: 4 mile walk. I took my heart rate monitor along and found that I'm only getting to 100 bpm max during my normal hike - barely into the 50% zone. And I do feel like I could walk all day long these days. On the one hand, this is probably a great indicator that I'm reaching a better level of overall fitness. On the other hand, it means I should mix some jogging in and maybe go more distance to hit the sweet spot of low level cardio.
    Yesterday WOD: parallel grip pullups, pushups w/ a 20 pound backpack on, handclap pushups, weighted dips, overhead press, clean and jerk, nearly passed out at the end. Promise to squat tomorrow unless I sprint....

WOD: 3 mile hike followed by 5 x 120 meter sprints and some random plyo-till-puke exercises: one legged bleacher hops, and a thing I do on an 18 inch concrete cube in the park: hop up, down to the right, back up, down in front, up backwards, down to the left, back up, back to start. 4 times around is a "set". I need to name these things, and it's very cool to make up your own exercises on the spot.
    All on a 16 hour IF.
    limped / crawled home and had a smoothie: fage, 1 banana, 1 raw egg, coconut milk, bit of 1/2 and 1/2, whey powder. 50 grams protein, about 30 carbs, about 650 calories down the hatch. Finished with a pint of ice water and some mixed raw nuts, fish oil and a multi. Did my exercise shirtless so no D for me today.
    I feel very primal today! Too bad I have to sit in front of the computer now and finish up some work.

WOD: pullups (only 4 unassisted on the first set), pushups with a bag of books on my back, couple dumb abs things I abandoned, clean and jerk followed by overhead press (what's this called? I know it has its own name), weighted dips. I feel like I should be doing more on lifting days, but if I'm doing it inside I have limited gear and space. Maybe I'll change up the reps and order of stuff.

Food: @1 pm, 3 eg omelette filled with leftover pork chop and bacon, plus a fage / whey / banana / coconut milk smoothie. Could not finish all. Too much protein in one go! @ 8 pm, wild salmon and leftover veggies. No booze or snacks.

Tomorrow: just a long walk, leftovers for bfast (salmon and eggs!), and for dinner, trout with sauteed leeks and an avocado / tomato salad.

Today WOD: Nothing, maybe a hike. Tweaked something in my upper back / shoulder yesterday doing pushups with my feet on the top of the park bench, and pullups. Might need to take 2/3 days off, I've had some pinched nerve thing going on all week.
    Yesterday food: not a very primal day - had a whey shake after workout, a banana before, a bit of eggs, sausage, cheese, and marinara but realized I wasnt really hungry (will be today's lunch mmm). Couple beers with a friend - what can I say it was boiling hot and we were out. That gave me serious carb cravings, and coming home I chowed on the Indian takeout my wife brought home - with plenty of rice. Then another drink, just because. Followed by chocolate. Woke up in the middle of the night ravenous, finished off the curry.
    Weird isn't it - this wouldn't have been unusual at all 3 months ago, but now I think about this as "losing control" - my whole mindset towards eating has changed, not just the food I take in.
    Today: I had some full fat low sugar yoghurt and some coffee, plan to finish off the eggs / sausage leftovers, and cook up some skirt steak and veg for dinner. No real carbs today.

Oh yeah - and I weighed in at 195 lbs post-racquetball, so I've officially lost 25 lbs and only 5 more to go to reach the coveted yet meaningless BMI < 25 (ie not "overweight"). More noticeable is my body composition.

I was in a 36" jean for years, and probably would have been more comfy in a 38, but recently they were just falling off of me. So I go to the gap and grab a pair of "loose fit" 34s and take them home, just assuming they'll be tight but good. I was really happy to get smaller jeans. What happened - way too loose! Took them back the next day and changed for a 33" standard fit. 32" is the skinniest I've ever been, and it looks likely I'll hit that mark for the back to school sales in a couple months. Wow.

PrimalCon New York
    Had a pinched nerve in my upper back / shoulder area so I stayed away from exercise this week, except for some walks and shooting some hoop in the park. Tonight I'm back to racquetball - back feels ok.

Yesterday:
    2 eggs, all-natural pork sausage, salsa
    1/2 cup whole milk, 1/2 cup coconut milk, 1 scoop choco whey powder (lunchette)
    bolognese sauce (homemade) over coconut-oil sauteed yellow squash, salad of fresh mozzarella / tomato / fresh basil / bit of prosciutto.
    2 glasses red wine.
    I could eat at this level of PB indefinitely, but I have doubts about my ability / desire need to go too much further along the road.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast