Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plaintain Bananas page

Allenete is offline Senior Member

Plaintain Bananas

Primal Fuel
    ... What can I do with them?
    Are they actual bananas or another species? Curious but confused.

Paleo0731 is offline Senior Member
    Plantains are members of the banana family. They are starchy while bananas are sweet. 179g has approximately 220 calories, 0.5g of fat, 57g of carbs (4g fiber, 10g sugar), and 2g of protein. They are really good if you grill them or you can fry them and make chips.
    Last edited by Paleo0731; 06-20-2013 at 11:43 PM.

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    I really like them if well-seasoned - some good recipes here: plantain

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Amazingly timely. I've never had them, but yesterday I was watching an old rerun of Food(ography) and they showed a sandwich made with plantains as the bread.

The cook/chef sliced each one in half lengthwise and then across (i.e. each plantain is sliced into fourths). Then deep fry them. Then press them in a tortilla press. Then he used those as the "bread" for the sandwiches. Now I totally want to try plantains.

The video is here: Watch Food(ography) | Sandwiches online | Free | Hulu That sandwich starts at the 28 minute mark and the plantain prep starts at the 31 minute mark.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Amazingly timely. I've never had them, but yesterday I was watching an old rerun of Food(ography) and they showed a sandwich made with plantains as the bread.

The cook/chef sliced each one in half lengthwise and then across (i.e. each plantain is sliced into fourths). Then deep fry them. Then press them in a tortilla press. Then he used those as the "bread" for the sandwiches. Now I totally want to try plantains.

The video is here: Watch Food(ography) | Sandwiches online | Free | Hulu That sandwich starts at the 28 minute mark and the plantain prep starts at the 31 minute mark.
    Oh, wow - I was in the grocery store yday, staring at plantains, and I was wondering how I might be able to incorporate them into my cooking!

Joanie, I can't get Hulu on my iPad, so I did some searching, and this is what I came up with after four minutes of binging under "pressed plantains".

"Tostonera" - a plantain press!
    "Tostones" - the flattened, fried plantains
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    I like them roasted in virgin coconut oil and sprinkled with cinnamon.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    Oh, wow - I was in the grocery store yday, staring at plantains, and I was wondering how I might be able to incorporate them into my cooking!

Joanie, I can't get Hulu on my iPad, so I did some searching, and this is what I came up with after four minutes of binging under "pressed plantains".

"Tostonera" - a plantain press!
    "Tostones" - the flattened, fried plantains
    Cool - glad you found them. The one thing I miss on Primal is sandwiches. I thought I was making the ultimate sacrifice for my health when I gave up pizza, but it turns out it was sandwiches that were my love.

"Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    I usually boil and mash with coconut milk, cinnamon, nutmeg. When they're green they behave a lot like russet potatoes.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Yellow ripe ones are great boiled into stews or braised with meats and vegetables.

CE402 is offline Senior Member
    Let them get almost all black.

Peel and slice into 1/3-1/2" coins, dust with cinnamon. Cook slowly in coconut oil over med-low heat until browned and caramelized on both sides.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast