Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plaintain Bananas page 2

WeldingHank is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I like grilling or roasting super-super ripe sweet (maduros) plantains. I do sometimes fry them. They are so easy to come by around here with all the bodegas on every corner.

Ryancarter1986 is offline Senior Member
    Make sure you pierce them or might explode, Roast them in oven , until soft & gooey.
    Then I like to mash with coco oil & cinnamon or nutmeg

London

Mr. Koozie is offline Senior Member
    Do this with them. You're welcome.
    “You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.” - Ron Swanson

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    I just cooked plantains for the first time last night (tostones), some were green and some were starting to turn yellow. DS said he prefered the green. I used some for a vehicle for salmon salad (salmon mixed with salsa verde) they were great. I could see how they could be used to replace chips or crackers. The rest I served with dinner to go with grilled pork kabobs, everyone loved them.

I want to try Mr. Koozie's suggestion, so far every other paleo pancake recipe I've tried has been disappointing, but that recipe looks promising.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Mr. Koozie is offline Senior Member
    It's become my go-to pancake/waffle recipe. The only things I do different from the recipe are use ripe (mostly black) plantains and add cinnamon.
    “You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.” - Ron Swanson

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Koozie View Post
    It's become my go-to pancake/waffle recipe. The only things I do different from the recipe are use ripe (mostly black) plantains and add cinnamon.
    I made them for my son and he liked them. I'll try adding cinnamon and putting the batter in my waffle iron. I have a feeling this could be very good.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    I prefer them baked, not fried. Too greasy. I toss them in salt, chili powder, cinnamon, cocoa powder and a tablespoon of kefir or yogurt, then bake them at 450 F on a cookie sheet. 15 mins, flip, 10-15 mins. Much better than fried, but they have to be almost black first or they'll come out dry. I cut them about 1/3"-1/2" thick. Too thin and they'll dry out.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Almost completely black.
    Absolutely nothing on them. It's not necessary to add anything at all IMO.
    Just bake them until hot and gooey.

I bake them whole, just the ends trimmed off.
    If they were black enough and soft enough there is never a problem with dryness.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    I just cooked plantains for the first time last night (tostones), some were green and some were starting to turn yellow. DS said he prefered the green. I used some for a vehicle for salmon salad (salmon mixed with salsa verde) they were great. I could see how they could be used to replace chips or crackers. The rest I served with dinner to go with grilled pork kabobs, everyone loved them.

I want to try Mr. Koozie's suggestion, so far every other paleo pancake recipe I've tried has been disappointing, but that recipe looks promising.
    Yep. I tried the tostones with yellow plantains, and they came out as something sweeter than I was hoping. They also didn't hold up well to the frying. I'll get green ones next time.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

We're men, Gus; the world is our toilet.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I like the green ones made in to tostones. But I use the method where you peel them, cut in half, boil for 20 minutes, then slice, smash and pan fry in lard.

They are really delicious with a bit of pulled pork and a red onion relish. Or just plain.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12