Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tracking every mg of every micronutrient page

mike is offline Senior Member

Tracking every mg of every micronutrient

Primal Fuel
    I just started (yesterday) to use fitday.com to keep track of what I eat and get some idea of the nutrient content of the things I eat on a daily basis. Now I have first hand experience with the problems that come with calorie and nutrient counting: it's a pain in the ass, it takes a lot of time, and it probably isn't accurate. Nevertheless, now I'm spending a lot more time thinking about what I eat, so I'm curious about exactly what the nutrient content is in what I usually eat.

What's really a pain is recipes. I use sparkrecipes to calculate the nutrient content of each serving of a recipe and then I have to enter that into fitday. Does anyone else do this? Is there a better way?

Despite the big plate of swiss chard I had for dinner, according to fitday, I'm still below the RDA in a lot of micronutrients. I should average over a whole week...

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Oysters, eggs, liver, bacon (for thiamine) and seaweed will kick those numbers in the nuts. And for vitamin C, rose hips and sauerkraut are the bomb.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    And for vitamin C, rose hips and sauerkraut are the bomb.
    Strawberries and oranges are not bad either (quite more than sauerkraut)

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    And for vitamin C, rose hips and sauerkraut are the bomb.
    Strawberries and oranges are not bad either (quite more than sauerkraut)

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    At some point take into account though that the RDA isn't really based on anything.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    At some point take into account though that the RDA isn't really based on anything.
    Indeedly, I think someone computed the most strategic intake to hit it without supplements/fortification would be something like 5,500 calories.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    How true. I started learning this with Vit. D. The RDA is about 15 - 100. Now there's a range for you. So I started googling and learned a lot of interesting facts. Ultimately I found that the Optimal Range is 80 - 90. That's a whale of a difference. Some researchers are now using that term - Optimal Range. At least it's some improvement.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    I just started (yesterday) to use fitday.com to keep track of what I eat and get some idea of the nutrient content of the things I eat on a daily basis. Now I have first hand experience with the problems that come with calorie and nutrient counting: it's a pain in the ass, it takes a lot of time, and it probably isn't accurate. Nevertheless, now I'm spending a lot more time thinking about what I eat, so I'm curious about exactly what the nutrient content is in what I usually eat.

What's really a pain is recipes. I use sparkrecipes to calculate the nutrient content of each serving of a recipe and then I have to enter that into fitday. Does anyone else do this? Is there a better way?

Despite the big plate of swiss chard I had for dinner, according to fitday, I'm still below the RDA in a lot of micronutrients. I should average over a whole week...
    SparkRecipes is linked with the SparkPeople site so, if you do your calorie counting on SparkPeople your recipes can follow you without having to be re-entered.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    RDI is actually mostly OK, except for the fat soluble vitamins and protein.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

piggy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    Instead of calculating nutrient content of each serving of a recipe try it the other way around: record actual ingredients in the serving size you eat. I find it much easier and it helps me track what I actually eat instead of micro or macro nutrients. I use fatsecret.com

Sent from my Nexus 4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast