Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 68

Thread: Vegans eat still alive organisms. page

  1. #1
    iconoclast79's Avatar
    iconoclast79 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    58

    Vegans eat still alive organisms.

    Shop Now
    At least we have the decency to not eat still living flesh!

    Pretty interesting article, actually.

    http://www.doctorslounge.com/index.php/news/hd/38877

  2. #2
    Derpamix's Avatar
    Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,332
    This is stupid, plants have no nervous system, in the typical sense, and are not conscious and cannot perceive pain in the way higher mammals do.
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

  3. #3
    j3nn's Avatar
    j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    3,085
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    This is stupid, plants have no nervous system, in the typical sense, and are not conscious and cannot perceive pain in the way higher mammals do.
    Yeah, bugs and microorganisms that live 24 hours and aren't even aware of their life much less us are different than a pig that has the awareness of a 3-year-old child.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

    It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

  4. #4
    Knifegill's Avatar
    Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,377
    This is speciesism at its worst. Plant, animal, etc.? It's alive. You kill it. The end. Bacteria are alive, too, and almost everything eats them.


    Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

    My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

  5. #5
    magicmerl's Avatar
    magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    2,903
    I think there's a distinction between organisisms with a central nervous system and those without, since that's kinda the definition of feeling 'pain'.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

    Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

  6. #6
    Quies's Avatar
    Quies is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Naples, Florida
    Posts
    113
    That is an interesting article. I'm not sure the timing part would be worth the effort for the extra benefits, but making sure your produce is stored to keep it alive up until you eat it is along the lines of keeping fresh eggs at room temperature.

    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    This is stupid, plants have no nervous system, in the typical sense, and are not conscious and cannot perceive pain in the way higher mammals do.
    So, by this logic, anyone who speaks a language you don't understand is speaking gibberish?

    Plants can have rudimentary nervous systems, react to being eaten, and can warn other plants of danger. I'd say hitting a chemical alarm is comparable to recoiling in pain.

  7. #7
    Knifegill's Avatar
    Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,377
    Pain is good. Death is good, too. Whether or not a thing feels pain is irrelevant. And if it dies, life goes on elsewhere anyway. The only issue I see here is h. sapiens prioritizing what gets to kill what else. It's just - no. Sweet oblivion, all must die to give life to everything. Trying to justify or condemn any of it is beyond banal. As an adult, with an adult brain past the age of 25, your grasp of the universe should be complete enough to grasp that.


    Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

    My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

  8. #8
    Derpamix's Avatar
    Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,332
    Quote Originally Posted by Quies View Post
    So, by this logic, anyone who speaks a language you don't understand is speaking gibberish?

    Plants can have rudimentary nervous systems, react to being eaten, and can warn other plants of danger. I'd say hitting a chemical alarm is comparable to recoiling in pain.
    Not even remotely comparable, on either example. Your first point is a poor metaphor, in every definition of the term.

    To feel pain they must have a brain, a central nervous system, functioning nerve receptors and capacity to respond to stimuli. If any of these elements are not intact, you will not feel pain.

    Eg; a paraplegic has damaged part of the spinal cord, this means that the nerves in their foot will still receive incoming stimuli, they will respond with a nerve signal, but because that signal is unable to reach the brain they feel no pain and give no response. Pain is experienced in the brain, simple as that.

    You proved plants only have a response to stimuli, but, they lack a brain, nervous system and nociceptors. To prove your point you would have to prove that all plants have brains, and CNS receptors on the nerve endings.
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

  9. #9
    Derpamix's Avatar
    Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,332
    Either way, it's not the act of consumption of a plant or an unconscious organism that is the fault of vegans, it's the hypocrisy, and the fact their non-meat items still cause harm to many species regardless.
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

  10. #10
    Quies's Avatar
    Quies is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Naples, Florida
    Posts
    113
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Not even remotely comparable, on either example. Your first point is a poor metaphor, in every definition of the term.

    To feel pain they must have a brain, a central nervous system, functioning nerve receptors and capacity to respond to stimuli. If any of these elements are not intact, you will not feel pain.

    Eg; a paraplegic has damaged part of the spinal cord, this means that the nerves in their foot will still receive incoming stimuli, they will respond with a nerve signal, but because that signal is unable to reach the brain they feel no pain and give no response. Pain is experienced in the brain, simple as that.

    You proved plants only have a response to stimuli, but, they lack a brain, nervous system and nociceptors. To prove your point you would have to prove that all plants have brains, and CNS receptors on the nerve endings.
    Maybe it would help if I said that I believe it is a fundamental error that people believe if something doesn't feel pain as a human does that it feels no pain at all. That's just my opinion though.

    We can agree on the hypocrisy of veganism for the sake of not killing.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •