Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 68

Thread: Vegans eat still alive organisms. page 6

  1. #51
    cori93437's Avatar
    cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    central FL
    Posts
    6,719
    Primal Fuel
    If the scientists would just get with it and get the animals all hooked up like in The Restaurant at the End of the Universe...

    “Would you like to see the menu?" he said, "or would you like meet the Dish of the Day?"

    ...

    “Good evening,” it lowed and sat back heavily on its haunches, “I am the main Dish of the Day. May I interest you in parts of my body?”

    ...

    “What's the problem Earthman?" said Zaphod, now transferring his attention to the animal's enormous rump.

    "I just don't want to eat an animal that's standing here inviting me to," said Arthur, "it's heartless."

    "Better than eating an animal that doesn't want to be eaten," said Zaphod.

    "That's not the point," Arthur protested. Then he thought about it for a moment. "Alright," he said, "maybe it is the point. I don't care, I'm not going to think about it now. I'll just ... er ..."

    The Universe raged about him in its death throes.

    "I think I'll just have a green salad," he muttered.

    "May I urge you to consider my liver?" asked the animal, "it must be very rich and tender by now, I've been force-feeding myself for months."

    "A green salad," said Arthur emphatically.

    "A green salad?" said the animal, rolling his eyes disapprovingly at Arthur.

    "Are you going to tell me," said Arthur, "that I shouldn't have green salad?"

    "Well," said the animal, "I know many vegetables that are very clear on that point. Which is why it was eventually decided to cut through the whole tangled problem and breed an animal that actually wanted to be eaten and was capable of saying so clearly and distinctly. And here I am."

    It managed a very slight bow.

    "Glass of water please," said Arthur.”


    All of this silliness would be sorted out and no one would need to worry about it anymore.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.


  2. #52
    sauerKraut's Avatar
    sauerKraut is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Krautland
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    By keeping them safe in confinement (though not in factory type farms)
    I totally agree, there's a big difference between the two. The issue is not as simple as "it's ok to eat animals" vs. "it's not ok to eat animals", and each person must decide for himself what to make it of this whole issue. I'm not a vegan, but I try to be sensible in my consumption of meat. Not consuming meat of dubious origin, not eating huge amounts if unnecessary (hard if you don't do dairy) and not throwing away or wasting food it's a good start. Again, completely PERSONAL opinion.

    What I'm not satisfied with, is to compare the "killing" of plants, bacteria, insects, with killing animals. That is childish and evading the issue.


    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    As far as the human willing to give up a limb for food to a friend.
    Most people would argue that just the fact that the person is willing to entertain that thought makes them unfit to make the decision. Again, I disagree.
    I think people have the fundamental right to decide what to do with their lives and bodies.
    Completely agree.

  3. #53
    JoanieL's Avatar
    JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    It's not the heat, it's the stupidity.
    Posts
    7,529
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    I disagree...

    In the case of the vast majority of domestic animals freeing them would be a death sentence.
    By keeping them safe in confinement (though not in factory type farms), providing them with protection from predators, and with supplement feed... they have partnered with humans in a barter system. They live for a while and die/are culled in order for their type to continue to survive.
    Without this system the vast array of chicken, goat, sheep, duck, cow, pig, etc domesticated animals would not even exist... nor would they thrive in the numbers they do, or would they have managed to gain access to most of the planet.
    +1. And a chance to push one of my favorite organizations: American Livestock Breeds Conservancy

    "The American Livestock Breeds Conservancy is a nonprofit membership organization working to protect nearly 200 breeds of livestock and poultry from extinction. Included are asses, cattle, goats, horses, sheep, pigs, rabbits, chickens, ducks, geese, and turkeys.

    Founded in 1977, the American Livestock Breeds Conservancy is the pioneer organization in the U.S. working to conserve historic breeds and genetic diversity in livestock. We hope you'll browse through these pages and learn more about the diverse and valuable agricultural heritage that is ours to enjoy and to steward."

    Because when we don't eat them, they become non-viable in a commercial sense, and then they die off.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

    B*tch-lite

    Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

  4. #54
    sauerKraut's Avatar
    sauerKraut is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Krautland
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    +1. And a chance to push one of my favorite organizations: American Livestock Breeds Conservancy

    "The American Livestock Breeds Conservancy is a nonprofit membership organization working to protect nearly 200 breeds of livestock and poultry from extinction. Included are asses, cattle, goats, horses, sheep, pigs, rabbits, chickens, ducks, geese, and turkeys.

    Founded in 1977, the American Livestock Breeds Conservancy is the pioneer organization in the U.S. working to conserve historic breeds and genetic diversity in livestock. We hope you'll browse through these pages and learn more about the diverse and valuable agricultural heritage that is ours to enjoy and to steward."

    Because when we don't eat them, they become non-viable in a commercial sense, and then they die off.
    Sure, but that is an argument only in the case of "sustainable" domestication of animals. We let them have a "normal" happy animal life before killing them for consumption towards the end of their life cycle. But I'm not sure how much of the world population is being fed on this kind of meat.

    That arguments doesn't hold in my opinion in the case of factory farming. Let's suppose we imprison a whole ethnic group of the human population and we put them in closed camps and let them live in horrible conditions. Their life is miserable, but for some reason we also let them reproduce. Let's also assume that "freeing" them it's not an option because at this point they wouldn't be able to survive the environment. So the only options left are keeping them enslaved or putting and end to their misery. We wouldn't say in this case that it's ok to keep them enslaved so they can have offspring, thrive, and save them from extinction, would we?
    Last edited by sauerKraut; 06-23-2013 at 01:53 AM. Reason: misspelling

  5. #55
    cori93437's Avatar
    cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    central FL
    Posts
    6,719
    I don't feel that way... though I do choose to get my meats from better sources.

    If you feel that way choose to eat more beef if eating CAFO. Beef spend the majority of their life on the farm(12-16 months), and only about the last 4-6 months on the feedlot for fattening. Rather than pork or chicken that spends the entirety if their lives in the system.

    I do not equate animals with humans.
    Nor plants with animals.
    Nor bacteria with plants.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.


  6. #56
    ToldUzo's Avatar
    ToldUzo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    196
    If a plant is damaged (a cut or is eaten by animals) it will get a stress reaction and start a proces to heal the wound or regrow. Large trees can transport water and minerals many meters up to the tiniest leaves on the crown... I'm just saying here, that they are living creatures with an internal communication system. But I sure hope they don't feel too much pain everytime someone takes a piece of them - cause it happens a lot!
    What on earth?! Take a walk on the wild side.

  7. #57
    bloodorchid's Avatar
    bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    tn
    Posts
    9,235
    the wonderful scent of cut grass? buckets of grass blood and trauma
    beautiful
    yeah you are

    I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

  8. #58
    cori93437's Avatar
    cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    central FL
    Posts
    6,719
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    the wonderful scent of cut grass? buckets of grass blood and trauma
    The sweet summertime taste of corn on the cob... infanticide by the DOZENS!!!
    Juicy, juicy, sweet, delicious, infanticide.
    NOM!





    *I ate some last night... don't tell the police!*
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.


  9. #59
    bloodorchid's Avatar
    bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    tn
    Posts
    9,235
    you are a sick sick infanticidal monkey
    beautiful
    yeah you are

    I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

  10. #60
    Knifegill's Avatar
    Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,694
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Mmmm, baby monkey stew...


    Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

    My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •