Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegans eat still alive organisms. page 2

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Granted, they don't want to be eaten, and want to preserve their life, hence why they contain tons and tons of phytochemicals to deter consumption of which only insects contain the enzymes needed to process it. I just don't believe they can feel pain, in the typical sense, because they lack the functions to perceive it.

I don't think this part is unique to any particular species though, the biological drive to live anyway.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

SeaHorse is offline Senior Member
    Ask any gardener - plants do feel, remember, communicate. Whatever CNS or brain they have or haven't. Scientists just now have discovered what any breeder knows - chickens are intelligent. Not so long ago it was a universal truth that dogs can't think. And just a little more ago - that black people were ok to be enslaved because they don't feel pain (speaking about diamond mines with awful conditions). And all those views had a "solid scientific basis", just like Derp is arguing now.
    Its nothing else than a mechanism of psychological self defense, a way to believe cruelty is ok, because that other one is inferior, at a level of an object. And schock when we discover that its not so.
    P.S. still eating meat.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Pain is good. Death is good, too. Whether or not a thing feels pain is irrelevant. And if it dies, life goes on elsewhere anyway. The only issue I see here is h. sapiens prioritizing what gets to kill what else. It's just - no. Sweet oblivion, all must die to give life to everything. Trying to justify or condemn any of it is beyond banal. As an adult, with an adult brain past the age of 25, your grasp of the universe should be complete enough to grasp that.
    This. Knifegill wins the thread.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Pain is good. Death is good, too. Whether or not a thing feels pain is irrelevant. And if it dies, life goes on elsewhere anyway. The only issue I see here is h. sapiens prioritizing what gets to kill what else. It's just - no. Sweet oblivion, all must die to give life to everything. Trying to justify or condemn any of it is beyond banal. As an adult, with an adult brain past the age of 25, your grasp of the universe should be complete enough to grasp that.
    x2!

prufock is offline Member

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Reminds me of the time I asked my vegan housemate about bivalves and wished I hadn't.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

waffles is offline Junior Member
    Pigs are smarter than dogs, aren't they?

Shame they're so delicious.

stormcrow is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaHorse View Post
    Ask any gardener - plants do feel, remember, communicate. Whatever CNS or brain they have or haven't. Scientists just now have discovered what any breeder knows - chickens are intelligent. Not so long ago it was a universal truth that dogs can't think. And just a little more ago - that black people were ok to be enslaved because they don't feel pain (speaking about diamond mines with awful conditions). And all those views had a "solid scientific basis", just like Derp is arguing now.
    Its nothing else than a mechanism of psychological self defense, a way to believe cruelty is ok, because that other one is inferior, at a level of an object. And schock when we discover that its not so.
    P.S. still eating meat.
    I've never had a plant communicate with me ... on the other hand it might be more intelligent than most internet posts.

whistlerski is offline Junior Member
    i thought this thread was going to be about some supposed benefits of eating live animals...this isnt nearly as interesting haha.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    I could feel a deep ANGST from the large raw carrot that I ate alive yesterday! It was like a silent scream filled the room, so I skipped the raw Broccoli that seemed to beg for its life…

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast