Thread: Primal Journal (Iwami) - let's do this... page

Iwami is offline Junior Member

Smile Primal Journal (Iwami) - let's do this...

Primal Fuel
    I almost feel like I’m entering an AA circle. “Hello, my name is Iwami, I have been a chronic dieter for 20 years” “Hello Iwami.”

Ok so in truth, I remember first going on a diet when I was about 12, rye bread, grapefruit, skim milk and other cardboardy tasting foods. Fast forward to age 34, I have been on and off diets, always low fat, “healthy” carbs, add in weight watchers for two years where I lost where I lost about 75 pounds (I think I mentally rounded it up to 80, because it sounds good). I am still overweight. So all this dieting you’d think I’d be a size 00. I mean isn’t that how it works?

In about 2008 I read Tim Ferris’s site that suggested no white stuff or anything that could be white stuff. So out went the breads, potatoes, cheese, milks. I think this was my first attempt at primal and I didn’t even know it.

A friend of mine, who was also looking to improve her health, sent me to an article on Marks Daily Apple. For the next 3 years, I tried various different things around the idea of paleo/primal. Even went to weight watchers again. Weight wouldn’t go down, just up. I couldn’t figure out the problem. Then last year around this time, my body gave me a huge hint. I started to get really bad headaches, tummy aches and I would become super lethargic after eating breads or pastas. So I cut them out, or at least tried too, and when I did I felt great.

But as you know the problem is, I love bread…. So I’d fall off the bandwagon and go back to bread, on and off, on and off. In August 2012 I moved to Japan. Whole wheat is rare here and so I happily munched on white bread. In December of the same year I found, by some miracle, whole wheat bread at the store. Only one package. I bought it and happily took it home to my husband along with peanut butter and jam. I bought it for him (ya right) but gladly took a slice the next morning to have with my eggs. I have never felt so much pain from food in my life as I did that night.

I swore off wheat.

I still occasionally ate stuff that had flour but stayed clear of breads and pastas all together which didn’t go unnoticed by my coworkers. For the sake of simplicity I just said I was allergic to wheat, which I guess is true although undiagnosed, nothing like an “allergy” to keep you honest.

In February I changed another dangerous habit. I stopped drinking diet Pepsi. Diet Pepsi was a staple in my diet for almost 15 years. I was never seen without a bottle of it. I mean I was trying to lose weight after all! In hindsight, I wish I had the commonsense and drive to quit sooner. I can just imagine the damage I have done to myself by drinking aspartame.

So here I am June 2013. Feeling good but having hit a snag. My husband supports me, there is little to no wheat in the house and he has given up his favourite food, breakfast cereal. He eats pretty much what I eat except when he is outside of the home. I am super grateful for his support, but it would be nice to have just a smidge more from outside the home…. So here I am.

End of intro…. …. I think.

So I have stalled the last two weeks with weight loss. I think I know my problem. Chocolate…. or rather an abuse of chocolate. It is difficult to find chocolate over 75% here unless I go to the foreign import stores which are a little far. So I have been eating Japan’s idea of dark chocolate which I believe is maybe around 50%.... Because I want to keep my carbs under 100g most of my carbs have been from chocolate and dairy. Bad all around. So I need to smarten up, put down the chocolate and replace my carbs with veggies.

Stats: 34yr/168cm
    SW:215.5
    CW:202.8

I am going for 60% fat, 20% carbs 20% protein. I was at 15% carbs and 80% fats but I felt like it was not right for me.

This morning’s breakfast:

Two slices of bacon (different from bacon back home )
    Two egg whites with some yolk (I know I know… usually it is two whole eggs, but I gave my husband the yolks for his breakfast shake, I’m trying to get him to eat more eggs)
    Goat cheese
    Half an avocado
    Coffee with heavy cream

Somehow a chocolate truffle got thrown into the mix >.< my bad

Lunch:

Salad with avocado, goat cheese, and olive and balsamic vinegar dressing.
    Half a Daikon (Japanese radish)

Dinner:
    Grass fed steak (stupid hard and expensive to find, but oh so good)
    Broccoli with butter.

Total counts for the day

Calories 1,241 Carbs 23 Fat 89 Protein 80

Nice to meet you

Weekend of get-togethers and I did ok. For the potluck I made sure that I brought stuff that I would be ok noming on all night. They were also the first items to run out. Funny how that works.

Lost the pesky kilo that I was clinging to for the past while.

Today's food

Breakfast
    Coffee w/butter, second cup of coffee with heavy cream

Lunch
    Almonds
    Olives
    home made Cheviche
    Salad.

Dinner yet to be decided.

CW - 200.2

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Welcome! Good luck on Primal.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

Thank you

July 1st

I decided to try a weekend of not tracking… I mean, lets face it, a life time of journaling and marking, and tracking everything you eat, although possible, it is not the greatest. I gave myself a break. Seems I took the break as a chance to go wild with food.

Although I did not eat wheat products (I have not become sensitive to them, I get really painful stomach aches and head aches) I did eat chocolate, and too much sugar for my own good.

Gained 2.2 pounds.

I will go back to tracking today.

Tandy is offline Member
    I am finding that the tracking really helps. I still make plenty of exceptions but I am more aware of it I think. I am also tracking my physical activity. I can relate to bringing food to a potluck (I was vegan) and then everyone else eats it and I would be left with nothing. I got a chuckle out of that.
    "I came to live out loud!" -Emile Zola

I actually really like tracking and seeing numbers There is something addictive about it.... o.O

Just to try it out, I am going for 8 cups of water today. I don't usually track my water because I trust that I will automatically drink when I need it.

So got to 6 cups of water, went to the restroom several times accordingly. Also ended up with a bit of a tummy ache. My guess, my body didn't really need that much water in the span of my morning.

Something I am also finding is that I seem to have a deep fear of calories. I tell myself I don't but when I see my calories go over (usually 1400 is the mark where I start to worry and over 1600 I feel some panic mix with quilt) I feel like a failure and want to just throw up my hands in defeat and just eat the whole kitchen.... My guess is that this is some left over conditioning from CICO and LF CW.
    Last edited by Iwami; 07-01-2013 at 07:25 PM. Reason: adding more content instead of a whole new comment.

yesterdays log

Breakfast
    Eggs - Fried (whole egg), 2 large
    Butter - Unsalted, 2 tbsp
    Pork - Fresh, liver, cooked, braised, 3 oz
    Dairyland - Heavy Whipping Cream, 0.1 Cup (for coffee I take to work)
    Cheese - Goat, soft type, 1 oz

Noon
    Spinach - Raw, 1 cup
    Kirkland - Kalamata Olives, 4 olives
    Olive oil and balsamic vinegar

Dinner
    Pork Belly roast with onions, garlic and mushrooms
    Cheese bread (bread made with cheese, egg, almond flour, and yoghurt)

snacks
    Sweet bean Youkan
    Lindt - 90% Cocoa, Supreme Dark Chocolate, 1 square
    Almonds , 30 nuts
    Pecan Pie Filling , 1 Serving

TOTAL: Calories:2,170 Carbs:120g Fat:157g Protein:107g

It was a heavier carb day, the pecan pie was brought to us by some friends. I didn't eat the crust. I also have no idea how to track the youkan, a sweet bean paste/stiff gelatin, I found a few places online that provides some info but each site is different. I realize it is not paleo/primal but it is not something I have all the time.

It looks like my dairy intake is a little high. I love cheese so darn much!

I find that when I fall off the bandwagon and eat more than I should, my weight fluctuates big time, like 2-4 lbs big time. Is that normal?

I keep overeating, but man that food is good, and going back to trying again. So I haven't lost any more weight, just gained it.

I had a pretty calorie dense breakfast and am finding that I am still doing ok 9 hours later. I don't feel super hungry, just the little prangs of "I will be hungry soon"

Foods
    Morning
    Butter - Unsalted, 2 tbsp
    California Haas - Avocado Small Approx 5 oz (Sb),
    Eggs - Fried (whole egg), 1 large
    Pork - Fresh, liver, cooked, 3 oz

Evening
    Squash - Zucchini, includes skin, steamed, 1 cup, shredded
    Grass fed Steak - Grilled, 6 oz
    Butter - Unsalted, 1 tbsp

Snacks (full day counts)
    Schweppes - Bitter Lemon (not paleo at all)

TOTAL: Caloires: 1,182 Carbs: 22g(Though I suspect more, the schweppes drink didn't list any) Fat: 79g
    Protein: 80g

I still have some room for a little more.... I was thinking perhaps a whole milk to tie me over to dinner which isn't for another 3 hours.

I will also have my hour walk today, 30 minutes to work, 30 home.... plus the crazy humid Japan heat :P

Today I had breakfast at about 6:30

We ran out of the usual, which is high protein, fat and low carbs (eggs and meat with butter), so I ended up having sweet beans and coffee... high carbs low fat.

It is now 10:10 and I have been starving for the past 45 minutes or so.

On my usual breakfast I can last from about 5:30 am to about noon and sometimes even 2pm

Lesson learned. Next time I will IF and just wait till lunch :P