Thread: Kaiser's New Food Triangle - - Related to Obesity Disease? page

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member

Kaiser's New Food Triangle - - Related to Obesity Disease?

Shop Now
    Today at my HMO (Kaiser) (one of the big 3), while I waited I watched their TV program. And guess what. They have dumped the FDA's food pyramid. They have replaced it with another pyramid that has veggies on the bottom and no meats, grains half way up. A little fish at the top. In fact, they were running that movie about the men who lost around 200 lbs drinking green vomit. The movie was interspaced with doctors comments and their new pyramid. (Green vomit = vegetables and fruit juiced by The magic bullet.)

What is happening here? Is this related to Obesity becomming a disease? Or is Kaiser taking a bold step away from the Gov'ts recommendations and the Insurance Companies rulings? I really doubt the latter.

Do you consider this a move forward because it emphasizes grains less, or backwards because it's pretty much vegetarian?
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    There is a common misconception that losing weight as quickly as possible is the best way for a morbidly obese person to get down to their target weight, become healthy, and permanently keep the weight off. Dieters believe it, even though it never works. And doctors believe it, too.

The "green vomit" diet is just that - a crazy crash diet that, if someone sticks to it long enough, will cause them to lose enough weight to reach their target goal. Of course, the extended period of starvation may have broken their metabolism, and they may go on a months-long binge that will result in them regaining all the weight they lost and more. Then the doctors will blame the patient for being weak. A diet that no one has ever lost weight permanently from isn't considered unsuccessful. It's the dieters who failed.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Yes, The 'green vomit' diet is supposed to be done under doctors care, and tests taken monthly to determine whether the patient is healthy enough to continue. That was the movie part. After that diet, Kaiser recommends people go to this new food triangle of theirs, which is essentially vegetarian with fish.

Their new food triangle significantly change the amount of grains to eat, reducing them, and increasing vegetables. But they still recommend PUFA's. If everyone followed that the grains industry, particularly wheat, would really be reduced; and I'm not sure we grow enough vegetables for everyone. Although of course, Kaiser says nothing about fresh, whole, or organic.

I googled Kaiser but couldn't find their new triangle there.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 06-20-2013 at 08:29 PM.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase