Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coffee before fasted AM workout page 2

wolfman is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I can "skip the banana" too if ya know what i mean,

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Pros: Coffee is amazing, and blah, blah, blah coffee is amazing.

Cons: Literally none.

I would say you're good to go!
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    I find I workout better fully fasted. Caffeine would be an interference. HOWEVER, I sleep as much as I like, whenever I like; eat whatever I like, as much as I like, whenever I like and generally live life comfortably. So I rarely do AM workouts because I'm relaxed and reading or out "gathering", don't eat until 3pm, by which time my daily workout is done and am generally well.

I'd guess anyone who's being forced out of bed at an unnatural time in the morning may need it, though. Just use your supplements wisely.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    When competing in judo, I found that drinking very strong hot coffee and sipping ice water between fights raised my adrenaline and awareness and made me perform better. Maybe I should try it again in between the heaviest sets in the gym…

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    The only con I can think of is over-taxing your adrenals. If you eat soon after training in the morning, you're probably fine. If you were fasting all day and working out intensely in the evening 6 days a week, it'd likely be a different story. Robb Wolf talks about this a good bit on the podcast when people ask about fasting. Fasting raises cortisol and so does caffeine. A little cortisol is good. Too much cortisol on a chronic basis can be really bad.

Robb has also talked about carb-back loading in regards to his situation which is training around noon. He says that Keifer recommends coffee as part of the post-workout meal because it promotes insulin resistance. So it makes your fat cells (and muscle cells) more insulin resistant temporarily. You're relying on non-insulin-mediated glucose transport to shuttle all those PWO carbs to your muscles (if you eat your PWO meal promptly after training).

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    I do my morning workout (running) in fasted state. I, however have to have my mug of good, strong coffee with one Tb spoon of half and half upon waking up. I've tried working out sans coffee and it is a no go for me.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Yes.

Pros: I like coffee
    Cons: Hmmm..... having to drop a deuce during the workout. Easily averted by letting coffee work its magic prior to actually starting the workout though.

lorichka6 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Yes.

Pros: I like coffee
    Cons: Hmmm..... having to drop a deuce during the workout. Easily averted by letting coffee work its magic prior to actually starting the workout though.
    I was just about to chime in with the same sentiment.

JulieRUNS is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kochin View Post
    I find I workout better fully fasted. Caffeine would be an interference. HOWEVER, I sleep as much as I like, whenever I like; eat whatever I like, as much as I like, whenever I like and generally live life comfortably. So I rarely do AM workouts because I'm relaxed and reading or out "gathering", don't eat until 3pm, by which time my daily workout is done and am generally well.

I'd guess anyone who's being forced out of bed at an unnatural time in the morning may need it, though. Just use your supplements wisely.
    Who are you? .....a five year old boy?

JulieRUNS is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    I do my morning workout (running) in fasted state. I, however have to have my mug of good, strong coffee with one Tb spoon of half and half upon waking up. I've tried working out sans coffee and it is a no go for me.
    Ditto!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12