Thread: ladies lifting weights to burn more calories... page

ladies lifting weights to burn more calories...

I understand the whole "heavy lifting will keep you burning calories longer" & how important lifting is..I have just started adding more body weight exercises & kettlebells to my workout routine (which is pretty much just running or riding my bike in the mornings) But I am wondering how heavy do the "things" I lift need to be, for me to consider it apart of the "lift heavy things" rule & for me to get the advantages of the extra calorie burn..
    The kettlebells I am using are 5-10 pounds & the hand held weights are only 5. I do have a 35 pound barbell that I use for squats, but to be honest I've only used once (like I said, I'm just now getting started)

So basically my question is,are the kettlebells I have a waste of time or are they helping me burn calories even after the workout? I dont exactly have a set in stone lifiting routine..right now its mostly losts of squats, upright rows, front raise, & basic kettlebell swings..

I know I sound like a total moron, but again I'm just now getting into lifting/hiit workouts.
    I am down to my last 10 pounds & am tired of being flabby. I have friends who call me skinny fat, but honestly I'm just fat..I'd post a picture but I'm too embarassed & dont want to gross yall out..
    (I'm a 24 yr old femaile 5'4 135 pounds- last time I checked..its been awhile bc I get so upset over the damn scale...waist is 28 inches) I would really appreciate some help & would love some suggestions & ideas for starting my routine. I cant get to a gym, but do have space at home to get a good set up there.

Thanks

WeldingHank is online now Senior Member
    Light is always great to start with, but you will eventually need to go up in weight to see any more returns after your initial gains.

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Hi Ashley!

Hey, pretty much the rule of thumb with lifting, is if you can do a 3X8 (three sets of 8 repetitions)
    and you're not out of breath or fairly fatigued, the weights are too light for you and you should go up
    to the next increment.

The kettlebells are more of a metabolic workout, but same rule applies - if you're not out of
    breath, or you're swingin' that kettlebell to the ceiling because it's too dang easy, time to move up!

Extra muscle will definitely help you burn more calories, but keep in mind that for MOST WOMEN
    (and i yell that because some will come on here screaming they put on muscle easily) it takes
    a caloric SURPLUS to actually GAIN muscle. And generally it is hard for women to put on muscle
    even then. Takes a LOT of heavy lifting and eating like a pig. I know this as I had a DEXA one
    year apart from the next, and only put on 4lbs of muscle... my rack pulls were up to 235lbs, I
    consider that heavy!

Since you are new to lifting, you are lucky, you can lose fat while gaining muscle, even while in
    a deficit.

Google "newbie gains" and it'll tell all about it.

I have a very basic push-pull FULL BODY lifting routine that I could give you if you're
    interested.

Hits all the parts, and only 6 moves - a 3X8 of that, and you're done.

When you get to move up in weights and 3 sets of 8 reps are getting tedious, you can
    do a 3X5 if you're lifting as heavy as you can to be fatigued by the last set of five.

But that could be a year away, depending on how you do!

Good luck, and PM me if you'd like the routine.

Julia

Owen is offline Senior Member
    As you have a barbell, maybe you could have a look at the clean and jerk - the weightlifting move, which is a full body workout. The only other weight training I do aside from that is a pullup.

Right on..Thank you guys.. I'll be messaging you in a minute.
    As of right now I get pretty winded when I do my sets, but I do think its time I use the 10 pound bell more than the 5. I'm excited & ready to get seriously get started. I dont want to be ripped, if I could just deflate & tone & I'll be happy.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ashley.thepie.rat View Post
    Right on..Thank you guys.. I'll be messaging you in a minute.
    As of right now I get pretty winded when I do my sets, but I do think its time I use the 10 pound bell more than the 5. I'm excited & ready to get seriously get started. I dont want to be ripped, if I could just deflate & tone & I'll be happy.
    There's no such thing as tone. There's muscle and there's fat covering it. You can make the muscle bigger and you can make the fat smaller, but you can't tone anything.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    There's no such thing as tone. There's muscle and there's fat covering it. You can make the muscle bigger and you can make the fat smaller, but you can't tone anything.
    ah..makes sense..thanks

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Thing is, a 5lb kettlebell weighs less than some of the groceries you buy, maybe even less than your purse. A 10lb kettlebell probably weighs less than your backpack full of college textbooks or a laptop. You challenge yourself in your daily life with heavier weights than these. In any case, whatever you do, it needs to be progressive in order to achieve any real change. This means you have to have a new challenge each time. More reps, more weight, or a more challenging variation if it's a body weight exercise.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Allenete is offline Senior Member
    My kettlebell is 30lb and I need to move up now ...

Nothing wrong with starting light, though, but try to challenge your muscles, not your breath.
    What are you doing with the kettlebell?

As for fear of getting ripped... good luck there It's not that easy!

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The first day I started crossfit after having done no weight stuff for years I was using a 12kg kettlebell (about 26lb) so I'm inclined to think even 10lb is pretty useless for anything much ( maybe it'd be okay for single handed snatches). Personally I'd be getting a heavier kb and maybe some weights to add to your barbell. Use it to work on snatches, cleans, presses etc (I'd suggest you look up some lifts). Again though 35lbs on its own is probably a bit light for many of these lifts).