Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fast Metabolism Diet page

nikitakolata is offline Senior Member

Fast Metabolism Diet

Primal Fuel
    Has anyone here tried the Fast Metabolism Diet?

I've been following PB since 2011 and I haven't lost any weight at all, in fact, I've gained. So, I figured I would give this a try and be extremely strict with myself. The thing is, I pretty much feel awful so far. I'm on day 4. The first 2 days are pretty high in carbs and she tells you to eat grains. So, I ate gluten-free grains. The second phase is high protein and you only eat protein and vegetables. So that's all I've had the past day and a half. Both of the first two phases are low fat, which is something I haven't done, well, probably ever. I've also had to give up all dairy, caffeine, sugars, and artificial sweeteners. At least phase 3 allows healthy fats, thank god.

Right now I am having digestive upsets and I'm really tired. I didn't think I was hooked on caffiene but maybe I was because I am just so tired. I have lost 5.8 pounds and an inch off my waist since I started on Monday. That makes me want to keep going, but this tiredness and depressed state I'm feeling makes me want to stop and run into a bottle of wine.

If you've tried this, what was your experience? I'm thinking that if I can stick it out for 28 days and lose some weight (she claims you can lose as much as 20 pounds, but I'll believe that when I see it) then I can go back to PB and maintain since PB has generally been good for maintenance for me. If I lose weight and it all comes back I will be really mad though.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    This sounds somewhat like Ultimate Diet 2.0 I did. It included 1 days of fat-free/protein free carb-up (2x your maintenace with like 7 g of carb per lb of LBM), then 4-5 days of relatively low fat protein/low carb (under 50 g) and low calories (~ 50% of your normal intake) and 1-2 day of normal eating. Plus 4 workouts a week, two of which ~ 1.5 hours in duration and two ~ 1 hr in duration. Plus daily 30-60 min of low intensity cardio for women.

Basically, the way it felt was bloat on a carb-up day (I used potatoes, since rice made me hungry), gaining up to 3-5 lbs after, then dropping every day like crazy up to 2 lbs a week, and that's in low 120's. I felt fab on the normal days, except hungry, then the dark deep hole started during the carb down phase. Hunger, destroyed sleep and depression mounting up. By day 4, carb-down I normally became weepy and nearly suicidal and VERY sore, because recovery is impeded on low carb and low carb days required 90-rep glucogen depleting workouts...

Yes, I have lost weight on this diet, when NOTHING else worked. Yes, I reached the lowest weight I had seen myself at WHILE preserving muscle miraculously!

AND I could not hold the results.

The lowest point I achieved on UD2.0 was ~114 lbs. I rolled right back to 117-118 after, then to 125... Now, about a year later, I am ~ 135 again.

It was a very interesting experience... if you can survive it.
    Last edited by Leida; 06-20-2013 at 12:43 PM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    the times i have given up caffeine, it has been harder than the times i have given up smoking. i was sick poss for a good week or two so bear that in mind. i dont know anything about giving up artificial sweetners or how much you had prior but i have read they are not easy to give up either.

diene is offline Senior Member
    I think gopintos has been doing the fast metabolism diet with success. She'll probably comment when she sees this thread. I'd be interested in your progress as well.

Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    the times i have given up caffeine, it has been harder than the times i have given up smoking. i was sick poss for a good week or two so bear that in mind. i dont know anything about giving up artificial sweetners or how much you had prior but i have read they are not easy to give up either.
    I'm actually surprised at how easy it has been to give up both the sweeteners and caffeine. Actually, she does allow you to use stevia, but on what, I have no idea. In a day where you can only have protein and vegetables I see no need for stevia. So, I haven't used it. I used to drink several diet cokes a day, too, mostly because it's something to do at work (where I'm always bored out of my mind).

FWIW, I'm not at a point where I'm trying to lose my last 10 pounds or anything. I need to lose 40 pounds to reach the maximum of the "healthy" weight for my height. I have a lot of weight to lose. Maybe feeling crappy like this is just what it feels like to lose weight? I felt like this when I lost weight for my wedding in 2009. I was tired constantly then, just like I'm feeling right now. The difference is that back then I didn't have primal to compare to.

I'm down another 1.2 pounds today for a total of 7 pounds since I started Monday. That's enough that I'm going to keep going. I'm very nervous about Phase 3 though; the added fats make me worried that I'll gain even though I don't believe that fat makes you fat... things just taste so much better with fat that it is much easier for me to eat too much.

I guess we'll see what happens when I step on the scale tomorrow.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Just now seeing this!

yes I have been doing it, as primal/PHD as I can.

I feel fantastic! Scale is moving again. And more than the scale moving, the inches are moving. I probably over exercise than what she suggests, just because I have alot to do outside & not because I enjoy it or something, and I started water aerobics with my sis for a couple of days per week for 75 minutes each, and I am kind of enjoying that. It's like a gossip hour with the girlfriends. The instructor is the worst one of the bunch

Anyways, yes the first week I was horribly tired, and that was before doing all the work outside. I was in bed every night by 8. But it did get better.

Bad headache the first couple of days, coming off the caffeine.

I love (and it's also crazy) that it is alot of the same foods I was eating, but now I eat them with strategy and now I am losing weight. I use to get frustrated, I would be like someone just please tell me exactly what to eat and when. And this does that.

Some ppl wouldn't like that I am sure, but I have been counting calories every day (for the most part) since January 2012. I have been trying diligently. After I found primal in Mid March 2012, I lost maybe another 15lbs, and weight loss crawled until finally it stopped. By that time I was high fat, low calories, IF 16, 24, 48 - and I missed the refeed part. I probably would have been okay if that would have sank in.

The first few weeks, I did gain a bit after the weekend fats. But I figure it is all part of the process, the fat is necessary to set you back up for fat loss the following week

So anyways, it is working for now
    Good luck!
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Hi gopintos. I'm happy to see your response. I am very tired this week... I don't know if it is the caffeine or what, but man, I am wiped out. I'm not even exercising beyond walking a lot. I have been purposely going on walks during my lunch break because I feel like it's the only exercise I can handle right now. I really hope I feel more normal next week.

I'm definitely worried about gaining over the weekend. The food I ate today was so much more tasty now that I could use some fats. I made some awesome chicken with an avocado "salsa" for dinner. I put salsa in quotes because it was more like a very chunky guacamole but the recipe said salsa.

Anyway, I'm glad this is working for you. I hope it continues to work for me as I have a lot of weight to lose. I'm definitely going to want a break after 4 weeks, if for nothing else but a glass of wine. I too like the structure of this though. I didn't lose any weight with fasting, either. If I'm losing weight the planning and blandness of some of the food is worth it for me.

I've decided to blog about this so I can look back on it later if I need to. If you're curious the blog is creativecavewoman.wordpress.com, nothing fancy and mostly me just rambling...

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Love the blog! I bookmarked it!!
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    Love the blog! I bookmarked it!!
    Oh, thanks!

I only lost .2 pounds between Friday and Saturday and nothing lost on Sunday. I'm at the exact number I have reached probably 10 times in the past year and I haven't gotten below it yet. My weekend eating wasn't ideal since I was sort of going all over the place and couldn't keep on her schedule. Hopefully things keep moving in the right direction during the work week where my schedule is better. If I just flatline here I will be so mad...

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast