Thread: Estrogen dump? page

Elliottsmama is offline Junior Member

Estrogen dump?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So I am post Whole30, but still 99% Whole30 compliant. The only exceptions are some veggie smoothies with compliant food, sausage that happens to have a wee bit of sugar in it, and regular ketchup. I finished my first Whole30 June 3.

My period came a bit early, but only by a day or two. It was normal. That was June 1. I have not ovulated yet and I always ovulate by day 16-17 of my cycle. I have charted my cycle for 7 years. I ALWAYS ovulate. There have been two times I have not ovulated. Both months were when a doc was trying me on supplemental estrogen. It made me not ovulate.

My basal temperatures are much, much lower than normal. I have Hashimoto's so low temps often mean my thyroid is low. I do have some symptoms of low thyroid, but I'm hanging in there.

In trying to figure it all out, I was researching and came across some information suggesting you can have high estrogen after losing weight rapidly because it's stored in the fat cells and when they are released, you get a dump of estrogen into your system. I am 5'7"ish and started at 150.5 and lost 11 lbs in just over a month. I would classify that as rapid weight loss.

Estrogen binds thyroid hormones too which could mean I have less active and available thyroid hormones to use. That could explain the low body temps and some low thyroid symptoms.

Anyone heard of this or experience it?

bellincendio is offline Member
    I was going to suggest the thyroid when you mentioned low temps but you took care of that later in your post. Your research makes sense but I haven't personally dealt with it. I know a significant change in diet and exercise and stress can mess with your cycle. I hope you find your answer!

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliottsmama View Post

Estrogen binds thyroid hormones too which could mean I have less active and available thyroid hormones to use. That could explain the low body temps and some low thyroid symptoms.
    Yes, this is very likely.

Have you tried adding carbs back in such as fruit or potatoes? Low carb can make it harder to convert T4 to T3. I have hashimotos and that's what I experienced.