Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Study: Low-carb diet linked to increased cortisol & inflammation page 2

Ron_Swanson is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    In some people that have already had adrenal fatigue and went on VLC, their adrenal fatigue gets worse. Or people who live high stressful lives who go on VLC, can develop adrenal fatigue.
    My book Fix Your Gut is available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Fix-Your-Gut-D...s=fix+your+gutThe book price is $9.99.

I put my blood, sweat, and tears in making sure that this ebook is one of the best literary pieces written in regard to digestive health. You want detailed cutting edge information on probiotics and digestive enzymes, BAM, its all searchable in an easy to read kindle format.

Ron_Swanson is offline Senior Member
    You are refeeding right? Because of you aren't then eventually you might crash. You feel great because of all the adrenaline and cortisol now. But this will cause adrenal fatigue and you might crash. Not everyone does but most people do I've seen it a lot.
    My book Fix Your Gut is available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Fix-Your-Gut-D...s=fix+your+gutThe book price is $9.99.

I put my blood, sweat, and tears in making sure that this ebook is one of the best literary pieces written in regard to digestive health. You want detailed cutting edge information on probiotics and digestive enzymes, BAM, its all searchable in an easy to read kindle format.

richard is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_Swanson View Post
    You are refeeding right? Because of you aren't then eventually you might crash. You feel great because of all the adrenaline and cortisol now. But this will cause adrenal fatigue and you might crash. Not everyone does but most people do I've seen it a lot.
    Not really. Maybe a little.

I'm not buying the adrenal fatigue argument yet.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    This is another issue with the study- they were paid $509 to get 10% of their weight off first, so heaven knows what they had done to themselves going into it.

But the end point is that the confidence intervals overlap so it means NOTHING. And what I hate about seeing a study like that is it tends to stick in your mind as if it has some kind if meaning, but it doesn't.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data. W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

inesenite is offline Senior Member
    Adrenal fatigue is an issue for low carbers, if they are in a chronic stress, don't get quality sleep and/or exercise a lot, especially doing Crossfit type intense workouts or chronic cardio. Robb Wolf always stresses that in his podcasts.
    However for a lot of people, especially those who are not crazy active or do mostly weightlifting/slow cardio or who have glucose metabolism issues, VLC is a great way to go.
    Before I started Crossfit, I ate under 50 g a day with one refeed a week, 4x heavy weights a week and was losing fat nicely without any cortisol issues (had it tested several times). However lately with 3 CF workouts and 2 weightlifting sessions a week I feel I have to go up to 100 g of carbs or more in order to keep up and feel good. So it all depends on your situation.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    If your doing what Robb does: jujitsu 3x/week, strength training 2x/week, gymnastics 3x/week, running a gym, paleo business, raising a family, and various podcasts..... ya might need a refeed in there! Seriously, the guy always said even from the beginning when he was very pro low carb that you should let your activity levels guide your carb intake.... he just didn't heed his own advice.

I've read him say that if he was to cut out the jujitsu he could probably subsist on the lower carb spectrum again. But come on! He's doing 6x/week glycolytic activity and he ain't no spring chicken anymore.

As a contrast point. I do 2x/week 15 minute strength work outs. That is all. Well I run my office and have a family, but I have very little (none perhaps???) self imposed stress. I don't freak out bout anything. I'm easily gonna get by on low carb without issue (probably ). Plus I still do refeeds... I just don't call em that cause I'm not uber fit type A meal planning guy.

So moral of the story is cortisol is N=1 and has lots of factors outside of current diet regimen. And even so read my link from first page.... this study has issue, but even so just read the actual numbers and you see low carb is still better than SAD and some other inflammatory markers actually beat out the low fat diet.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 06-20-2013 at 10:17 AM.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Yep, activity level AND intensity determines how much carbs people needs! Some people can get away with 100 grams if intensity levels and/or excersise volume is low, others like myself need 500 grams or more to function optimal…

Black Timber is offline Senior Member
    The VLC thing makes me a little nervous. It seems true that nearly everyone on the planet has the adaptive capability to deal with Very low carbs or even No carbs. But is that the best way to go? If carbohydrates/glucose is so important that our bodies figured out how to make it on its own then I would think that restricting carbs beneath the minimum required quantity would be a mistake in the long run. Seems like a survival mechanism, not a way of life.
    Some of you may die, but that is a risk I'm willing to take.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Timber View Post
    The VLC thing makes me a little nervous. It seems true that nearly everyone on the planet has the adaptive capability to deal with Very low carbs or even No carbs. But is that the best way to go? If carbohydrates/glucose is so important that our bodies figured out how to make it on its own then I would think that restricting carbs beneath the minimum required quantity would be a mistake in the long run. Seems like a survival mechanism, not a way of life.
    Without getting into a discussion of VLC specifically this logic kinda doesn't make sense to me. And I've seen it a hundred times.

Just replace "carbs" with "vitamin c" and see how that plays out. Of course we have to also change "humans" to "cats and dogs".

So it goes something like this now.... If vitamin c is sooo important that dogs and cats bodies figured out how to make it on its own then I would think that restricting vitamin c beneath the minimum required quantity would be a mistake in the long run. Seems like....

See what I mean? Kind of a logic fail considering a diet without vitamin c can be quite natural and healthy for those animals.

So maybe just cause we can produce it doesn't necessarily mean anything in terms of it being optimal to ingest it or not. Basically a dead end in trying to make an argue for or against.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 06-20-2013 at 10:49 AM.

Dragonfly is online now Senior Member
    Sting~ You may like this blog. Intelligent science & they do address the cortisol issue:
    The Ketogenic Diet for Health

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast