Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Children's Fitness page

Lou-Marie is offline Junior Member

Children's Fitness

Greetings from South Africa! Not wanting to sound like 'one of those mothers', I was wondering about children's fitness? In summer we have no problem getting outdoors cycling, running, swimming etc; it's just winters I need help. What can I do to keep their overall fitness up & keep it down to 20min sessions?

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Skipping rope? Mini-trampoline/rebounder? Indoor climbing wall? Dance classes?

Can the kids also do the squads, push ups etc like we do...just less of course?

fuzzynavel is offline Member
    Designate an hour per day where electronics are switched off and then open the back door and kick them out...My kids love their trampoline/bikes/swings/ scooters etc......they are naturally very active kids and don't get fed many sweets at all..

We just have a rain problem in winter. Sweets & electronics are already switched off during the week. My daughter is a good swimmer, but I don't want to start the swimming through out the year, like her friends, as she will get bored too soon. So I need to get her fit for when swimming season starts.

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    Do you want this to be stuff they do at home or another class?

I don't know how big your house is, but obstacle courses are great fun.

You could create a mini-circuit workout - a minute or two of an activity then change, and include plenty of fun things like star jumps or crazy dance moves.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou-Marie View Post
    Can the kids also do the squads, push ups etc like we do...just less of course?
    Yeah thats fine. Sometimes when my 6 year old asks me for something I'll tell him it'll cost him ten push-ups .

Leida is offline Senior Member
    My daughter is 7 yo and we live in a place where winter lasts 6+ months of the year. As the weather gradually becomes worse, I start adding up active classes for her. Normally she starts with athletic 2 classes a week, in September and October, and I increase it to 3 -4 classes a week in the dead of winter. She has done swimming since age 4, last winter I set her up with diving and that was the BEST thing ever, because they do dryland gymnastics type of stuff there and then jump into the water, she loves it! We also tried badminton and basketball. On our own, we play ping-pong, go to Zumba together once in a while, or to the pool and climbing wall. She doesn't like ice-skating, but I do. But she now tries to roller-blade, so fingers crossed she will be more willing to skate.

We also go for walks and frequent a snow hill nearby for sledding. Oh, and a play gym, they set up play-gym every Sunday with a bouncy slide, and bunch of balls, hoops, mats etc.

My daughter also takes a huge interest in the gym, so she often asks to go to the gym with me, and I teach her push-ups, pull-ups, squats on the bosu ball and stretching. Yesterday she refused to leave the rec centre until she tried the Kaiser bike. She told me it is a good practice for her biking (she can't yet make the transition to the two-wheeler).

Now, I guess, I sound like one of those moms....
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

wolfman is offline Senior Member
    Give them a stick and let them outside

vincebae is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My daughter is 6 yr old and she used to go to gymnastics class regularly once a week, but not now due to the hot weather (and no air conditioning in the gym).
    These days she's interested in my bodyweight training at home, so I'm playing with her with those exercises.

bear walk, spider walk, seal walk, crab walk, assisted handstand, cartwheel, box jump, side jump,
    bar hanging, half bridge, kneeling push-up, squat, table pose, tree pose, down dog pose, etc.

There are so many bodyweight exercises and yoga poses you can enjoy with your children at home.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast