Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Children's Fitness page 2

vincebae is offline Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou-Marie View Post
    Can the kids also do the squads, push ups etc like we do...just less of course?
    Full push-up might be a little difficult for the kids, but kids (especially younger kid) tend to do squat (without weight) better than adults.
    Squat is supposed to be very natural movement and younger kids can do it surprisingly well.

Here are the famous pictures about "squat like a baby"

Squat Like a Baby @ Bamboo Core Fitness

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    aside from his running around outside for at least 2 hrs per day, we go swimming once a week (indoor pool), we do yoga and mobility work (foam rolling -- he loves it), and we do a lot of walking/hiking as a family.

i really don't worry about it, to be honest.

Aldergirl is offline Senior Member
    When I was a kid, I loved running up and down the stairs. I'm sure I drove my parents crazy. I would run up them, run/jump down them, run across the floor, do a tumble in front of the TV and then repeat. This was, of course, while my parents were watching TV. I would also just run up and down the stairs as many times as there were stairs. Or, I'd spell out my spelling words, one letter per stair. Your kids could practice spelling or math facts the same way (depending on their age), climbing a stair, doing a push-up,squatting, lunging, skipping, hopping once per letter or fact.

Make sure it's fun, though! Things are almost always more fun when the parent does it with the kids, too. Another fun thing, as someone else said, is races across the floor as different animals (slither like a snake, crab walk, flying like a bird, hopping like a kangaroo, bear crawls, walking like a monkey, etc) or with different movements (skipping, running, "skating," tiptoeing, lunching, walking sideways, walking backward, hopping on one foot, spinning in circles, leaping, jogging).

I asked a similar question a few years ago for ideas on how to keep my preschool students occupied at the end of the day. Let me see if I can find that thread and if there were any ideas that would apply to your situation...

Aldergirl is offline Senior Member
    Winterbike had some good ideas when I asked my question:

Quote Originally Posted by Winterbike View Post
    General tip: trigger their imagination. Kids that age don't care about sit-ups or burpees or stuff like that. They'll have much more fun if you use a general theme and stick to it. You could try moving like an animal, it's a classic.

Examples:
    Jump like a frog
    Run like a lion on all fours
    Run like an ostrich (with your arms glued to your side)
    Forward rolls like a monkey
    Crawl like a snake
    Walk like an elephant (straight legs, one arm mimics the trump)

You can also ask them to make the same cry the animals make.

Whatever activity you do, ALWAYS add something imaginary to it. Doing a circuit? Crossing the jungle! Jumping from point A to point B? Floor is lava! They'll have much more fun that way.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    keep it down to 20min sessions
    Bwah hah hah hah. Healthy kids probably "exercise" for six hours a day. There's nothing wrong with that!

So I need to get her fit for when swimming season starts.
    Isn't that what swimming season is for? I'm afraid you're really overthinking this. People always get a little restful in the winter. It's a chance to recover, sit in homeostatic idle for a bit, etc. As soon as kids get outside, *pow* they will intrinsically become fit, you don't have to do anything.
    Last edited by Knifegill; 06-20-2013 at 11:32 PM.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    My kids (3 and 5) ride bikes in the house, we set up obstacle courses, run around inside, practice gymnastics on a futon mattress placed on the floor, and this year I plan to introduce them to yoga to help them relax more. They are both enrolled in gymnastics and 1 other sport nearly year round as well.

Tom B-D is offline Senior Member
    I try to get outside with mine (9 and 11 y.o.) every day--to the park, woods, pool, beach...and they do the rest. Climb trees, climb anything else, swim,run...play! In the winter, it's dance classes and swimming, but those get expensive. We also set up an indoor swing (big piece of lycra from the fabric store attached to eye-bolts in a wide (6'/2m) door frame that they swing from. My son (11) sees me getting fitter and has decided he's going to get muscular--so he's been working out...the kid can do about 5 clean pull-ups, 1 minute plank, pushups...it's great to see. Once his testosterone kicks in, look out! Point is, they really do look up to us, and if we're active, improving, enjoying it, they will too. Well, maybe until the teenage years...

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Do you have much space indoors?
    Get some old clothes and costumes for dress-up (along with props like swords, shields, wands, instruments, trucks, stuffed toys...etc) and indoor-friendly ball-games. Kids do the rest on their own.

PS: Also, try putting a couple of pullup bars in a door at varying heights, so everyone has to step on, climb over or duck under them when moving in and out of the room and so the kids can climb and/or swing around on them.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Just put him on the mat with this kid everyday:

Tom B-D is offline Senior Member
    Tough to peak at age 8... ;-)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast