Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: exercise advice

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    783

    exercise advice

    I've lost a lot of weight and my only exercise has been walking. most of the weight lost has come from the areas involved in walking- thighs, calves buttocks and belly. from the abdo down things are looking pretty good. Not much weight gone from the ribs up tho- back,shoulders,arms and boobs and i want to change this and do more work on the abdomen flab.

    I have a couple of problems though. I had a stroke several years ago and although I made an excellent recovery it left me with some left sided weakness. I noticed on my legs that I've gained more muscle on the right so made an effort to lead from the left which is helping even them out nicely.
    1) But when I do sit-ups I'm very aware most of the effort is from the right sided muscles and my left side is kind of free-loading. push ups are kind of the same. I'm going to look really weird I think if I persist like this so I need advice
    2) I need basic exercises for the upper body and arms and was thinking of weights but don't know where to start here. I was thinking of getting those weighted arm band things to start with so that all the time those muscles are working a bit more. I was also looking into kettlebells but I'm in unexplored territory so I need advice here too
    please bear in mind I'm the athletic equivalent of a slug
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Gloucestershire UK
    Posts
    765
    Men's health has lots of good exercise regimes. You might want to have a look at their site. Just doing knee raises is quite good for building strength through the core as are planks. Something else you may want to try is yoga, I used to do it but no longer have time. It is great for all over strength and a good destresser. You may have classes nearby.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    10,003
    Quote Originally Posted by MaceyUK View Post
    Men's health has lots of good exercise regimes.
    Dear Face,

    I would like to introduce you to my friend, Palm.

    Sincerely,

    Rich Mahogany

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    128
    First of all, congratulations on the fantastic progress you'v made so far.

    Secondly, you don't burn fat off the areas you are exercising i.e. doing 100s of sit-ups won't burn any more fat from your stomach than say press-ups. In fact, initially you will probably lose more fat from your upper body; this is because women tend to preferentially store fat in the lower body (hips, thighs, bum), so it is these areas where excess fat is lost last.

    However, exercise does obviously develop the muscles being used, which will generally improve appearance, even if fat levels stay constant (which they won't, they'll go down).

    It might be worth speaking to a physio about the left side weakness and how best to exercise, but I would think that exercises that allow you to target one side at a time may help.

    When you go for walks, maybe start wearing a backpack (which you can make progressively heavier), this will help work your core, chest, and shoulders a bit as well as the lower body. Weighted wrist bands or just carrying something (water bottle for example) will work your arms too.

    The most important thing is to just keep exercising. If you are burning enough calories you will continue to lose weight, just make sure you are eating enough protein to repair and develop muscles that will be damaged through the exercise.
    Last edited by maclrc; 06-20-2013 at 04:35 AM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Gloucestershire UK
    Posts
    765
    I don't know what that is supposed to mean? There are many bodyweight exercises that can be done without going to the gym which feature regularly. They are all pretty much the same with lots of squats and lunges and burpees but they are ideal for many people.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    10,003
    Quote Originally Posted by MaceyUK View Post
    I don't know what that is supposed to mean? There are many bodyweight exercises that can be done without going to the gym which feature regularly. They are all pretty much the same with lots of squats and lunges and burpees but they are ideal for many people.
    Mebbe start heres: Everything You Know About Fitness Is a Lie - MensJournal.com

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Gloucestershire UK
    Posts
    765
    What you didn't notice was that dodger is just getting started with all of this and for many people bodyweight exercise is a challenge that can lead on to resistance training with greater weights. Most people aren't able to just rock up at the gym and barge some meathead off the smith press without getting the confidence first. Doing pull ups is only useful if you can do a pullup.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    10,003
    Quote Originally Posted by MaceyUK View Post
    What you didn't notice was that dodger is just getting started with all of this and for many people bodyweight exercise is a challenge that can lead on to resistance training with greater weights. Most people aren't able to just rock up at the gym and barge some meathead off the smith press without getting the confidence first. Doing pull ups is only useful if you can do a pullup.
    What you didn't notice is to never take fitness advice from Men's Health. The correct advice for a novice is to follow a program that's appropriate for a novice and makes the most of the novice's unique ability to recover from and adapt to near-limit workouts in a much shorter period of time than those who are closer to their genetic potential. Did you read the article I posted, since you're such a fan of taking fitness advice from the glossy magazines in the supermarket checkout lanes?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Gloucestershire UK
    Posts
    765
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    What you didn't notice is to never take fitness advice from Men's Health. The correct advice for a novice is to follow a program that's appropriate for a novice and makes the most of the novice's unique ability to recover from and adapt to near-limit workouts in a much shorter period of time than those who are closer to their genetic potential. Did you read the article I posted, since you're such a fan of taking fitness advice from the glossy magazines in the supermarket checkout lanes?
    I read the article and I agree with it completely. We all have different goals at different times. I am running a trail marathon on Saturday so I am doing race specific training. I am going to do a load of strength stuff as my next "project" and I'm interested in climbing so they will most likely match up. The glossy magazines are a source of information amongst many. I like to read the stuff they write with a sceptical approach, the same as I do anything else. I think this thread is supposed to be about beginners getting started on strength work so maybe we should focus on that and not get into a peeing competition eh?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    10,003
    Quote Originally Posted by MaceyUK View Post
    I read the article and I agree with it completely. We all have different goals at different times. I am running a trail marathon on Saturday so I am doing race specific training. I am going to do a load of strength stuff as my next "project" and I'm interested in climbing so they will most likely match up. The glossy magazines are a source of information amongst many. I like to read the stuff they write with a sceptical approach, the same as I do anything else. I think this thread is supposed to be about beginners getting started on strength work so maybe we should focus on that and not get into a peeing competition eh?
    Sure, just don't advocate Men's Health as a source of fitness advice any more and I won't disagree with you any more.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •