Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: exercise advice page 2

MaceyUK is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    What you didn't notice is to never take fitness advice from Men's Health. The correct advice for a novice is to follow a program that's appropriate for a novice and makes the most of the novice's unique ability to recover from and adapt to near-limit workouts in a much shorter period of time than those who are closer to their genetic potential. Did you read the article I posted, since you're such a fan of taking fitness advice from the glossy magazines in the supermarket checkout lanes?
    I read the article and I agree with it completely. We all have different goals at different times. I am running a trail marathon on Saturday so I am doing race specific training. I am going to do a load of strength stuff as my next "project" and I'm interested in climbing so they will most likely match up. The glossy magazines are a source of information amongst many. I like to read the stuff they write with a sceptical approach, the same as I do anything else. I think this thread is supposed to be about beginners getting started on strength work so maybe we should focus on that and not get into a peeing competition eh?

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MaceyUK View Post
    I read the article and I agree with it completely. We all have different goals at different times. I am running a trail marathon on Saturday so I am doing race specific training. I am going to do a load of strength stuff as my next "project" and I'm interested in climbing so they will most likely match up. The glossy magazines are a source of information amongst many. I like to read the stuff they write with a sceptical approach, the same as I do anything else. I think this thread is supposed to be about beginners getting started on strength work so maybe we should focus on that and not get into a peeing competition eh?
    Sure, just don't advocate Men's Health as a source of fitness advice any more and I won't disagree with you any more.

MaceyUK is offline Senior Member
    Deal, how about the back of cereal boxes?

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MaceyUK View Post
    Deal, how about the back of cereal boxes?
    Depends on the cereal.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    thanks folks
    so... I just read the PBF and watched the accompanying videos; my fitness is crap so I need to start at the basic level, get them right and work my way up to the more complex ones.
    I think I'll leave the crunches alone- to be honest they're killing me, what with the uneven muscles and the surgery damage and related adhesions. I just thought they were good as everyone seems to do them.
    my starting strength is very poor and I have little stamina, I've really had to build up even into the walking but that's good now and I do about 7-8 miles a day. my upper body strength is a different matter - non existent really ;doing stuff with my arms exhausts me and I'm not sure why its this bad.
    opinions on wrist weights please- might these help ? husband has some I could try
    maybe I should mention i used to do a lot of swimming and had good upper body strength then but cant swim now
    Last edited by CarbDodger; 06-20-2013 at 08:57 AM.
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Hey Carbdodger!

With your history I'm gonna make a few recommendations.

1. Don't go grabbing a kettlebell. It just makes normal lifts more complicated, so if you are on the low end of the coordination scale it would be a very bad place to start.

2. Don't do crunches on the floor. Actually just don't do crunches. Do planks, or if you must do crunches do the myotatic crunch 4-Hour Body - Six Minute Abs . Kinda like this. Just be sure you are coming from a slight hyperextension to ONLY slight flexion/neutral. Full on flexion in this position is bad on the back.

3. Given your history I'd recommend starting with either the Primal Fitness program (all bodyweight) at the appropriate level OR getting "Body by Science" and following that approach (you can use this with machined, bands, or bodyweight). Both are more appropriate than less stable workouts right now IMO.

My recommendation and not mentioning "Starting Strength" as an option is me erring on the side of caution. I don't know your current capacity for balance and coordination so don't know if barbell work is even an option.
    +1 Neckhammer gives excellent advice. I second this, as a personal trainer who mostly works with women.

Re; wrist weights. Great for wear & tear on your joints. Absolutely useless for gaining strength. Stick to bodyweight or dumbells.

A great book for women is Strong Women Stay Slim by Miriam Nelson, PhD. You can probably find a used copy easily. Great illustrations and a good place to start. Ignore any dietary advice in the book, of course!
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 06-20-2013 at 09:36 AM.

Aili is offline Senior Member
    Hey CD! One thing I have is body strength. I love feeling and being strong. What I do is use the machines at the gym (Body by Science ideas) 1-2 a week (depending on when I am in town), and do the exercise until I just can't anymore (8-12 reps x 2-3). It takes at least 3 and usually more for the 'aches' to subside and then I feel I am ready again. I feel stronger and love it. I highly suggest Body by Science.....

Marinas Florin is offline Senior Member
    Congratulation for your progress but I would instantly join a gym if I were you and start with a basic 3 times/week full body routine.

Calculate your caloric intake and eat slightly over maintenance while training.

Use full body workouts along with compound exercises to dissipate any imbalance you might have
    No Bull fat loss and muscle gaining at http://www.nobsbb.com

I am not a bodybuilding/fat loss/strength training "guru" BUT I achieved a lean state with ease after learning the correct way to train and eat and I want to HELP YOU achieve the same.

Lose Weight/Gain Muscle/Strength - FEEL BETTER

Start here: http://www.nobsbb.com/new-start-here/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12