Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adventures! Travel, mountains - where you been? gone? ideas? Bucket list? page

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member

Adventures! Travel, mountains - where you been? gone? ideas? Bucket list?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Since becoming a parent I've not really been anywhere or done anything - we did a wee bit of rockclimbing when the kids were little, but the logistics of camping tend to get a bit frustrating. (And one of our kids really isn't into the outdoors).

So anyway now they are bigger and I'm thinking about what adventures I'd like to have. Visiting Tibet is a big one. Megabucks, but it's not impossible. Some Aussie bushwalks - maybe the Cradle Mountain walk in Tasmania. If I really work at my fitness, a few of the climbs I never tried when I was younger... urgh... well maybe, if the PB works miracles on my joints.

No desire to go bungee jumping, skydiving or base jumping.

Mustering cattle could be fun... haven't been on a horse in 25 years though!

elorajade is offline Senior Member
    The husband and I just invaded the UK and france this last march. We're adventurers. Well, on a budget, so we haven't adventured far. We've lived in 4 different provinces in Canada, travelled through and across three others), we've explored lots of the US (much more to do), camped in the mountains etc.

This year I bought a tent trailer and we plan on exploring this province all summer, head to PEI and New Brunswick. Next summer we're going to the "Rock" (Newfoundland).

We're not ones to go lounge on a beach for a vacation, we usually need a vacation from our vacation. Our kids are 7 and 3 (almost 4!) so we plan on having big family adventures this summer! Lots of playing, camping, hiking.

As for a bucket list? Before my eldest graduates HS, we plan on taking them both back to europe to explore germany and eastern france (and the countries that fall along the way). We don't have huge dreams.

Fern is offline Senior Member
    Well my family is pretty broke right now, but about 5 years ago when I was delievering pizzas I got a dollar bill with like 40 awesome places in colorado to visit, so my goal is to go to all of these places or festivals. So far I think we have done 5 or so of them. My son is 15 months so its still kinds hard to travel with him because he gets bored in the carseat after a few hours. I also want to go camping this summer, and go visit new mexico and the earthships, when we get enough money we want to buy land on the mountain next to us and build a earthship there. I also want to visit florida before my husbands father dies so I can meet him, but my husband could care less about that.

Oh and I want to add that I just found a lady who lives nearby that is willing to teach me all about horses and hopefully teach me how to ride. I am so freaking excited! I really love them and want my own but have no idea how to care for them properly and I don't want to get one and then realize I haqve no idea how to care for it. Ok now I'm rambling...

Lady Grok is offline Senior Member
    I never did much traveling growing up- Enjoyed a family trip to British Columbia before college, and Hawaii twice- once for a family vacation (Oahu) and then once for my honeymoon (Maui). I finally headed further afield in 2006, and visited Paris.

The last few years though, (thanks to new-found financial stability, my husband's obsession with photography, and family relocation) have led to being bitten by the travel bug. We spend a lot of time with family in Carmel-by-the Sea, on the Monterey Peninsula. My favorite trip thus far was Spain, Gibraltar, and Morocco, with one of my buddies last year. I would go back to Morocco in a heartbeat. Hubby and I did a cruise for our wedding anniversary last summer- (to make up for 6 years of not being able to afford to do much) Greece, Italy, Turkey, and Egypt. The pace was insane! It was a great way to get a sort of "appetizer platter" of the Mediterranean, but cruising just isn't our thing. We enjoyed Italy very much, and are going back this summer, since we didn't see any non-port cities- My family did a home exchange with someone who owns a villa in Tuscany, so we can do a "budget trip." Tuscany (obvs) and Venice are on our to-do list. I am thrilled!

My buddies recently proposed two trips which are more Primal in nature, both girl bonding trips- Opal mining in Nevada (That's actually next weekend!) and then a week or so in Mexico this Fall- Isla Mujeres. Looking forward to seeing Dia de los muertos firsthand, as well as exploring ruins and of course, relaxing and soaking up some Vitamin D.
    With Mark's help, I've conquered depression, acne, rosacea, scale obsession, migraines, and lethargy. Who knows what tomorrow will bring?

http://www.theladygrok.blogspot.com/

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread8215.html

kitana is offline Senior Member
    I live in the Pac NW and we have some absolutely amazing outdoor spaces in very close proximity to urban spaces so it's easy to accomodate both the urban and outdoors-lovers in your family. I live smack in the middle of the city and I can be hitting the trail in 1/2 hr. The Cascades and Olympics are two of the most spectacular mountain ranges you will find in North America, and Puget Sound also offers an incredible wealth of activity and scenery.

One of my 'bucket' items is to hike the Inca trail from Cusco to Machu Pichu. I would also like to walk some of the pilgrimage trails in southern France and Spain.

Have fun wherever you end up!

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    "One of my 'bucket' items is to hike the Inca trail from Cusco to Machu Pichu. I would also like to walk some of the pilgrimage trails in southern France and Spain. "
    I'm going in September! Still a few spots left! http://www.singlesadventures.us/Machu_Picchu_Trek.html

other places I have been

Tierra del fuego/Patagonia
    Chile
    New Zealand
    Honduras
    Europe (boring

<3 adventure!

Ahaetulla is offline Member
    Traveling is my most favorite thing to do... I've done several road trips from Cincinnati,Ohio to the western side of the country... doing lots of camping and hiking. One trip I did by myself with my dog- that was quite an experience. Something I'd like to do again.

I've been to Honduras, Nicaragua, Mexico (Sayulita), Hawaii, St. Croix, and various places around the US. I'm pretty much in love with Central America, but I think #1 on my list of places to see would be Chile. Or really, anywhere in South America for that matter.

Nepal is pretty high on my list too. I used to set aside lots of money to be able to do a trip or two every year, but my last car purchase proved to be a pretty fatal to my wallet so I don't forsee any vacationing anytime soon
    View all problems as challenges. Look upon negativities that arise as opportunities to learn and to grow. Don't run from them, condemn yourself, or bury your burden in saintly silence. You have a problem? Great. More grist for the mill. Rejoice, dive in, and investigate.
    - Bhante Henepola Gunaratana

I once had a nightmare about being kidnapped in central America (there must have been some news about it at the time) so it's never been a country on my to-go list. (the dream was that vivid and disturbing). Brought to mind when I saw 'Proof of Life' recently. Though there is some amazing stuff to see there for sure. I remember seeing a nature documentary about this really isolated, high mountaintop with a unique ecosystem.

I'd quite like to go to Cuba, to see what it's really like.

And Japan. I love Japanese culture. Very expensive though. I'm not sure what I could 'do' there - I don't like to be always just observing things - I like to get in and participate. So often you feel like travel treats the world as a big art gallery, you walk through without touching. I want to get my hands dirty!

hutax is offline Member
    Well, I rodeoed for a living a few years when I was a young man, got on over 1000 saddle broncs and bulls, traveled all over. Paid for a good deal of my college going to rodeos. I've camped and hunted in the wilderness in British Columbia, Quebec, Alaska and several mountain states. Been on 5 African Safaris (hunting safaris not those silly park photo safaris) in three different countries. Did some golden glove boxing in high school and college. Trained in a couple of different martial arts, recieved a black belt in one, still training today. Other than that my life's been pretty normal.
    Last edited by hutax; 05-24-2010 at 07:27 PM.

Oh wow! Rodeo must take some guts! I'm impressed.

America has some incredible country to see. What is road travel like over there? Like, would you want to do a massive road trip or would train or flight be better? Here in Oz you can travel down the east coast and have a good time, but to get across to Perth or up to Darwin you really want to fly, it's miles and miles and miles of nothing inbetween.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast