Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Adventures! Travel, mountains - where you been? gone? ideas? Bucket list? page 2

Fury22 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I spent 5.5 months in Russia. I got to go to some pretty cool places there. I stayed in Astrakhan in the summer, a small city in the South, and in St. Petersburg in the fall. If you can, I highly recommend that people go there. Russia is still pretty misunderstood in the West unfortunately. It's a beautiful place that spans two continents and has very deep history.

In the summer I also went to:

Volgograd -- formerlly Stalingrad, the site of an epic battle in WWII between the Russians and the Germans where the Russians held out and eventually won.

Kalmykia -- home to the largest Buddhist temple in Europe and hosts world chess championships and tournaments.
    Check out my blog!

http://easternstrength.blogspot.com/

I like to throw, squat and pull heavy things for fun.

We're designed to be hunters and we're in a society of shopping. There's nothing to kill anymore, there's nothing to fight, nothing to overcome, nothing to explore. In that societal emasculation this everyman is created. ~David Fincher, director of Fight Club, interview with Gavin Smith, "Inside Out," Film Comment, Sep/Oct 1999

Ahaetulla is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen in Oz View Post
    Oh wow! Rodeo must take some guts! I'm impressed.

America has some incredible country to see. What is road travel like over there? Like, would you want to do a massive road trip or would train or flight be better? Here in Oz you can travel down the east coast and have a good time, but to get across to Perth or up to Darwin you really want to fly, it's miles and miles and miles of nothing inbetween.
    I'm a big fan of massive road trips... but there are a few states in the middle of the country that are absolutely boring to drive through... Kansas and Oklahoma are the two I can think of. Kansas has barely any trees, and lots of rolling plains--which is pretty when you first see it but then after 400+ miles of driving through it, it gets pretty monotonous. Sorry if I offended any Kansas people

IMO the prettiest part of the country is the southwest. There's always something to see... giant rock formations, canyons, mountains, rivers.. it's just so heavenly.

But I shouldn't really say that, because I have not seen any of the northern part of the US... most of my road trips go from east to southwest.

Just talking about it is giving me a craving to go drive out there again.
    View all problems as challenges. Look upon negativities that arise as opportunities to learn and to grow. Don't run from them, condemn yourself, or bury your burden in saintly silence. You have a problem? Great. More grist for the mill. Rejoice, dive in, and investigate.
    - Bhante Henepola Gunaratana

AutumnP is offline Senior Member
    Enjoy all forms of travel -- adventure and less physical pursuits like art galleries, museums, etc. But nothing makes me feel as perfect as scuba diving, especially if I've encountered some of my fave critters.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahaetulla View Post
    I'm a big fan of massive road trips... but there are a few states in the middle of the country that are absolutely boring to drive through... Kansas and Oklahoma are the two I can think of. Kansas has barely any trees, and lots of rolling plains--which is pretty when you first see it but then after 400+ miles of driving through it, it gets pretty monotonous. Sorry if I offended any Kansas people

IMO the prettiest part of the country is the southwest. There's always something to see... giant rock formations, canyons, mountains, rivers.. it's just so heavenly.

But I shouldn't really say that, because I have not seen any of the northern part of the US... most of my road trips go from east to southwest.

Just talking about it is giving me a craving to go drive out there again.
    I've done two big US road trips, one from my home in San Diego to Georgia and back through the deep south, and the other from home to the Canadian border with Montana at Glacier National Park.

If you are going to do a US road trip, I would look into getting a National Park yearly pass, makes it much more reasonable and there are many places such as Bryce, Zion, Arches, Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, etc. that are well worth seeing.

I have only been retired a couple of years but so far I have done those two road trip plus a 2 month stay in Vanuatu, a trip to China, and I just came back from my second trip to Africa. This time I climbed Mt. Kilimangaro.

girlarchitect is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahaetulla View Post
    The plains are amazing and worth exploring and not just driving through. I think the interstate is the worst way to see the middle of the country (and yeah, I guessing that's how you drove through, apologizes if I'm mistaken). Unfortunately that just how most people do see it if they bother to drive through at all - so much easier to fly over, right? (I can say that as I fly over far more often than drive through, so I'm guilty too).

Get off the interstate and onto the country highways -- drive the long lonely county highways, see the farms, small towns, the bend in the river, try the local cafe, stay in the small motel, stop at the local sights.
    My primal journal that I don't update enough:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33293.html

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    +1 for scuba.
    I lived in Taiwan for a year. The mountainous eastern coast has got to be the most beautiful place I've ever been. I also went to see Angkor Wat in Cambodia.

HTownGirl is offline Senior Member
    I haven't really been on an "adventure" trip, but then isn't all travel an adventure? I didn't travel much as a kid, but when I hit my 20s discovered snow skiing, and went every year for a while--most ski areas in Colorado, and have been to Lake Tahoe two or 3 times, and Utah once. I also went to Innsbruck, Austria but only ended up skiing two days as there were so many other things I wanted to do and see. On that trip, I also went to Salzburg, Bavaria and northern Italy. Funny, what they call a beginner slope in Innsbruck is the Olympic downhill run!!

I've also been to about 35 states in US, to the Yucatan a few times (Cancun, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen), London twice, Amsterdam 4 times, Brussels once and in October hubby and I are planning to go to Ireland. We are going to the Kinsale Jazz Festival near Cork. Kinsale is the gourmet capital of Ireland, so I'm stoked about that--I'm sure I will have no problems staying mostly Primal there.

When I travel, I usually walk so much that I come home a couple of pounds lighter no matter how much I eat. We probably walked a hundred miles in a week in Amsterdam last time we went.

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Fundy national park in New Brunswick. I go there a few times a year and it's probably the only time I enjoy myself. If your kids are older (teens) then Foster Brook would be a good one but watch out for mountain lions. The Coppermine is a good one for younger kids and it still gives you a good view on the way back.
    You'll be fording a river in the Foster Brook trail and then immediately climbing a mountain afterwards so either bring a change of shoes or be prepared to barefoot it across the river.
    If trail running is more to your tastes then the white tail is a fun one. Also there's canoe/kayak rentals all over the area (with the best spot being the hopewell rocks an hours drive from the park) and a horseback riding place near there as well.

For food you could pick up lobster/fish from one of the many shops and roast it or pick up a fishing license if you come at the right time. The fancy restaurant has nothing good but the buffalo burger and it's tiny, just in case you want to eat out.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by girlarchitect View Post
    The plains are amazing and worth exploring and not just driving through. I think the interstate is the worst way to see the middle of the country (and yeah, I guessing that's how you drove through, apologizes if I'm mistaken). Unfortunately that just how most people do see it if they bother to drive through at all - so much easier to fly over, right? (I can say that as I fly over far more often than drive through, so I'm guilty too).

Get off the interstate and onto the country highways -- drive the long lonely county highways, see the farms, small towns, the bend in the river, try the local cafe, stay in the small motel, stop at the local sights.
    I find flat landscapes extremely disturbing. Yes I'm somewhat agoraphobic, but would you want to be caught out in the middle of nowhere with no place to hide if a pack of wolves decided you looked tasty?
    Clearly my hatred of open places is an evolutionary advantage. I'm not dog food.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

kiss is offline Senior Member
    Who says all spammers are bad? It took one to bring back a really interesting thread, at least to me, that's over a year old.

In 15 days my husband and I are taking my 73 year old mother sailing in the Caribbean. We took her 4 years ago and didn't think we'd be doing a trip like that with her again, but she's raring to go. We're keeping our fingers crossed for good weather. Unfortunately, the only time we can all get away at the same time is during peak season for hurricanes.
    kiss = keep it simple, sister!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast