Thread: Good Lipid Panel After 1 year on the "High-Bacon Diet", and thyroid changes page

Jennifla is offline Senior Member

Good Lipid Panel After 1 year on the "High-Bacon Diet", and thyroid changes

Primal Fuel
    Cholesterol Nov 2009 249 June 2013 221 (-28)

HDL Nov 2009 62 June 2013 85 (+23)

Triglycerides Nov 2009 118 June 2013 48 (-70)

LDL Nov 2009 163 June 2013 129 (-34)

I have posted occasionally in the forum but never introduced myself. I wanted to wait until I had something to add.

I am 47 years old. I started PB on June 1, 2012, weighing 192 and climbing after having recently stopped smoking. My highest weight was 208 in December 2010. I got it down to 184 by walking 5 miles daily, but joint pain, stiffness, and hunger were problems. I was already avoiding major sources of wheat like pasta and baked goods, but I was not scrupulous about it. I would eat gluten in sauce mixes and have fried chicken. I have been on Synthroid for 25 years for Hashimoto’s thyroiditis. Mom had it, and oldest daughter was diagnosed at age 11. I do well on Synthroid as long as the dose is correct, but it requires frequent monitoring, every 3- 6 months it seems. My cholesterol has been over 230 for several years and my doc has always mentioned statins, but I have resisted it, promising to control it with diet and exercise, and finally, I hit on something that is working. I think she is impressed, and I taught her something about this way of eating.

So a year on PB and my lipid numbers are improved. But the real reason I continue is all the other benefits, which many other people have experienced and described: No joint pain or stiffness; no unpleasant GI disturbances, including postprandial abdominal pain; painful, itchy rashes on my arms and legs have gone away (I had to get off dairy to accomplish that); and reduction of anxiety.

My boyfriend, who remains on SAD, calls it my “high-bacon diet”, because at first I did make bacon 3-4 times per week. It was quick, easy, delicious, and would keep me sated for a long time. I only eat bacon once or twice per month now. My eating habits are constantly evolving as I learn to cook well, mostly from reading MDA. I have chickens roasting in the oven right now. Coconut oil, sardines, and bone broth were foreign to me a year ago. Now they are staples. I still drink diet soda and put artificial sweetener in my coffee, drink wine once or twice a week, and eat some corn chips at a party. I buy supermarket meat because there are five of us eating on a tight budget.

My weight has dropped to 170, my lowest weight in 25 years. I don’t count calories or macros, but I try to walk regularly (treadmill now, because Florida summers are brutal) and am working on pullups, planks, and squatting. My 17-year-old-daughter cleaned up her eating recently (eliminating pizza and burgers, reducing wheat, increasing veggies)and started exercising a little with walking, swimming, biking, planks, squats and pushups. Nothing that causes her to sweat or takes more than a half hour at a time. She dropped 25 pounds in two months (from 156 to 131). Their dad is not on board and he relies on fast food and frozen dinners. The kids have complete autonomy to eat what and when they want (the youngest is 11). If they don’t want to eat what I made or wait for dinner, they can make something else. My 11-year-old is addicted to ramen noodle soup.

Health and fitness is like a house of cards, though. After making great progress last year with unassisted pullups, I started with fatigue in January and had to cut way back on the training. I thought my Synthroid dose was too low. It turned out to be too high. We reduced the dose in February but it took 3 months before the re-test. Also, my protein was low. Doc said eat more protein. Really? I guess that is why my strength gains disappeared. I tracked myself and found I was only getting around 60 g per day. It should be more like 125-150g per day if I am trying to get stronger. When I try hard, I can get to 90-100g. I don’t eat any dairy except cream.

Retesting the thyroid now shows that in spite of the reduction in Synthroid, it is still too high, even higher than last time. I have symptoms, too, which in my case is a heavily pounding heart. Also discovered Vitamin D is low (18, doctor wants it at 50, but 30 is the low-normal). So I have to resolve these before I try to go whole-hog with the strength training again. Also, I have mild rosacea that I expected to go away by now.

I have read here that people have been able to go off thyroid meds because their hypothyroidism was “cured” by Primal nutrition, but I haven’t seen any details or first-hand accounts. I would love to hear from you if you have. It seemed improbable to me but I can’t deny what is happening.

Tom B-D is offline Senior Member
    Excellent, sounds like another success story in the making! I just got my first lipid panel done (48 y.o.) after about 18 months Primal, and will use it as my baseline going forward. Here's what it looked like:
    Total cholesterol: 190
    HDL ("good"): 66
    LDL ("bad"): 109
    Triglyceride: 75

Wish I had one from pre-PB. Good luck going forward...

That's good stuff Tom. I doubt I'll ever get cholesterol under 200, but I won't sweat it. Go Blackhawks!

Paleo0731 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifla View Post
    Go Blackhawks!

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Jennifla. Sounds like a great success story in the making.

About the Vit. D. The RDA is 30 - 100 or 15 - 100. One is newer and one is older, but I can't remember which, a hugh, almost meaningless range. However, Optimal is 70 - 90. Please do no waste money on one of the cheaper vegetarian D's. Take 8000 iu of Vit. D3 from fish sources only / day. They work very well but it will talk about 6 - 9 months to get there.

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2012/...-Levels_01.htm
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 07-01-2013 at 09:19 PM.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Thank you for the info, Cryptocode. I have been looking for info about how long it would take to restore healthy vit D levels. 6 to 9 months is a long time. I have been taking 10,000 IU daily but I fear I am using a cheap source. I will remedy that later today.

The funny thing is, I thought I was getting adequate sun exposure. It was a woman on a Facebook fitness page who commented that her fatigue issues were improved after eight weeks of supplementation following a low result on a blood test. Later that week I was at a community health screening to have my lipid panel done. While there, I was able to request the vitamin D test without a doctor's order. On a whim, I requested it, and I'm glad I did.
    As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    I don't trust any of the RDAs or many of the doctors anymore. That's not uncommon here as we, and the scientists, learn more. A 20-25 year old can absorb 10,000 iu Vit D in 30 min of naked sunbathing. By 50 the body production and absorbtion, of everything, which has been slowing since the 20's, begins serious slowing. Hence more and more very good supplements are needed.

Most of the soil in the U.S., and Florida is one of the worst, is deficient in Magnesium. Do add that to your list. Most people on this site take an Mg supplement.

There's tons of good references and information sources here.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 07-02-2013 at 09:08 PM.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase