Thread: Traveling help please! page

Elliottsmama is offline Junior Member

Traveling help please!

Primal Fuel
    So I am post Whole30, but trying to stick to Whole30 anyway. The only changes I have made to the strict Whole30 plan is allowing the teeny tiny amount of sugar that is found in bacon, ketchup, and sausage, and I occasionally have a veggie smoothie.

We are traveling by plane to a wedding next week. We will be there Wed-Mon and will have a car to go to the stores. The hotel has a full fridge and a stove, but not an oven.

- Can you help me figure out what I should buy and bring? I'm going to try to pack some spices and coconut oil and stuff like that so I don't have to buy those when I get there. What else do you think I should pack?

- We have a long flight and a short layover. What are some good foods for the plane? I can't eat many nuts. What do you think of some paleofied snacks for the plane such as muffins (almond meal, NO sugar/stevia/honey) or something like that? Just for the plane. If you think some paleofied things are okay for just this purpose, can you think of anything else that I should make?

I'm thinking of the following for the plane:

- paleo muffins (almond meal, dates, banana, carrots, eggs, and walnuts)
    - fruit and nuts
    - larabar
    - HB eggs (the other passengers will love me)
    - deli meat from Whole Foods

I'm thinking of bringing:

- cinnamon
    - sea salt
    - pepper
    - coconut oil

I'm thinking of the following meals for the trip:

- eggs, bacon/sausage, peppers, onions, mushrooms
    - ground beef and tomato sauce with mushrooms and zucchini
    - salad and deli meat (from Whole Foods) with avocado, HB egg
    - grass fed hot dogs or burger, sweet potato "fries", salad
    - chicken of some sort, veggies,, and avocado
    - some fruit, some nuts, coconut milk

I'll have leftovers too since I know we'll be eating out a lot. Speaking of which, I have not eaten out at a restaurant since starting Whole30. It was too hard to find restaurants where I could be sure I was 100% compliant. I don't have to be 100% compliant since I already finished my Whole30, but I want to try to be as close as physically possible. Can you tell me what the lesser of the evils are when I order food? Should I worry more about hidden sugars or unknown oils/seasonings? I've found that the hardest thing with eating out was the "bad" oils in things or hidden sugars. Should I not worry about this much and just do the best I can?

Thanks for reading my long post and for helping me out.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    how long is the flight? do you really need to bring that much food? i'd make a frittata-muffin thingie with veggies in it and eat that --far more satisfying that nuts or a plain egg. i don't snack at home, so wouldn't be bringing "munchies" on the plane either. generally when flying, for me it's a hydration issue more so than hunger, since the cabin air is so dry.

as for cooking at the hotel, i guess i'd wait to see what's in the local market, rather than planning anything now. if you're not traveling to a foreign country, am guessing you can make pretty much whatever you would at home.

for eating out, avoid chains and keep it simple. grilled meats or fish, steamed veggies with real butter. salads, ask for o/v on the side. tell your server you can't have gluten or sugar. am assuming you won't order anything deep-fried, so the oils become less of an issue.

have fun!
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

outlaw48 is offline Member
    Once you are a fat burning machine (even after a whole30 you should be okay) you shouldn't need any food on the plane. Have a big, high fat/protein meal before, fill your carry on with bottled water, and you should be fine. If you feel hungry it is psychological because you see other people eating (crappy) food or are conditioned to snack on the plane. I know I was. But, I just did a 9 hour flight (11 with a delay on the ground) with 1.5 litres of water. However, I hate flying to begin with so maybe I just don't notice the hunger through the general misery.

Your meal plan sounds great! Hope you have a good trip!

The day will be long. We will be leaving the house around 5am and won't be in our hotel until about 7pm. There is no way I could go all day without eating. I'm a nursing mom too so I need the calories. All that food was for both the way there and the way out...not in one day. I don't typically snack either, but there aren't a ton of options for bringing on the plane. I don't even think I can use a cold pack in a lunch box. I'm going to pack a ziplock bag with ice and then fill it in the airport after security. There is a Whole Foods and Trader Joe's within a few minutes of the hotel so I should be okay once I'm there. It's the eating out I was more nervous about. Thanks for the tips.

I don't like cold egg. Like I can't even choke it down. Otherwise the egg muffin things would be a good idea. I'll probably make the muffins for my son and bring the other food to have options, but hopefully there will be some food options in the airport. We have a short layover so we likely won't be able to eat at a nicer airport restaurant, which leaves the fast food which I avoid like the plague.

Thanks for the help.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    so you eat hot hard-boiled eggs?

i don't see the point in packing food for the trip home. why carry it? just buy some other stuff at tj's or whole paycheck.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

LOL. Good point. I just mean I don't like egg muffin or frittata like things cold. I don't even like them reheated. Just fresh and that's it. I'm not even a big fan of HB eggs, but they're not too bad.

I will get stuff for the way home while I'm there. I was just listing what I'd pack for the plane.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    canned fish
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com