Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Medical World now labels Obesity as a "disease" page

zebonaut is offline Senior Member

Medical World now labels Obesity as a "disease"

Having told us for years; to eat loads of refined carbohydrates; the medical community now responds; instead of changing their dietary advice; to simply relabeling obesity as a "disease". Their response to the obesity epidemic; is to change the wording. Use a different term. A new label. Just pathetic. Had me laughing.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I think it actually makes sense since these days obesity is often the first visible symptom/sign of metabolic disease or Syndrome X. It's just unfortunate that they are clueless as to offering a reasonable treatment that actually works. It'll just be more of the same-old-same-old with possibly the ability to get insurance to pay for drugs more frequently.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Yup, we love to name symptoms and pretend we've "discovered" something.

eig
    eig is offline Senior Member
    This is just sad. I hope people don't think that they have to treat this with medicine like you would other diseases. That would be tragic.
    "...You sort of start thinking anything's possible if you've got enough nerve. -Ginny

My story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/i-now...#axzz2MzPtxo00

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Being obese is the visible symptom/sign of eating too much for a longer period of time...
    Last edited by Gorbag; 06-19-2013 at 02:52 PM.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    If you can call alcoholism a disease, why not obesity?
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Zach is offline Banned
    It is becoming a disease, not everyone that is fat is just overeating. Many are becoming fat from all the endocrine disrupters, pufas, refined carbs, chemicals, additives, dyes, corn/soy derivatives, etc, etc. all these things work against our bodies natural functions and make it impossible to overcome. Its no longer as simple as "stop eating so much" when all the foods people are eating are toxic. Not to mention, water, air, soil pollution, off gas, plastics, chemicals in toiletries....

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I agree zack..... actually pointed those things out to a person just today IRL.

Problem is we so enjoy naming things so that we can fit people into nifty little boxes. That and you ever notice how people take ownership of a disease once they are told about it? "Well my obesity is just acting up today". I really don't have anything against it being labeled a disease. I take issue with the whole coding system and subsequent cultural outlook on disease in general.

Zach is offline Banned
    Well we live in a sad society of lazy sheeple who would rather live a comfortable disease riddled lifestyle then take responsibility of their own actions and do something about it. Im not sad at all for these people, i am sad though for all the children who are raised by these people and are given a life sentence without a chance or even a say.

eig
    eig is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I agree zack..... actually pointed those things out to a person just today IRL.

Problem is we so enjoy naming things so that we can fit people into nifty little boxes. That and you ever notice how people take ownership of a disease once they are told about it? "Well my obesity is just acting up today". I really don't have anything against it being labeled a disease. I take issue with the whole coding system and subsequent cultural outlook on disease in general.
    This is my point. I am afraid they are going to justify being unhealthy with this label. That "Well my obesity is just acting up today" sounds like it might be followed by "So I cant help it if I still feel hungry after I have a whole sleeve of oreos". It just makes it sound like its out of their hands, and people might not even try to do anything else about it after being told that they have a disease. I agree with Zack too, its true that is becoming more complex than just eating too much for many people, but it can usually be helped without medicine and doctors. Having a disease makes it sound like you need an army of docs and a bag full of pills. Maybe Finnegans Wake is on to something....
    "...You sort of start thinking anything's possible if you've got enough nerve. -Ginny

My story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/i-now...#axzz2MzPtxo00

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast