Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Medical World now labels Obesity as a "disease" page 5

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by quelsen View Post
    my position is that ALL humans who exceed specified parameters of health are sick.

as i understand the human anatomy "obesity" is at best a seasonal condition and one which should not last past the season (winter specifically)..

However. we are not seeing that. what we are seeing is human carrying this weight over months and years and decades... it should not happen and it does not happen in individuals who's pathways operate properly.
    But in many families people just seem to overeat due to costume or bad habits, all the family members are overweight, even their pets are overfed! This is not the same as a mental disorder; it’s just ignorance about healthy food or generally bad eating habits! Of course lots of obese people have an eating addiction similar to alcoholism, but in my view it is not enough to classify obesity as a disease without a diagnosis about WHAT causes the obesity…

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    But in many families people just seem to overeat due to costume or bad habits, all the family members are overweight, even their pets are overfed! This is not the same as a mental disorder; it’s just ignorance about healthy food or generally bad eating habits! Of course lots of obese people have an eating addiction similar to alcoholism, but in my view it is not enough to classify obesity as a disease without a diagnosis about WHAT causes the obesity…
    i feel you, it is complicated and simple at the same time.

i feel you cant look at the masses for answers.

if an entire family is overweight then WHY do they eat what they eat. mostly ignorance and selfishness....

I know a may who refuses to spend for food. as a result i have watched his whole family "grow" over the last decade two reasonably health adults turned into bloated whales all because of the value menu (at least 50 -60 pounds each)... He is a standard American who (according to the BLS data) spends 125$ a month on food for a family of 4... (I still marvel at that since it supposedly includes ALL foods eaten)

Americans spend 8% of their net on food. Europe spends 20% there is where your social component is
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    JoanieL YOU make a conscious decision on what to stuff in your cake hole.... 98.76352% of the world does not
    Quelsen, what I'm saying is that eating (or drinking or ingesting a drug) isn't passive. I believe in addiction. I don't believe it's a disease. MS, Cerebral Palsy, Muscular Dystrophy, Cancer, etc. - all diseases by just my definition because no negative behavior is required by the patient to get these diseases. And sometimes, no positive behavior can cure it.

Yes, we have been fed a line of shit, and I believe that greed has poisoned our food supply so badly that some of us are addicted and some of us binge, just the way someone is addicted to the numbness of alcohol even when using it hurts them physically and/or hurts everyone around them. But because there is a behavioral component, I wish the medical community would make a new category. Addiction is horrible and it's horrendous to try to overcome - I'm not denying its power. And I actually think food addictions may be tougher to overcome than drugs or alcohol. You can quit drugs or alcohol forever. You can't quit eating forever. Ask a sober alcoholic if they'd like to test their sobriety with a social outing like a wine tasting. Well, imo, that wine tasting is what food addicts face every day for the rest of their lives.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Quelsen, what I'm saying is that eating (or drinking or ingesting a drug) isn't passive. I believe in addiction. I don't believe it's a disease. MS, Cerebral Palsy, Muscular Dystrophy, Cancer, etc. - all diseases by just my definition because no negative behavior is required by the patient to get these diseases. And sometimes, no positive behavior can cure it.

Yes, we have been fed a line of shit, and I believe that greed has poisoned our food supply so badly that some of us are addicted and some of us binge, just the way someone is addicted to the numbness of alcohol even when using it hurts them physically and/or hurts everyone around them. But because there is a behavioral component, I wish the medical community would make a new category. Addiction is horrible and it's horrendous to try to overcome - I'm not denying its power. And I actually think food addictions may be tougher to overcome than drugs or alcohol. You can quit drugs or alcohol forever. You can't quit eating forever. Ask a sober alcoholic if they'd like to test their sobriety with a social outing like a wine tasting. Well, imo, that wine tasting is what food addicts face every day for the rest of their lives.
    well put.

would we call it a disease if it didnt make you overweight?

i know many people who eat the grocery store and never gain weight.

Predator not Prey

CW 315 | SW 506

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    spends 125$ a month on food for a family of 4...
    Is that right or do you mean he spends $125 on grocery food PLUS extra on eating out?

The 2012 BLS expenditure survey has the average at $320 a month for food eaten at home and $218 for food away from home.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post

Based on my experience with food allergies, I agree it would be very hard to fight a food addiction, even if you wanted to. Here in the USA, we as a public do not have the right to know what is in our food. Restaurants do not need to list ingredients to protect trade secrets. Also, it was only recently that food allergies were required to be listed (and only 8 of them!), but there are some exceptions. For example, soybean oil is not considered a soy allergen. Thus, it is not required to be labeled in products like other soy ingredients. It is usually the case that something is "fried in oil" and that's about as much as you can find out. Why is it not considered an allergen? The only answer I can find is that corn and soy oil are such a huge part of the food industry, scrutinizing them would effect business, and also labeling them would pose unneeded limitations on dining choices for people with soy allergies (because there is apparently not enough allergens in it to cause a reaction---?!?!?!?!). But what if you're addicted to soy, or some other additive that is in practically everything? It has to be the modern food industry, I have never heard of people getting addicted to food because they eat broccoli and lettuce. People are addicted to fries and burgers.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

eig
    eig is offline Senior Member
    i know many people who eat the grocery store and never gain weight.
    I don't think you can know for sure that they do eat a lot and don't gain weight. For example I used to think my boyfriend could eat the kitchen along with its sink and not put on weight but then one day out of curiosity we started tracking his food consumption and what we found was that he was eating 1800-2300 a day. He is a 6ft tall, active man and that is not nearly enough food! It just seemed like he could eat anything because he usually has a light breakfast and lunch (or no lunch sometimes) then eats 1000's of calories at dinner time, which is when we used to get together before he moved in. I also used to think my 90lb mom could eat whatever she wanted and stay thin, but it was a similar situation. She worked as a nurses aid, on her feet all day, and when I was older she told me she had anxiety problems which led her to not eat but in an attempt to not worry us kids she would force herself eat while we were around. These are just a couple of examples but unless you follow those people around, you never truly know what they eat.

edit; sorry I suppose this is a little off topic but I find this is a common misconception that used to drive me crazy when I was overweight until I figured it out.
    Last edited by eig; 06-20-2013 at 01:48 PM.
    "...You sort of start thinking anything's possible if you've got enough nerve.” -Ginny

My story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/i-now...#axzz2MzPtxo00

Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Is that right or do you mean he spends $125 on grocery food PLUS extra on eating out?

The 2012 BLS expenditure survey has the average at $320 a month for food eaten at home and $218 for food away from home.
    per person... sorry

Predator not Prey

CW 315 | SW 506

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by eig View Post
    eating 1800-2300 a day..
    before primal.... that was a weeks worth of food for me

Predator not Prey

CW 315 | SW 506

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast