Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Medical World now labels Obesity as a "disease" page 2

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    AMA is not a public agency--it represents doctors and drug/equipment manufacturers. Any action they take should probably be viewed in that context.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    even more than pills is the burgeoning industry in gastric bypass/sleeve/etc. kinds of surgeries. insurance will pay now and hospitals make lots of money off it.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    I blame the FDA and USDA. They tell people what to eat. People eat that way, because they say it's "healthy." Ever notice how the "healthy" foods are the most mass-produced in the food industry? Then the FDA works with the medical industry to "treat" symptoms of these problems, with surgeries and pills. It's all economically-driven.

But alas, this is CV at it's finest: Treat the symptom, not the cause. I went to an MD about back problems, and they gave me Vicodin to help the pain. I went to a Chiropractor ("alternative medicine," as CV calls it) and they fixed my back, and thus no longer had pain. Guess the pharmacy lost a customer.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    If you can call alcoholism a disease, why not obesity?
    Alcoholism is addiction to alcohol, some mental disorder(s) underlying it, but not all obese persons are addicted to food or have a mental disorder that makes them overeat…

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    Neckhammer and EIG, re: people owning diseases once diagnosed:

Amen! The most loathsome people, I find, are the ones that almost brag about this or that deformity, or family relation to someone with some malady. The worst, in my experience, are autism and breast cancer people. Typically they talk about it from the gullet under their throat, in a shaky, hostile, channeled, not-their-own voice, with a twisted sort of face of sadistic satisfaction.

Then there's the digestive issue people- I have met so many people with IBS, and I know because for some reason, evidently IBS people love announcing and describing their condition to people. It has me convinced that IBS is made up, and is implanted by a doctor's hypnosis. Such is the conviction and desperate emotional investment with which its sufferers speak of it.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    Neckhammer and EIG, re: people owning diseases once diagnosed:

Amen! The most loathsome people, I find, are the ones that almost brag about this or that deformity, or family relation to someone with some malady. The worst, in my experience, are autism and breast cancer people. Typically they talk about it from the gullet under their throat, in a shaky, hostile, channeled, not-their-own voice, with a twisted sort of face of sadistic satisfaction.

Then there's the digestive issue people- I have met so many people with IBS, and I know because for some reason, evidently IBS people love announcing and describing their condition to people. It has me convinced that IBS is made up, and is implanted by a doctor's hypnosis. Such is the conviction and desperate emotional investment with which its sufferers speak of it.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    If you can call alcoholism a disease, why not obesity?
    Too true. Personally I think it's all a ploy to get the insurance companies to pay for stuff.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Alcoholism is addiction to alcohol, some mental disorder(s) underlying it, but not all obese persons are addicted to food or have a mental disorder that makes them overeat…
    I would guess its 99%. IMO, the reluctance to recognize the addictive qualities of processed foods and the twisted way so many women view food in the Western world, is responsible for millions not being able to face up to why they're fat. Gluttony and sloth are actually easier to accept in our puritanical culture.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    It would be terribly cynical of me to suggest that this is just another ploy pushed through by Big Pharma to sell lots and lots more pills.

Mr. Wake? The dispenser will see you now...
    That was my first thought. Oh boy, now they can patent and prescribe a pill for it.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    That and you ever notice how people take ownership of a disease once they are told about it? "Well my obesity is just acting up today".
    I don't think it's as easy and cynical as that. Years ago I was diagnosed with major depression. Before that diagnosis, I could at least believe that I was simply having a bad day (lots of them, actually) and that I wasn't trying hard enough and that it was just me being a loser. The diagnosis was humiliating. Wow, you mean I'm mentally ill? That was really hard to accept. I worked with mentally ill people, I wasn't one of them. Anyway, I took the pills and went to therapy and started to feel better. I don't take pills anymore and have no depression at all anymore.

So giving someone a diagnosis might make them accept treatment and follow a healthier diet. Even a healthy CW diet will help some people. And maybe some of them will find their way here.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast