Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Conspiracy or idiocy? page 4

spicegirl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I know that there are a lot of great people out there. But, all you have to do is google enron tapes and listen to some of the phone conversations of the "powers that be" at Enron. Logic would have to suggest that there are at least some people in power and in food production that are of the same mindset.

spicegirl

Barnyard is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by awok677 View Post
    Yup, I think they all originally believed in the fat-heart hypothesis and healthy carbs, which was good for cereal/sugar and bad for dairy/meat firms. The drug firms jumped on the back of the same hypothesis and the balance is now weighted in their favour and held there by the medical industry who have drugs that 'work' against the symptoms they're applied to. And the drug firms keep developing 'cures' for the side effects of the first set of drugs, so they're stuck into prescribing what has an immediate effect and waiting on 'better' drugs.

It's going to take a lot to shift the balance back. The medical establishment shifting position would probably do it, but that would mean moving away from prescribing for immediate results and asking patients to change lifestyle in the hope that they can comply enough to get the result they could have from a drug in a shorter time. And, of course, admitting that they were fooled by bad science and then too invested in the dogma to be able to step back.

I can't see the drug firms shifting - it's just a question of business. The manufacturers are in the same position and as long as they can fund the research and influence publication (by funding conferences, committees and research) the governments will follow the science that's shoved under their noses.

I don't think the meat/dairy industry can fight back except very carefully. I think the existence of a growing (hopefully) proportion of the population who are going against CW and yet showing improved health is a long-term strategy for shifting the balance.

I think there's a wild-card out there now in the Internet and the big IT firms/people - the likes of Bill Gates and Richard Branson. These people and firms have resources and presence, but they have no interest ... as yet. Should one of them stumble into an understanding of the perils of CW, well, that might be interesting.
    You've summed it up quite nicely awok........hell, 6 months ago I was still convinced that 'low-fat' was good, whole grain ruled, the more fiber the better, ALL fat bad (so glad I found this site!)....imagine the work it will take to convince the masses that the food pyramid is bs, and the battle will be fought against big food and big pharma too......it may not be winnable, but if it is, it will take a loooooong time. Conspiracy? Probably not. But big business doing whatever it has to to protect it's bottom line? You betcha!

spicegirl is offline Senior Member
    I know that there are a lot of great people out there. But, all you have to do is google enron tapes and listen to some of the phone conversations of the "powers that be" at Enron. Logic would have to suggest that there are at least some people in power in the food production industry that are of a similar mindset.

spicegirl
    Last edited by spicegirl; 06-22-2013 at 12:33 AM.

Primal Jackson is offline Junior Member
    "In life, you will never truly understand something until it actually happens to you."

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    I think you don't understand what stimulates GDP, healthy people do not increase GDP, they don't need to go to the doctors, don't need meds, don't buy diet books, don't need to keep buying larger size clothes, don't buy fast food, the list goes on and on. Overweight and sick people stimulate the economy and that increases GDP.
    I think this is exactly what KimchiNinja meant. At least that's how I understood him.

I was just talking to the farmer who supplies our beef and lamb about his business. He sounds like a pretty savvy capitalist, but one of his top objectives is to bring quality food to his community. He acknowledged that he sometimes made choices that cost him money in pursuit of that objective and he seemed to just accept that as the cost of an ethical business. While that attitude is not uncommon among small businesses, I don't see it catching on with big business. I think capitalism can be beautiful at the bottom. I doubt there's any way to make it beautiful at the top.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I think a lot of people think the food pyramid is bull. But rather than flip it upside-down like we do they just toss it out and have pizza and donuts.

I think this is all a combination of conspiracy and not conspiracy, both planned and unplanned.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Lets face it, as long as so much bad food tastes so good, there is gonna be a market for it......people have to be motivated to WANT to put good stuff in.....and "capitalism at the top" will always be trying to keep that from happening.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    You know, it's not like we have actual capitalism.

In real, live capitalism, corn and soy wouldn't be subsidized and so freaking cheap to use.

In real, live capitalism, laws wouldn't be put in place specifically to keep the smaller producers out.

In real, live capitalism, I would be able to buy things like raw milk if I chose to do so without breaking any laws.

What we have in most of the free world is not real live capitalism, it's a government sponsored economy.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    You know, it's not like we have actual capitalism.

In real, live capitalism, corn and soy wouldn't be subsidized and so freaking cheap to use.

In real, live capitalism, laws wouldn't be put in place specifically to keep the smaller producers out.

In real, live capitalism, I would be able to buy things like raw milk if I chose to do so without breaking any laws.

What we have in most of the free world is not real live capitalism, it's a government sponsored economy.
    Well said, RitaRose, well said!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I think a lot of people think the food pyramid is bull. But rather than flip it upside-down like we do they just toss it out and have pizza and donuts.
    I think a lot of people have come to the conclusion that to eat nutritious meals is so complicated and confusing that only a person with a Phd in nutrition who doesn't need to work for a living has the knowledge, time, and resources to figure it out.

Big agribusiness would love it if everybody who still knows how to cook forgot how.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast