Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Conspiracy or idiocy? page 3

Jennifla is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    How about the generations of gullible masses conditioned to believe that the government has their best interest at heart, and can and will strive to make everyone equal in security, health, and education? We just have to leave it to them.

Owen is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifla View Post
    How about the generations of gullible masses conditioned to believe that the government has their best interest at heart, and can and will strive to make everyone equal in security, health, and education? We just have to leave it to them.
    What I like about this movement is that it makes point that people have to do this for themselves. The government might be getting it completely wrong, although they don't always - our National Health Service's 'five-a-day' campaign is in my view an example of one strand of government doing the right thing, but as a general rule, you have to do these things off your own back - I agree.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owen View Post
    Pseudo-healthy processed foods: margarine / added fiber breakfast cereals / low fat yoghurts, skimmed milk. They all require technology to make them, and promote industry, jobs etc. They all get amazing press in our media. Its been going on for 50 odd years now. Its an entire economy.
    It's sort of been a 10,000 year trend if you think about it.

Neolithic people invented lame farming ideas, men shrank in height to 5'4", everyone got cavities, disease, lifespans decreased.

There were smart people back then too, pointing out hunting was better than corn. But once humans turn something on they can't agree to turn it off. Industry!

Meh, also the US is obsessed with maximizing GPD and doesn't consider externalities like human health.

I know, it's lame.

texas.grok is offline Senior Member
    It is supply and demand. If people didn't buy their crappy food, there would not be a market for the processed stuff. If people didn't bow down at the alter of Big Medical and Big Pharma every time they had the sniffles, there would not be as big a market for drugs as there is.

I think the overall problem is too big to be a conspiracy, there may be elements of a conspiracy in there somewhere but overall, it is idiots buying into the hype of modern CW.
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

AuroraB is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    +1 except I do think that now it's a conspiracy. Like the Big Pharma execs that don't let their grandchildren get vaccinated, I believe Big Agra doesn't eat the shit it produces - it just sells it to the ignorant masses.
    Absolutely! I think their greed fostered conspiracy.

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    It is a monster created by our rampant consumerism. People spend all of their money on "stuff" and only have a little left for food. They seek out cheap sources of calories.

The market demanded cheap calories, the producers, well, produced.

Since eating all of this garbage made us feel like shit, we turned to the medical community to fix us.

So now we spend most of our money on stuff, the majority of the remainder on medical bills/prescription drugs and now we have even LESS to spend on food.

So we demand a cheaper source of calories and the cycle continues.
    The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post

Meh, also the US is obsessed with maximizing GPD and doesn't consider externalities like human health.

I know, it's lame.
    I think you don't understand what stimulates GDP, healthy people do not increase GDP, they don't need to go to the doctors, don't need meds, don't buy diet books, don't need to keep buying larger size clothes, don't buy fast food, the list goes on and on. Overweight and sick people stimulate the economy and that increases GDP.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owen View Post
    So there's quite a few things going on really:

1) The 'magpie factor' - people like things in shiny packaging
    2) Bad science encouraging, amongst other things, fear of fat
    3) Food companies being able to sell very cheap ingredients as a 'solution' to those fears
    4) Individuals and companies standing to make a profit are permitted to disseminate misleading and incorrect nutrition information in advertising as an exercise of "free speech".

I think the processed foods that are marketed as 'healthy' are arguably more dangerous than, for example, chocolate bars, which at least don't even pretend to be healthy in the first place.

This gets so many people confused, I believe.
    People know sugar is bad for them. They just have no idea how much sugar they are getting and what it compares to. Like that "healthy" low-fat yogurt with more sugar than ice cream... By focusing their attention on the fully discredited fat nontroversy, they keep people from asking the wrong questions.

sauerKraut is offline Member
    greed + consumerism + corrupted goverment.

It's not a conspiracy, it's capitalism, and everyone is watching his own interest: the vendor, the buyer and the ruler.

Owen is online now Senior Member
    There's a lot of sense being spoken here. Its so true that the 'economy' is primarily built around the consumption of goods that are unnecessary, usually to the detriment of our dietary needs. We consume burgers and fries, whilst trawling the shopping centres worrying about which shoes go with which shirt, agonizing over whether we have the latest mod cons.

When the 'economy' is reported in the media, its a black and white story - is it doing well? Is it doing badly? As though that is a measure of a life well lived! The economic downturn was actually the beginning my waking up to health issues and looking for answers. There is some evidence that junk food is just as popular in lean times, where people are looking for a cheap mood-boost, but in my case, it was the opposite. I had less money but started buying only the best quality foods.

During the recession UK insect and bird populations began to recover.
    Last edited by Owen; 06-21-2013 at 02:56 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast