Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Conspiracy or idiocy? page 2

Owen is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So there's quite a few things going on really:

1) The 'magpie factor' - people like things in shiny packaging
    2) Bad science encouraging, amongst other things, fear of fat
    3) Food companies being able to sell very cheap ingredients as a 'solution' to those fears

I think the processed foods that are marketed as 'healthy' are arguably more dangerous than, for example, chocolate bars, which at least don't even pretend to be healthy in the first place.

This gets so many people confused, I believe.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MaceyUK View Post
    Didn't start as a conspiracy just like all evil starts small. But now they know they are "in blood Stepp’d in so far that, should I wade no more, Returning were as tedious as go o’er" How can you tell the World that you have been selling them poison for years and telling them it would make them healthy? heaven forbid some rich suit might have to resign!
    I think this is it. You sell your soul to the devil little by little and then you are as screwed as the dumb f€<&$ that make up the masses.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owen View Post
    So there's quite a few things going on really:

1) The 'magpie factor' - people like things in shiny packaging
    2) Bad science encouraging, amongst other things, fear of fat
    3) Food companies being able to sell very cheap ingredients as a 'solution' to those fears

I think the processed foods that are marketed as 'healthy' are arguably more dangerous than, for example, chocolate bars, which at least don't even pretend to be healthy in the first place.

This gets so many people confused, I believe.
    This.

They're honestly giving the people what they want in the cheapest possible way, with crap science to back them up when anyone questions about whether they ought to be eating it.

"Oh, you don't like Froot Loops? Fine, we'll give you Frosted Flakes with whole grain goodness. Still not healthy? Here's some Kashi. It's great with skim milk. Or, even better, with soy milk. Everyone knows soy is good for you!"
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

awok677 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MaceyUK View Post
    Didn't start as a conspiracy just like all evil starts small. But now they know they are "in blood Stepp’d in so far that, should I wade no more, Returning were as tedious as go o’er" How can you tell the World that you have been selling them poison for years and telling them it would make them healthy? heaven forbid some rich suit might have to resign!
    Yup, I think they all originally believed in the fat-heart hypothesis and healthy carbs, which was good for cereal/sugar and bad for dairy/meat firms. The drug firms jumped on the back of the same hypothesis and the balance is now weighted in their favour and held there by the medical industry who have drugs that 'work' against the symptoms they're applied to. And the drug firms keep developing 'cures' for the side effects of the first set of drugs, so they're stuck into prescribing what has an immediate effect and waiting on 'better' drugs.

It's going to take a lot to shift the balance back. The medical establishment shifting position would probably do it, but that would mean moving away from prescribing for immediate results and asking patients to change lifestyle in the hope that they can comply enough to get the result they could have from a drug in a shorter time. And, of course, admitting that they were fooled by bad science and then too invested in the dogma to be able to step back.

I can't see the drug firms shifting - it's just a question of business. The manufacturers are in the same position and as long as they can fund the research and influence publication (by funding conferences, committees and research) the governments will follow the science that's shoved under their noses.

I don't think the meat/dairy industry can fight back except very carefully. I think the existence of a growing (hopefully) proportion of the population who are going against CW and yet showing improved health is a long-term strategy for shifting the balance.

I think there's a wild-card out there now in the Internet and the big IT firms/people - the likes of Bill Gates and Richard Branson. These people and firms have resources and presence, but they have no interest ... as yet. Should one of them stumble into an understanding of the perils of CW, well, that might be interesting.
    Me, My Father and The Alzheimer's - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84213.html

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    This whole thing exhibits a chaotic dynamic: these big firms generate some profits which are unsustainable in the long run but they refuse to let go of them until they break down or find other sources of profits, no matter the consequences if they are under the illusion that these profits can last (which they never do because of intrinsic chaotic instabilities). This is no real conspiracy or idiocy, just the physics of chaos applied to economics.

Owen is offline Senior Member
    We may never be able to make an apple, what we can do is throw some gunk in a bag and put pictures of apples on the bag.

The idea that at some stage a high-profile individual is going to weigh in with the paleo movement is an interesting one. It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of successful people already follow an approximation of the paleo diet anyway, without giving it much thought. If you go to high end restaurants, what you are basically served is very good quality fresh produce - with an emphasis, usually, on meat and vegetables. I once saw an interview with the chef Marco Pierre-White, he was asked whether he considered himself an 'artist', and he said 'No, Mother Nature is the artist, all I do is assemble her wares in an attractive way'.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    I think there's a wild-card out there now in the Internet and the big IT firms/people - the likes of Bill Gates and Richard Branson. These people and firms have resources and presence, but they have no interest ... as yet. Should one of them stumble into an understanding of the perils of CW, well, that might be interesting.
    Bill Gates is a Monsanto shareholder.

M.

peppermint is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post
    Bill Gates is a Monsanto shareholder.

M.
    +1

"The world today has 6.8 billion people... that's headed up to about 9 billion. Now if we do a really great job on new vaccines, health care, reproductive health services, we could lower that by perhaps 10 or 15 percent."
    -Bill Gates

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Never forget that bad food compromises your ability to reason... big time...

things that i used to accept hook line and sinker i now wonder who could even begin the line of reasoning that ends where they are...

it isn't just education. it is the lack of contaminates in my system, in my brain.
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

tonchqq is offline Junior Member
    good,while it is pure, utter greed, and not a conspiracy, I still find the whole thing kinda evil.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast