Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Coffee Flavoring page

maurapprimal is offline Member

Primal Coffee Flavoring

Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new to the Primal scene, just hit the 2 week mark yesterday. Doing pretty good though, and the last couple days my carb cravings dropped way off the radar (much better than last week where my face was planted to my desk they were so bad!) The only thing I'm having a little trouble with now is coffee. I really like my morning coffee (1 cup), and it's more of a pleasant ritual than a energy crutch nowadays. I was doing a bodybuilding plan before I switched to primal, and I had cut my coffee down to just a few Splenda packets for flavoring.

But now I am trying to kick my Splenda habit (might as well go all the way!), and replacing with just a teaspoon of sugar and a little cream. Unfortunately, that doesn't really "do" much to add any flavor to it, and I've been trying to find something extra I could add to it to boost up the flavor.

Does anyone here know of any "primal" approved coffee flavorings, or even what do you use in yours? I'll keep drinking my coffee no matter what, because I love the smell of it in the morning, but I thought I'd give it a shot and see what others might be doing that I'm not thinking of. Any opinions are greatly appreciated!

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Butter, cream, honey, maple syrup, chocolate - your pick!

M.

Stacy15 is offline Senior Member
    Add coconut oil and mix in blender (must use blender). Gives it flavor and froth!

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    1. buy better quality coffee.

2. more cream.

3. heavier cream.

4. splash of vanilla.

5. if you don't like coffee without sweetener, you don't really like coffee. You might find now that you're busting your sugar habit, you don't need 'sweet' in your coffee after all.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in BC View Post
    1. buy better quality coffee.
    ^^ This.

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    I have an espresso machine, and 'frothing' some coconut milk works well for me. It gives it enough flavor, because it's on the sweet side. Same with full fat cream; it will work.

If I don't do the froth, I will mix in a little bit of any of the following: Chocolate, honey, agave nectar, coconut sugar, vanilla (just a drop of vanilla extract will flavor it).

When I'm on the road, I'll just take it black, because most places (i.e., airplanes) will just have sugar and those weird half n' half cups that somehow never go bad sitting in a warm box, and probably contain soy.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

diene is offline Senior Member
    Agave nectar is no good. Highly processed and contains more fructose than high fructose corn syrup. I drink my coffee black or with a bit of coconut milk. However, I do drink tea with stevia. I figure that a small amount of stevia won't kill you, and since you only drink one cup of coffee a day, it's probably okay.

maurapprimal is offline Member
    Thanks for all the ideas everyone, I really appreciate it!

Yes, I will have to go buy some better coffee. I was trying to get through some of my leftover flavored coffees, but they just don't do it anymore (if not laced with lots of milk and sugar :P), so I will get some regular roasts and find one I like. I can't wait to try some of the different techniques this week.

And for those that add chocolate, do you add unsweetened cocoa powder, or do you just drop a chunk of dark chocolate in the hot coffee and stir it around?

diene is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maurapprimal View Post

And for those that add chocolate, do you add unsweetened cocoa powder, or do you just drop a chunk of dark chocolate in the hot coffee and stir it around?
    I have dropped a chunk of dark chocolate into my coffee and stirred it around before. I don't think it mixed well or turned into mocha or anything. I think you may need to blend it in a blender for it to work well.

secret agent girl is offline Senior Member
    Not only better quality coffee, but use a cold soak method to make it. Much less bitter than hot brewed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast