Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New and would like some guidance page 3

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    i make an egg-bake thing all the time -- no crust.

as long as the scale won't flip you out, then weigh every morning, or every week, or whatever suits you.

if having a big breakfast works then do that. especially if you are switching over to whole healthy foods.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

AnnieW is offline Junior Member
    Thanks so much! I am going to give it a go tomorrow and see if I can go the whole day without caving in. Should be interesting.

bellincendio is offline Member
    Annie, As long as you take one step at a time you'll get there. Don't focus on anything too large. Small goals will be your friend and be sure to celebrate them. It could be as simple as a week with no Dr. Pepper. Maybe a week with veggies at every meal. It gets easier the longer you do it. The weight will take care of itself just by you changing how you approach food. I hope to see lots of updates from you on how you're doing. Remember that people are here for encouragement even when you feel like you've done something wrong. Trying is all you need to do now, not be perfect.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Learn as much as you can- primal helps you understand some things, but not others.........

*PUFAs (eggs yolks, nuts, seeds, salmon, vegetable oils etc) are a definite problem and will eventually grind your metabolism to a halt.
    *Wheat gluten and American cow's milk are also problem, due to being super pro-inflammatory and opiate-like.
    *Grains and starches cause weight gain, and aren't a great source of energy, but weight loss off them isn't that earth shattering.
    *American dairy (cow's milk) is really bad for most people but you need dairy to burn fat so go get a calcium supplement; you need at least 1,000 mg a day.
    *Cow's cheese isn't as bad due to not containing as much casein; try goat products just to be safe.
    *Most exercise will make you hungry and keep you from being able to reduce calories and lose weight.
    *At the end of the day, weight loss is all about calories. PERIOD.

Thank you so much bellincendio for your encouraging words. I will be sure to take things slow and keep you guys posted. Tonight I made some mahi mahi nuggets with roasted asparagus. It was really good. I fried the nuggets in coconut oil and used olive oil for the asparagus. With the junk food, sometimes I don't even want it. It's a habit to buy those foods even if I'm not particularly craving them. I am trying to be more mindful of my mindless spending, if that makes sense.

Fiercehunter, thank you for your reply. I'm confused about eggs and salmon being bad. It seems like a lot of people on here enjoy those foods often. I thought they were really good for us. I do understand about the calories which is why I wondered if I needed to count them. Maybe for now I will just focus on eating the right foods in moderation and do the fine-tuning later.

Thank you so much again everyone!

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Here is my advice:

Get off the forum now! Run! Totally serious. There are some wacky ideas that float around in here (i.e. salmon or eggs being bad is a nutty idea). There is "forum primal blueprint" then there is the real thing. Do the book. Read it and follow the program. Don't listen to the noise in here. Do the book for at least 30-60 days before you come back here. It works as printed. Trust me.

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW View Post
    Sorry, forgot to ask at what point I should use a scale to measure my progress. I know the scale is the enemy when losing weight but it's important for me to be right at 200 according to my doctor.
    You don't need a scale at all. If your doctor wants to know then measure yourself at his office.

You want to lose fat, but you also want to have some new functional muscles. Just watching your weight will subconsciously make you not want muscles too. And they are awesome.

If you really want to measure something, I'd go for your waist. That will show you tangible results.

I have no problem with bacon and eggs for breakfast. What would an ideal portion be? I have found nitrate and nitrite free bacon but I think it still has some sugar even though I can't taste it after it's been cooked.
    My wife and I have bacon and eggs for breakfast pretty much every morning, typically with vegetables like mushrooms/courgettes as well. We each have one piece of bacon, and she has one egg while I have 4-5. The key thing is to cook the food in enough fat (ghee/coconut oil).

I am afraid of the carb flu. It makes me feel so bad.
    Eat more potatoes then.

I think that the most important thing is to focus on what you WILL do, rather than what you can't. Don't think about the forbidden Dr Pepper. Whenever you're thirsty have a drink of water. Don't worry about craving biscuits/chips, whenever you're peckish have a boiled egg, or a carrot, or a piece of fruit.

Fiercehunter, thank you for your reply. I'm confused about eggs and salmon being bad. It seems like a lot of people on here enjoy those foods often. I thought they were really good for us. I do understand about the calories which is why I wondered if I needed to count them. Maybe for now I will just focus on eating the right foods in moderation and do the fine-tuning later.
    Hey, you're doing great. I think that 90% or more of primal success is just getting back to eating whole foods and avoiding processed junk.

p.s. Eggs and Salmon are great. Don't listen to FH.

p.p.s You are doing great! Take some pictures now so you can be an amazing success story in 6-12 months time Have you seen this thread?
    Last edited by magicmerl; 06-19-2013 at 05:51 PM.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW View Post
    Wow thanks crypto for your great input. Nice to meet a former Dr. Pepper addict.

I have no problem with bacon and eggs for breakfast. What would an ideal portion be? I have found nitrate and nitrite free bacon but I think it still has some sugar even though I can't taste it after it's been cooked.

Is it ok to use coconut and almond flour as "breading" for things? I found a paleo fish nugget recipe that I was going to try this evening, and it uses unsweetened coconut flakes and coconut flour. I also sometimes use almond flour. It's more for my husband since I cook for both of us. It changes up things and since he hates chicken, the "breading" makes it more appealing.

I am afraid of the carb flu. It makes me feel so bad. It seems like I've tried to start things like Atkins and South Beach in the past, but I could never make it past the flu stage. I did lose 10 lbs in a week though on South Beach.

Thank you again for your thoughtful reply.
    An ideal portion of bacon and eggs is how many keeps you from hunger for 4 hours. I eat 2 bacon & 2 eggs every morning. I'm 5'9" and weigh 130 lbs. Start with that and if you're hungry 2 hours later, have 1 or 2 more eggs. I share your problem with the nitrates and buy the uncured bacon. It's smoked so I suppose it has sulfates or maybe some sugar but it's the best I can do.

On the breading, if you're going to jump in, jump all the way in. For 2-3 months no bread substitutes. See how easy life is without all that cooking and preparing. If your husband doesn't like chicken, don't get it. Chicken and pork are not our favorites meats. Lamb is riduculously easy to roast or saute. I love it. My husband is not paleo or primal; we cook a starch for him, otherwise we eat the same at dinner. He has a sandwich for lunch, I have greens or other veggies and fish.

Now, this is all up to you. You are the one to make the choices. Change slowly or quickly as you think will work best for you. For me, if I changed slowly I'd never really change. I'd just fall back to my normal habits; changing habits take some will-power and persistance for me. I found I love greens sauteed in Coconut Oil and with chopped anchovies; I had never eaten greens before. After you're pretty well adapted to the new habits and way of eating, doing some paleo breading is fine.

If you decide to jump in you may have to suffer through 'carb-flu'. It's really worth it, but you have to decide that. For some people they hardly notice it, for others it lasts a month. For me it lasted about 10 days.

Definitions: Low Carb (LC) = 150 - 100 g; Very Low Carb (VLC) = 50 - 100 g; Ketotonic = less than 50 g; Carnivore = 0 g carbs. Start with Low Carb only. Then the carb-flu will not be so bad or maybe not at all. Give your body plenty of time to adjust, at least 3 months before you go lower if you choose to.

Edit: we have several trolls here. If someones advice seems quite different, ignore it.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 06-19-2013 at 06:09 PM.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Hi neckhammer, thanks for checking in again. I think my book will be here at the beginning of next week. I'm happy I can be a part of this community because all of you have been so helpful.

Magicmerl, thanks for your tips about measuring vs weighing. I will do my best to focus on the positives and not dwell on things I can't have. It's been really great finding new recipes to try. Overall I'm excited and nervous and scared all at the same time. Baby steps I guess!

Thanks again cryptocode for your awesome advice! You are right about the breading and it would most definitely be a time saver for me while preparing dinner. That's also really good advice about eating enough to last four hours. I totally understand what you mean about taking it too slow. That's kind of what's happened to me. Some days I find myself mixing paleo meals with Dr. Peppers and doughnuts. True story. I have to stop because it's counterproductive.

I'm willing to deal with the carb flu if I can be certain of coming out of it feeling better. I remember losing ten pounds in week one of South Beach but I was such a B and I just felt like a different person. And of course I gave up and not only did I fall off the wagon but the damn thing backed over me before leaving me in the dust, LOL!

What causes carb flu anyway? I seem to remember my stomach growling a lot and just feeling generally bitchy.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast