Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: I'm new and I feel terrible... page 4

Sol blackcat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I'm new here Loki, I'm only learning myself, but just wanted to say good luck and all the best.

L0kI is offline Senior Member
    Thanks, you too! This site has been a great resource and even just reading the discussions here in the forum has been quite useful and is helping me stay on track when perhaps I don't really want to.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    I found that I *thought* I was thirsty when actually I needed a lot more salt.

Maybe you need more electrolytes?
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

How do I know which electrolytes I need? I have potassium pills at home but I haven't taken them for this reason - I don't know which direction I'm out of balance?

secret agent girl is offline Senior Member
    I know you haven't asked about chronic pain and/or mental health resources, and I support you in taking on only one thing at a time.

Since they're two sub-topics of this thread, I'd like to mention the work of Michael Ellner and Yapko for others reading this thread, who might be at a place of wanting to explore further.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by L0kI View Post
    How do I know which electrolytes I need? I have potassium pills at home but I haven't taken them for this reason - I don't know which direction I'm out of balance?
    potassium pills are usually pretty low strength around 100mg so are very unlikely to be at all harmful. try 1 3x a day. low potassium does make the muscles weak .
    your sodium or chloride is unlikely to be low when you're eating regular bacon but potassium often drops a bit on a low carb diet
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Thanks CarbDodger! I will try the potassium

StephenHLi is offline Senior Member
    L0ki are you taking any calcium supplements? How much green leafy veggies are you eating daily? Any raw salads each day?

Where is the pain in your back, lower, middle or upper? Do you feel the pain in your spine or in the muscle groups?

Are you feeling pain or flare ups of pain anywhere else besides the back?

No calcium right now, but I do eat a tonne of leafy veggies (spinach and arugula mostly, but also romaine).

Pain in my back is in my lower back, SI, hips area (Glute-med, piriformis, tfl areas). It's not sharp but it's strong and diffuse, generally like a cramping, aching or burning type of pain, but often, particularly with my lower back, it also manifests with a strong feeling of hesitancy, like where you think "if I bend over, I'm going to completely 'throw my back out' or my back will just collapse and won't be able to stand up to the pressure/strain." Like a feeling of certainty that this will happen. It feels like it's muscle related rather than specific to the bones or joints... my muscles sometimes feel like they will seize or flutter.

I often also get pain in my neck, but it's not really flaring up just now... it's been primarily the lower back and hips.

StephenHLi is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by L0kI View Post
    No calcium right now, but I do eat a tonne of leafy veggies (spinach and arugula mostly, but also romaine).

Pain in my back is in my lower back, SI, hips area (Glute-med, piriformis, tfl areas). It's not sharp but it's strong and diffuse, generally like a cramping, aching or burning type of pain, but often, particularly with my lower back, it also manifests with a strong feeling of hesitancy, like where you think "if I bend over, I'm going to completely 'throw my back out' or my back will just collapse and won't be able to stand up to the pressure/strain." Like a feeling of certainty that this will happen. It feels like it's muscle related rather than specific to the bones or joints... my muscles sometimes feel like they will seize or flutter.

I often also get pain in my neck, but it's not really flaring up just now... it's been primarily the lower back and hips.
    Do not consider taking a calcium supplement. In fact it may be helpful to you to reduce leafy greens consumption. Try it first. Reduce your calcium intake load as a test. Calcium is highly responsible for muscle contraction.

If your lowerback muscles are spasming or seizing, you want to try to relax it so the increase in magnesium (muscle relax/release) will help.

Another thing you can try is to take a weekend and spend it inside your home and take the magnesium in the day time, maybe a higher dose (600-800). See if you will feel sleepy or drowsy in the day time. If you are not sleepy during the day time maybe you can take the magnesium during the day instead of right before bed.

Are you taking any Vit K2 supplement or eating natto or any hard cheeses? If not, you may consider it appropriate.

It is quite possible you have an inverse calcium to magnesium ratio. (Fibro patients have low levels of calcium, magnesium and Vit D).

Too much water consumption, too much sweating, too much urination may lead to a loss of a lot minerals. So I am also in agreement with others to recommend maybe decreasing the water intake by half.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast