Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breastfeeding/nutrition weight gain help! page

Carm720 is offline Junior Member

Breastfeeding/nutrition weight gain help!

Primal Fuel
    First of all sorry this will be long
    I am currently 3 months postpartum. I am exclusively breastfeeding my daughter. Well I am thinking the breastfeeding saying of losing weight is simply a myth. I weighed 180 when I got pregnant, was only about 22% so considered healthy. Well the day I wen in for my scheduled csection I weighed 228!! After 2 weeks I lost the inital pregnancy weight and ended up at 212.
    At 9weeks I started cuttin calories and began paleo eating and working out crossfit/running etc. well I am now 222!!!! Wtf!? So my three weeks of eating super healthy (1700cal a day) cross fit 3 times per week and running/walking with my double stroller on other days.

I am hypothyroid(had thyroid cancer when I was 19 I am now 28)so I do take synthyroid everyday. I have had every possible test under the sun. Everything has come back normal of course.

I do find that the days I do crossfit I am super moody and feel really crappy.

I also took my inches measurements and have lost inches though.
    Does anyone have any insight on what they think is going on? I am feeling so discouraged about nursing and also working out .

Waterlily is offline Senior Member
    Hi Carm,

Breastfeeding was a priority for me. I loved it and I miss it. It's such a great feeling to be able to feed your baby. The weight came of, eventually, about a year after giving birth. I was too tired to lose weight before that.

I don't know you, but if you were my sister/friend, I would advise to focus on your baby and her health. Enjoy the miracle of life and the early months because they go by so fast. You DD doesn't care if mommy is slim. You just gave birth three months ago, don't be so hard on yourself, give yourself a break. You will lose the weight, don't worry.

Carm720 is offline Junior Member
    Hi Waterlilly
    Breastfeeding is super important to me as well. I'm just worried about my health as I keep getting bigger and bigger. I can not take care of her and my toddler girl if I feel so crappy. So I guess it is the weight that bothers me but also my own psyical and mental health. I never been this big in my life..I worry about things like heart diabetes as other health problems that come with too much weight.

gingernut is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carm720 View Post
    I also took my inches measurements and have lost inches though.
    If you have lost inches you are not getting bigger!! Ditch the scales and go on how you feel and how your clothes fit. In my non-expert opinion I would say that you are not eating anywhere near enough for your level of activity and breastfeeding and that is probably why you feel moody on your crossfit days. I weigh about 40lbs less than you, breastfeeding, but an older child and probably not as active and I need more calories than you are eating currently, even for weight loss!

If you really want to count calories work out your BMR and TDEE and go from there for a weight loss of no more than 0.5lb per week while you have such a young baby.
    Finally uncovering the real me!

My 'Serious Six' journal.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Breastfeeding on its own does not make you gain weight. I don't know if the combination with your thyroid would give you problems. What does your health care provider say about it?

Are you eating ENOUGH? Unless you are maybe 4'4", your calories seem WAY low to me. With the extra calories needed for nursing (average 500 per day) and your workouts, plus the healing needed for your body after surgery, I think you are UNDEReating, and your metabolism is conserving.

How about trying to up your calories, with mostly protein and fat for a week, and see if that shakes things up? I did a quick calculation, making you 5'6", and with the nursing requirement, your calories came out to 3350 to maintain. Even knocking 1,000 off of it, to lose 2 pounds per week, leaves you at 2350 calories per day.

*I did mean upping her EXTRA calories with protein and fat, not that she should be low-carb, just to clarify.
    Last edited by Sabine; 06-19-2013 at 08:56 AM. Reason: clarity

nikitakolata is online now Senior Member
    I agree with Sabine. Crossfit 3 times a week, plus pushing a double stroller and breast feeding on 1700 calories a day? It is no wonder you feel awful. I would either cut way back on the exercise or start eating a lot more. Your body is trying to tell you that you're taking on too much with too little nutrition. That's my take on it, anyway.

offroadannie is offline Junior Member
    In my experience, the inability to lose 'baby weight' is down to tiredness. So take your magnesium supplements, try and get daytime naps if possible (especially when baby is napping) and go easy on yourself. Getting enough sleep is so so important when you have a new baby.

If you could get a family member/friend to make you up some primal meals for the freezer, that would take some pressure off you. Because when you are tired and have a hungry baby looking for their feed, that's when you reach for the 'quick fix' - it is just so much easier. One thing I do now is make enough meals to feed the family and freeze the same again for one of those 'I'm just so exhausted' days.

LBee is offline Junior Member
    I think you should definitely up your calories. For what it's worth, I too gained weight around the 3-5 month mark with both kids (exclusively breastfed both) but around 9 months with both I started losing, very, very easily. My friends have had similar experiences so I would say to give it some time.
    I can only imagine how crappy you are feeling, 1700 calories is just not enough food, especially if you're physically active and breastfeeding. Your body will do everything possible to take care of making enough milk for your baby, which means that if it means taking nutrients from you (read, feeling like crap) then that's what will happen.
    Slow down, eat more and give it some time.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    It is true for some people, and a myth for others. It was a myth for me!

In my body, it was 14 months postpartum before I was back to my normal shapes/sizes/weight. For those 14 months, I was my sons sole and then later primary nourishment, and my body held onto fat to maintain what he needed. Then at 14 months, nursing was less for nutrition (or, maybe "back up" nutrition) as he took most of his nutrition from food.

In terms of nutrition, the rule of thumb is about 25% more calories than your normal (prepregnancy) diet. So if your normal diet is 1800 calories, than you need an extra 450 calories, for a total of 2250 calories.

Otherwise, your body is holding onto fat to feed the baby.
    Last edited by zoebird; 06-19-2013 at 07:32 PM.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Carm720 View Post
    Hi Waterlilly
    Breastfeeding is super important to me as well. I'm just worried about my health as I keep getting bigger and bigger. I can not take care of her and my toddler girl if I feel so crappy. So I guess it is the weight that bothers me but also my own psyical and mental health. I never been this big in my life..I worry about things like heart diabetes as other health problems that come with too much weight.
    If you've lost inches, you are not getting bigger and bigger.

Ditch the scale, and eat for optimal health for you AND your babies That means optimal mental health also.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast