Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: My Primal Existence page

Britt is online now Senior Member

My Primal Existence

Shop Now
    I've been primal since the beginning of 2012 and went from 210 to the low 180s at 5'6". I'm trying to get a little more strict to get through a perceived plateau and have never had a journal here (long-time lurker) , so it seems like a great way to hold myself accountable. I start nursing school in the next six months (was a CNA for three years) so I'm hoping to increase my fitness level by then.

June 18, 2013

B: 3 slices bacon, 2 eggs, coffee w/heavy cream
    S: 2 tspb pepitas, a few olives
    D: 3 oz short ribs, caramelized onion, spinach, canned pumpkin with butter
    S: navel orange

WOD:

Stretches and resistance band exercises for shoulder PT
    Last edited by Britt; 06-19-2013 at 07:43 AM.
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love and something to hope for." - Allan K. Chalmers (1759-1834)

June 19, 2013

B: pumpkin porridge, coffee w/heavy cream
    D: 3 oz. short ribs, 2 cups spinach, .5 cups mashed sweet potato, olives, 1/2 avocado, cherry tomatoes, onions, carrots w/tallow
    S: half an apple with almond butter

WOD: Had PT today. Did some light cleaning.

Was told I should try to lose 20 pounds by October. I've been in the low 180s since last spring and a little depressed about it. Too much sugar and too much stress (vicious cycle). Was asked to get a scale and weigh myself twice a week. Won't be happening. Going to stick to my food journal for the next thirty days or so. Took measurements and some photos for motivation, but I won't be looking at them until my thirty days is up.

I've never been a big fan of calorie counting and the like, but I've been under so much stress that I need a long, hard look at my habits to get back in gear. I know it's hypocritical, but I need a reset.

I picked up a copy of Primal Body, Primal Mind today too. Some folks think Nora sounds a little alarmist at times, but I'm interested in reading a more medical-geared text as opposed to a lifestyle text. Either way, looking forward to a nice read. The cover art is rather neat, too.
    Last edited by Britt; 06-19-2013 at 09:02 PM.
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love and something to hope for." - Allan K. Chalmers (1759-1834)

June 20, 2013

B: pumpkin porridge, 3 eggs in butter, coffee w/HWC, cherry tomatoes
    D: pot roast w/gravy, braised carrots, beets & leeks in cream/beef stock
    S: whole apple with 2 tbsp almond butter

WOD: Worked on Four Essential Movements. Taking it easy by starting with 25 wall pushups, 10 Australian pull-ups, 20 wall squats, and managed to get 45 second hand/knees plank before my shoulder started complaining.

Feeling a lot more clearheaded with the reduction in carbs. Every time I've dialed back my intake of them (sugar and starches), I've noticed I feel much better. Having an ultimatum to lose 20 pounds by October bothers me a little (conventional wisdom and all that), but I'm competitive and lost nearly 20 pounds last January to March at a work weight loss competition, so I know I have it in me. And I love competing against myself. I'm just going to try to make the best of having a deadline set for me and that's all I can do.
    Last edited by Britt; 06-20-2013 at 05:51 PM.

June 21, 2013

B: Bulletproof coffee, 10 oz at home and 12 while at work. I felt AMAZING for a few hours until a wave of nausea hit me and I got very tired. Some intermittent stomach growling, but I'm no stranger to intermittent fasting either, so I didn't think too much of that. I may just stick to the 10 oz cup though.
    L: 1/2 ground beef in the form of burgers. Served over lettuce, tomatoes, 1/2 an avocado and with pickles and half a small sweet potato w/butter.
    S: navel orange
    D: I could have gone without eating but it's Shabbat so I had a chicken leg, Brussels sprouts, carrots, and onions. Also with butter.

WOD: Rested today and worked. Thinking about a better setup for Australian pull-ups. Just going to work on lateral pull-downs with resistance bands for now to get my scapular retraction down pat.

Overall, feeling great! Looking forward to Sunday to get another workout in. Shabbat Shalom.

June 22, 2013

B: 2 slices bacon, 3 eggs in butter with cinnamon, and coffee w/HWC
    D: 3 oz. short ribs, 2 oz. chicken breast, smaller amounts of beets, canned pumpkin, leeks, carrots, onion, and brussels sprouts with butter and beef broth.

WOD: Rested and worked today. Tweaked my old back injury and it made it difficult to breath today. Took an epsom salt bath with olive oil which helped the overall muscle ache. I can still feel my spine being quite unhappy though.

Fasting about 12 hours today. Felt much better in terms of energy while fasting as compared to the Bulletproof coffee yesterday. I may try butter tea instead of coffee if I opt for said drink after my normal cup of coffee just to avoid the caffeine overload. Fasting was a pleasant experience though. I forgot how much I missed it. Not necessarily a 16-hour deal today, but it was nice not being ravenously hungry all damned day.

Trying to be firm about doing measurements once every 30 days. I don't think scales are healthy (for me), so it's important to not make progress tracking an every day thing or it will begin to damage my self-esteem. My next check in date is July 16.

Not sure I'll be able to get a workout done Sunday. I may just toy with my resistance bands and see how my upper spine reacts to some slow movement. Otherwise, more rest.

HelenLouise is offline Senior Member
    Good luck Britt!!! Nothing like a little dare to keep one motivated!

Thanks! I know I'll lose the weight and the stress of the scale won't help. It's imperative I lose the excess body fat I have so my back and shoulder heal. I want to be strong again so badly. It's my greatest motivator. I appreciate the encouragement.

I opted to turn my canned pumpkin into a custard with an egg, some cream, spices, and a scant tablespoon of maple syrup. We'll see if it's worth eating.

Yeah I wouldn't look at the scale. Just go about your healthy eating and just weight and measure at the end of a month or two or something.

Would love to know if you pumpkin custard turns out. It wouldn't be anything I would have thought of.

Well it didn't set firm but for a quick and easy way to make canned pumpkin puree tasty, it wasn't bad. About 3/4 c pumpkin, 1 egg, 1/2 tbsp maple syrup, splash of cream or coconut milk, spices. Mixed and poured into muffin tin @ 350 F for twenty minutes or so. I greased the tin with coconut oil. Could try two eggs to get more of a pie/custard consistency. Made five for me.

Topped with a walnut and a few pumpkin seeds made a great end to dinner.

Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast