Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: My Primal Existence page 4

Britt is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    June 30, 2013

B: 3 slices bacon, 2 eggs, 1/2 avocado, 7 small strawberries, 5 cherries, coffee w/HWC
    D: 4 oz. chicken (give or take), 2/3 cup mashed potatoes (a treat leftover from the weekend made with purple potatoes), swiss chard, carrots, butter
    S: 25g 80% dark chocolate

WOD: Absolutely nothing. So hot and humid today. Definitely going to be getting my workouts in early (I get up at 0530 every morning) before the sun gets too high.

It's been about two weeks since I started really getting back on track again with keeping my carbs at 75g a day or under and my calories have consistently stayed below 1600 a day without trying (I'm never terribly hungry; a feeling I've missed). I've been over a couple days, but never over 90g in a day so far. Maybe down half an inch in the waist (41.5 to 41)? I think my starting measure was slightly above my belly button. So, potential progress. I just need to watch obsession with the numbers. My next all-measurements date is 7/16, so it's best to just go with the flow until then.

Hope everyone got some sunshine.
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love and something to hope for." - Allan K. Chalmers (1759-1834)

July 1, 2013

B: 500 mL Bulletproof coffee
    D: 1/4 lb burger (all beef is grass-fed/finished from a local farmer) on oopsie rolls, 2 carrots, 1/2 tomato, 1/2 avocado, olives, pickles
    S: smoothie containing 1/2 can coconut milk, 10 strawberries, 1/2 avocado, ice (I don't usually "do" smoothies but it's so darned hot and I was still a bit hungry (and eying my wife's peanut M&Ms), so I threw this together)

WOD: I'm updating early because of my WOD. I started with my warm-up and quickly fell asleep on my yoga mat this morning in the sun with my cats in the living room. Woke up demotivated (in a lazy sort of way) and had coffee.

Now, I just did 60 wall pushups, 50 wall squats, 20 8lb rows, 90 second hands/knees plank and 45 second hand/knee planks for both sides (uninjured shoulder actually had more weakness with those).

ALL IN ONE SET FOR EACH (except I did 20 wall pushes to make up for sleeping on the floor, then did the other 40 later).

I used a Matisyahu playlist for my motivation and it helped me push past the point where I've just given up for a second set before. And I used a foam roller to assist my squats because my poor wall has a spot where I've pressed against it.

So, feeling great today.
    Last edited by Britt; 07-01-2013 at 07:33 PM.
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love and something to hope for." - Allan K. Chalmers (1759-1834)

July 2, 2013

B: coffee w/HWC
    L: two Applegate hotdogs on oopsie rolls, baby dill pickles, cherry tomatoes, carrot sticks, cherries, 1/2 avocado, 1/2 sweet potato w/butter
    S: apricots, raspberries, blueberries (from the farm down the street), small handful of almonds, shot of tequila in soda water
    D: two Applegate hotdogs (someone is grilling outside and the wife wanted the last burger) on oopsie rolls, pickles, carrot sticks, cherry tomatoes, salad mix w/olive oil and balsamic vinegar
    S: 6 pieces 80 percent dark chocolate

WOD: Nothing substantial. Walked a 1/4 mile one way to the urban farm down the street and carried goodies back. Feeling the DOMS but certainly not like last week. Encouraging and will definitely dive into my full workout again tomorrow.

Loving the weather, getting lots of sun, and I snuck in a measurement or two. I haven't noticed any loss around my middle, but I've lost an inch around my hips (46 to 45) and a bit around the neck. So I'm feeling good. Sometimes I just get this feeling of "Oh man, will I actually lose weight again? Does this actually work?"

Then I look at my photos from two years ago and laugh. Of course it does! It's real food!
    Last edited by Britt; 07-02-2013 at 09:26 PM.

July 3, 2013

B: 2 slices bacon, 3 fried eggs in 1/2 tbsp. butter, 3 strawberries, 3 raspberries, 1 oz. blueberries, 1 apricot, coffee w/HWC
    S: 1 oz colby jack cheese (a treat), 1 oz. blueberries, 1 oz. almonds/pepitas
    D: 3 oz. steak in Spanish cauliflower rice, 1/2 avocado, grated cheese, 2 cauliflower tortillas (that were EXCELLENT), and a wee bit of tequila in some lemon/mint water
    S: 1/4 c. blueberries, 1/4 c. HWC, 2 tbsp. shredded coconut, 1 oz. nuts

WOD: Can't quite do knee pushups without shoulder pain, so I stuck to my usual 40 wall pushups. Also did 50 wall squats and planks. Not as motivated as I was the other day, but I just have to remember small gains are still gains. It was so beautiful outside after my doc appointment, I skipped going home and headed to a local lake. Took to the 2.6 mile trail and it was gorgeous. Never out of breath the entire way around the lake.

It was really grounding to just get outside and enjoy it. People were running, fishing, sunbathing/burning, swimming, etc. It was just nice to see folks enjoying the weather. I work the next few days, but I think Monday I'll pick up my fishing permit and head back for a little trout fishing off the shore. I saw that there are canoes for rent too, so my wife (a Minnesotan) and I will have to take advantage of that sometime!

So I managed to gorge myself on food, but stayed under 2000 cal. I don't feel a bit bad since I was more or less active yesterday, but I was definitely bordering on uncomfortably full. That Spanish "rice" and "tortillas" are just killer though.

Anyways, feeling great!

Pinot-Girl is offline Senior Member
    Hi Britt,

Enjoyed your journal thus far - you're sounding alot more positive!!!

PG!

Thanks, PG!

I've lost a little over 3 inches across all measurements in two weeks, so I'm feeling like I'm making good progress. That always helps the ol' mood improve.

July 4, 2013

B: 2 slices bacon, 3 eggs scrambled with cinnamon, 1 oz. blueberries, 7 cherries, coffee w/HWC
    L: 2 Applegate hot dogs on oopsie rolls, salad w/cucumber, cherry tomatoes, olive oil and balsamic vinegar, baby kosher dill pickles, 1/2 oz. blueberries
    S: 1/s apple, 1 oz. almonds/pepitas
    D: 3 oz. steak, Spanish "rice", 1/2 avocado, shredded colby jack, 2 "tortillas"

WOD: None. Feeling pretty sore from my doc appointment yesterday and working out. I work tomorrow, so I'll have ample opportunity to lift things while stocking the shelves.

Hoping the fireworks don't keep me up tonight, since I've gotta get up early for work. I'm not a light sleeper, but I suppose we'll see. Looking forward to more beautiful weather this week!

Also, got some good responses on a post re: protein intake. I'm going to make sure I get up into the 80g to 100g a day of protein range. I respect the Primal Body, Primal Mind approach re: gluconeogenesis and protein, but I need to be building muscle or at least maintaining what I have. Again reminded of what a great and supportive forum community MDA is.

HelenLouise is offline Senior Member
    What is an oopsie roll? A non primal bread roll?

July 5, 2013

B: 2 slices bacon, 3 egg omelet w/cheese, 1/2 oz. blueberries, 1 apricot, coffee w/HWC
    D: chicken leg and thigh, couple of mushrooms, handful of leeks, 2 handfuls of swiss chard cooked in butter, beets, sauerkraut, 2 tbsp. butter and 3 oz. mead
    S: Endangered Species Panther Extreme Dark 88% chocolate (forgot how good it was)

WOD: Worked today, but with a twist. Every hour, I did 10 pushups off of the counter. It really helped keep my shoulder pain at bay and I liked the intensity compared to wall pushups. So I did about 70 total today in addition to heavy lifting and stocking shelves.

The extra protein seems to help me feel satiated a bit more than piling on a lot of fat. I was going with an 80%f/10%p/10%c for a few weeks now, but I'm going to dial back the fat a little and aim for 60%f/25%p/15%c. I'm not micromanaging, but it'll just mean more in the range of 4-6 oz of meat on my plate and just getting my fat from food and what I cook with (instead of adding more butter on post-cooking). It seems to have worked for a lot of women on the forum, so I'll continue to journal my thoughts and experiences if any of you are curious.

Also looking into getting some Vibrams. I have Merrells Pace gloves, Luna sandals, Vivobarefoot winter boots, so I should probably round out my collection with the quintessential kippah (yarmulke) of primal folk, hehe! And I was tired of getting rocks under my feet in my sandals on the trail the other day.

Looking forward to getting a couple more trail walks in next week, for sure. Going to continue doing my hourly pushups at work.

Also, if anyone reads this, I have a somewhat silly question:

Bodyweight squats (as in no extra weight except that contained within my skin ). I used to do quite a bit of leg lifting in high school (hex bar deadlifts and leg presses were my best friends for a few summers) and seem to have some pretty well muscled thighs (with some adipose tissue hanging around in some areas). From 210 lbs to 180lbs I've stayed at a size 14 and I'm shallowly concerned that overdoing the squats might be keeping me there. It sounds silly, but if any women out there have any thoughts, lemme know. I'm not throwing around the whole "I don't want to be bulky" fear, but dropping a size or two in the next year in the jeans department would be kind of nice.

EDIT: How about that search function, eh? Found an answer... kind of, hehe.
    Last edited by Britt; 07-05-2013 at 08:06 PM.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by HelenLouise View Post
    What is an oopsie roll? A non primal bread roll?

Sorry, I missed your comment! I'd first found it on Dr. Andreas Eenfeldt's website. It's made with eggs and cream cheese and works great as a hamburger bun/hotdog bun/whatever.

Here's the link.

I store 'em in a paper bag in the fridge, not that they ever last long.

Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast