Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: My Primal Existence page 3

HelenLouise is offline Senior Member
    Is sweet potato a safe starch? I probably have it about once a week.

Britt is online now Senior Member
    Well I just call it a starch now, hehe. I had one left so I just ate it. I may keep eating a half of one for post-workout purposes, but that'd be at most two sweet potatoes a week.
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love and something to hope for." - Allan K. Chalmers (1759-1834)

DCarr10760 is offline Senior Member
    Congratulations on your unrelated note! It was a wonderful day :-) Two of my good friends have been in a committed relationship for 44 years! Just announced that they will be getting married in celebration!! I can't wait.

The DOMS will get better as you get fitter. I've been working with a personal trainer these past three weeks and have been in intermittent agony for the first two, this week is much better!

Keep at it!

David
    Height: 5' 10"
    Starting Weight: 292
    Starting Primal Weight: 275
    Current weight: 224
    Goal weight: 172
    Body Fat 30.5

Thanks David! And I actually enjoyed the DOMS (in a not creepy way). I have an upper back injury that's mostly healed and a shoulder injury that's on the way, both from working as a nursing assistant (catching unbalanced geriatrics). So the DOMS was a most welcome sign that I was doing something right and getting at those muscles that have been atrophying (and a distraction from the actual pain of the injury).

Thanks for the support, everyone. I'm kicking myself lightly for having never put a journal up here.
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love and something to hope for." - Allan K. Chalmers (1759-1834)

June 26, 2013

B: 2 slices bacon, 2 eggs, 1/2 sweet potato w/butter, coffee w/HWC
    L: 1/4 lb burger on oopsie roll, apple w/2 tbsp. almond butter
    S: few bites of Greek yogurt with nuts and homemade jam from grandmother (too sweet, couldn't eat it)
    S: navel orange

WOD: Dancing around my living room celebrating. Not much more than that.

I got my rejection letter for one of the two nursing programs I applied to, but my GPA was "only" 3.8 so I wasn't hugely optimistic. Still going to start next spring for the one I've been waitlisted on two years now. :P But hey, more time to lose weight and heal. Can't argue with that.

DCarr10760 is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I've been working through a shoulder injury that has bothered me for many, many years. It's a jitterbug dance related injury from my acting days... and a long story.

My trainer has been (uncharacteristically) very gentle with shoulder exercises because of it. I'm building strength there gradually. Take it easy.

Sorry about the rejection letter... My best semester in college ever was a 3.8! I thought it was pretty good!

DC
    Height: 5' 10"
    Starting Weight: 292
    Starting Primal Weight: 275
    Current weight: 224
    Goal weight: 172
    Body Fat 30.5

Shoulders are tricky bastards, but I have a great osteopath and physical therapist working on it with me, so I'm hoping the next six months will see me 90% healed up.

The nursing program in question has a pretty stringent point system and most applicants have a 4.0 and prior degree. But oh well! Can't say I didn't try.

June 27, 2013

B: bulletproof coffee (10 oz) with some leftover pumpkin custard type thing
    D: 6 oz chicken (light and dark meat), a load of kale and swiss chard cooked in 3 tbsp. butter, brussels sprouts, sugar peas, olives, and cherry tomatoes
    S: champagne mango

WOD: None. Very lazy day today. Slept in until 10 AM (five hours extra) since I'd worked a couple swing shifts this week.

DOMS seems mostly gone and with it my usual shoulder pain. So very, very excited to get in another workout this weekend.

June 28, 2013

B: 3 eggs scrambled with cherry tomatoes and green onion, coffee w/HWC
    S: snap peas, raspberries (a lot of both)
    D: 3 oz. zinfadel, 3 oz. spiced mead, chicken thigh, sweet potato, greens, carrots, 3 tbsp butter
    S: 80% dark chocolate

WOD: Work.

Had friends over for Shabbat so I lived it up a little had drank. And grazed a lot on snap peas and raspberries, but still managed to keep my carbs around 75g or so.
    Last edited by Britt; 06-29-2013 at 08:49 PM.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    June 29, 2013

B: 3 slices bacon, two eggs scrambled, strawberries, cherries, coffee w/HWC
    S: more grazing on snap peas and cherries
    D: chicken, swiss chard, carrots, 1/2 sweet potato w/butter

WOD: Rested since I had the Sabbath off.

Was a wonderfully lazy day of board games and eating. Feeling good despite the insane heat (it almost got to 80 with killer humidity, but I'm in Western Washington so this probably seems silly to most people). I have the next five days off of work so no excuses in terms of getting some workouts done! My shoulder has felt like it gained a "level" in terms of pain reduction so my max pain/discomfort is significantly less than it usually is on a consistent basis.

If that's the result of one workout and my continued osteopathy treatments, I can't wait to see what consistent workouts will do!

Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast