Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: My Primal Existence page 12

Britt is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Whole30, Day 5

B: shakshuka, figs w/sliced almonds, coffee w/coconut milk
    L: spaghetti squash w/meat sauce, snap peas, 1/2 apple (which s insanely sweet)
    D: three fried eggs, 1/2 an avocado, coffee w/coconut milk
    S: more coffee, small apple

1379404179269.jpg

1379404189384.jpg

1379404148679.jpg

I'm on a night shift right now and have been up since 0530, so I'm overdoing it on the coffee. I won't get home until a bit after seven. I'd planned on eating but I'll probably be too tired to care. Pushing a 26 hour day so sleep > food.

I have another noc tomorrow so I'll be better prepared sleep-wise at least.

I've also noticed I had a persistent headache and lethargy on days 2 and 3, usually in the evening, when I would feed the sugar demon Haagen Dasz ice cream bars.

No headache since though.

I have to say, being Primal for awhile definitely makes a Whole30 a lot easier!
    Last edited by Britt; 09-17-2013 at 05:33 PM.
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love and something to hope for." - Allan K. Chalmers (1759-1834)

Whole30, Day 6

B: homemade breakfast sausage, fried eggs, half a peach
    L: homemade breakfast sausage, fried eggs, a few small plums, coffee w/coconut milk
    D: spaghetti squash with meat sauce, salad (greens, avocado, olives, snap peas, olive oil w/herbs de Provence)
    S: coffee w/coconut milk

599663_589893124407449_1068368973_n.jpg

So, I was up a total of 28 hours yesterday and today. 0530 yesterday to 0930 today. It was weird, but I fell asleep instantly when I laid down.

After work, pre-sleep I made some sausage and nommed on "breakfast". I just woke up and had "lunch" with coffee around 3 PM. Later tonight before work I'll have "dinner" and some coffee to take with.

I'm going to do one cup of coffee (8-10 oz) when I wake up and 12-16 oz during the first half of my night shifts. I've done some reading and determined that not eating while I'm working at night is probably best, since my body isn't used to digesting food at that time. I wasn't terribly hungry, so it wasn't an issue. I'll keep to my early morning breakfast when I get home, have lunch when I wake up, and dinner before I go.

All in all, I rather liked it. I'm sure the novelty of working nights will wear off, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I definitely feel like being on a Whole30 has better prepared me for it, too. I had constant levels of energy last night and was alert on the way home.

I'm awaiting some badass amber sunglasses though, to block out the blue light after my shifts just to help me get to sleep faster when I get home.

Dare I say it, but I'm actually enjoying being on a Whole30. The apple I had yesterday was so sweet, I could hardly stand it!
    Last edited by Britt; 09-17-2013 at 07:34 PM.
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love and something to hope for." - Allan K. Chalmers (1759-1834)

Whole30, Day 7

S: three hard - boiled eggs (0230)

I got really groggy at work, so I salted the eggs and had a glass of water. Feeling like it's helping my energy levels, but I'm so looking forward to crawling into bed after my shift.
    Last edited by Britt; 09-18-2013 at 02:44 AM.

HelenLouise is offline Senior Member
    Was that a fasting day of some sort?

No, my day isn't over. I'm at work, finishing up a night shift (0600 now). I probably won't eat "breakfast" when I get home since I'll be pretty tired. I sleep from 0800 to 1500 after working a night shift.

I just haven't filled in the rest of my day because it hasn't happened yet.

HelenLouise is offline Senior Member
    Ooohhhh oops. Lol

Whole30, Day 7

S: three hard - boiled eggs (0230)
    B: 2 oz sausage and two egg shakshuka (0730)
    Sleep: 0800 to 1400
    L: 1/2 lb. burger with 1/2 avocado and 1/2 sweet potato (I was hungry)
    D: spaghetti squash with meat sauce, four small plums ("Indian plum")

I got really groggy at work, so I salted the eggs and had a glass of water. Feeling like it's helping my energy levels, but I was asleep really fast after my shift.

I'll be recording my sleep and eating times since my schedule is a bit odd now.

I've noticed I've been craving sugar and chocolate today. Seems a little "late" in terms of the usual Whole30 experience, but I suppose nothing is unusual on a Whole30. :P
    Last edited by Britt; 09-18-2013 at 11:50 PM.

Whole 30, Day 8

B: brussels sprouts, leeks, sausage scramble, coffee w/coconut milk (1030)
    L: chicken leg and some thigh, sweet potato w/coconut oil, salad (greens, olives, snap peas, tomatoes, olive oil) (1630)
    S: 3 hard boiled eggs, snap peas, figs, and 1/2 a peach (2000)

1238785_590963060967122_1450792354_n.jpg

I'm definitely toning the coffee down. I can see how easy it becomes to drink it continuously when working night shifts and I think I'm just going to stick to my cup at home before the shift. Leave the thermos at home. I didn't notice any sleep difficulties, but I pushed myself to wake up earlier in the afternoon than I should have, knowing I could have coffee if I wanted. I just don't want coffee to replace quality sleep.

So it'll be a cup when I wake up and a cup when I go to work a noc, which should only be twice a week anyways.

The headaches in the evenings have continued a little, but they're not too bad now. I was craving chocolate yesterday, but it was a weird feeling. Not a "must-have-sugar-now" craving. It was more refined, I guess? Hehe. Still feeling great otherwise!
    Last edited by Britt; 09-19-2013 at 08:20 PM.

Whole 30, Day 9

B: three HB eggs, 1/2 avocado, snap peas, 1/2 apple, coffee w/coconut milk
    S: a fig
    D: chicken fried steak (almond flour/spices for coating), brussels sprouts, sweet potato fries w/mayo, and sausage gravy

I checked over on Whole9 and noted that almond/coconut flours are acceptable for breading something or thickening gravy (but NOT "paleo" baked goods, which I'm awful at making anyways). I picked up cube steak on a whim and am -so- looking forward to dinner tonight.

Note though, I may need to increase my salt intake. I took a hot bath (almost sauna-like) and the heat got to me pretty quickly and I nearly passed out. So! Doesn't seem like a bad idea, since I hardly use enough salt when I cook.
    Last edited by Britt; 09-21-2013 at 07:01 PM.

Whole 30, Day 10

B: three HB eggs, 1/2 avocado, snap peas, 1/2 apple, coffee w/coconut milk (deja vu, 0700)
    L: chicken fried steak, brussels sprouts, snap peas, cherry tomatoes (1600)
    D: none (went to bed around 2100)

I'm not exactly original with my breakfasts, but HB eggs make my life so much easier. Though, I'm totally looking forward to eating some pumpkin porridge once the weather cools down!
    Last edited by Britt; 09-22-2013 at 07:32 AM.

Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast