Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: My Primal Existence page 11

zinnia is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hi Britt, I am enjoying your journal. I'm glad you're feeling better. And, your dinner looks amazing! What do you use to coat the fried zuchinni and leeks?

Britt is offline Senior Member
    Hey there! Thanks! Luckily, I don't have mono. I just waited too long to get my strep treated because I'm stubborn.

And I beat an egg, dipped the zucchini in, and then made a flour mix of coconut flour, garlic powder, a pinch of salt, and some dill (to go with the fish). I fried 'em in a little coconut oil and they went great with everything else!

I'm sure you could do zucchini sticks like that too. I didn't do anything with the leeks except soften them in the coconut oil I used to cook the fish in.
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love and something to hope for." - Allan K. Chalmers (1759-1834)

September 6, 2013

B: poached eggs, bacon, strawberries, coffee w/HWC
    L: celeriac & leek soup with chicken, beef sticks, almonds (working hard today = hungry)
    D: flank steak, kabocha squash, fried zucchini with tartar
    S: ice cream bar

I've seriously got to stop buying ice cream bars. I haven't had chocolate in weeks, but I can't seem to maintain my self-control when it comes to Haagen Dasz bars.

I think the lower quality dairy in them irritates my throat like milk does if I drink more than a few sips.

Visiting the parents for a few days so I anticipate some deviations, but I'm going to keep sugar minimal (grain avoidance is automatic for me already, except alcohol). It's a belated birthday for me, so a nice toasty stout will be consumed, but hopefully they have 5 ounce glasses at the brewery.

Might be a good time to finish reading Primal Body, Primal Mind and start re-reading PB and It Starts With Food, hehe!
    Last edited by Britt; 09-07-2013 at 07:27 AM.
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love and something to hope for." - Allan K. Chalmers (1759-1834)

I finished up antibiotics yesterday but my left tonsil is sore and so is my left ear. I'm a little concerned.

As much as I love my dairy, I'm afraid I've overdone it the past couple weeks re: yogurt, (ice) cream, and cheese.

I'm finishing up the last of my gouda and heavy cream. After I get back from visiting family Tuesday, I'm doing a Whole30.

I've tried before but didn't make it. I've done a Grok30 because I'm of Dutch ancestry and cling to dairy like a baby blanket.

So I'm finally doing it. No butter, no cream in my coffee, no conventional bacon, (obviously) no grains out sugar. The whole nine yards (har). I really don't want recurrent strep and want to just feel better inside and out.

So, yeah. *Declarative statement*

HelenLouise is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Britt View Post
    I finished up antibiotics yesterday but my left tonsil is sore and so is my left ear. I'm a little concerned.

As much as I love my dairy, I'm afraid I've overdone it the past couple weeks re: yogurt, (ice) cream, and cheese.

I'm finishing up the last of my gouda and heavy cream. After I get back from visiting family Tuesday, I'm doing a Whole30.

I've tried before but didn't make it. I've done a Grok30 because I'm of Dutch ancestry and cling to dairy like a baby blanket.

So I'm finally doing it. No butter, no cream in my coffee, no conventional bacon, (obviously) no grains out sugar. The whole nine yards (har). I really don't want recurrent strep and want to just feel better inside and out.

So, yeah. *Declarative statement*
    Ooohhhhh good luck with your whole 30!! I did it in June and it was soooooooo hard!! Especially not having any butter because I couldn't handle my eggs with coconut oil. I am contemplating another one but as I'll never give up butter, I'd rather keep it during a whole30.

I'll be making ghee (clarified butter) to get by during mine. I've been visiting family and had more gluten these past few days than I've had in the last few months.

I know the difficulty of the first week is proportionate to the amount of junk eaten prior, so this is going to be all kinds of fun.

I've been regaining the same ten pounds for months now though (despite losing inches, still) so I really want to break through that semi-plateau.

I'm not much of a meal planner either, but I'm gonna try just to make it easier on myself.

But in excited. I've never made the whole 30 days and it'll be awesome to know I can do it. Thanks for the support!

Whole 30, Day 1

B: huevos pericos w/black coffee
    D: berbere rubbed steak, brussels sprouts/leeks/mushrooms cooked in ghee, big garden salad, water
    S: 1/2 an Alberta peach and some figs

Day 1.jpg

Feeling kind of anxious today. I had a nice vacation since Sunday, but I'm back to work tomorrow and not being able to ignore my phone and all the other "attentions" I have is hitting me hard. And I'm usually the one that is constantly connected. Definitely shutting my phone off tomorrow after sunset, which is also Yom Kippur. I'll be fasting Friday sunset to Saturday sunset, so I suppose that's one less day on my whole30 I'll have to think about. :P

It's gonna be another scorcher for us pansies in the PNW though, so I may have to drink some water during the fast. Tisha b'Av wasn't so pretty when I went a full fast on no water in 90 degree heat.

Anyways, I have some meal stuff prepped for the week and I'm excited. Bought some ghee, tomato paste in a tube (ingredients checked), and a few other essentials. I'd also considered starting a journal at whole9 but figured it'd be kind of redundant and I'm still primal at heart.

Edit: I smell a mean curry being cooked outside and I'm having an Alberta peach for a snack. I'm definitely cooking up a curry this week!
    Last edited by Britt; 09-12-2013 at 09:00 PM.

Whole 30, Day 2

B: steak & eggs with sauteed kale
    D: steak, kale, kabocha squash, etc.

It's Erev Yom Kippur so I'm updating early and will go back and fill in my eats tomorrow night. G'mar Chatimah Tovah.

Whole30, Day 3

Fasted 24 hours and broke fast at sunset.

D: short ribs, sweet potato, roasted turnips, coconut oil, lots of water

Got a little cranky yesterday, but it was hard to tell if it was the Whole30 or YK fasting that did it, hehe! Otherwise, feeling pretty good.

Whole30, Day 4

B: three fried eggs with cinnamon, 1/2 an avocado, coffee w/coconut milk
    S: 1.5 ounces almonds, water
    L: short ribs and sweet potato w/coconut oil
    D: spaghetti squash w/meat sauce and salad, some figs

Almonds aren't the best meal choice but I was hungry at work and they're the only thing we sell I can eat. To beat any mindless snacking demons, I ate them as slowly as possible. The flavor of almonds really wowed me since I usually pair almonds with cheese or beef sticks.

I usually don't eat lunch and eat an early dinner, but for the rest of my whole30 I'm going to make it a point to have three meals.

Lunch might be smaller, but I'll make sure it's balanced.
    Last edited by Britt; 09-15-2013 at 08:14 PM.

Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast