Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Salad Dressing page

DFord is offline Member

Salad Dressing

Right now I have been using a store bought Olive Oil Vinaigrette dressing but it has some vegetable oil and soy bean oil. Does anyone have a favorite recipe to share. I struggle eating enough greens sometime and having this decent tasting dressing(although not perfectly primal) has saved me so far.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Dressing is easy! Definitely lose the refined oils asap.

Single serving:
    1 tbsp liquid virgin tree oil (olive, avocado, macadamia, etc.)
    1 tsp vinegar (wine or other)
    + embellishments (mustard, black pepper, dried herbs, canned anchovies, blue cheese, etc.)
    Whisk with a fork until blended. I do this in a little 3 oz. ramekin then pour over salad and toss.

For a larger batch I'll use 6 oz. oil + 2 oz. vinegar, use wand blender, and store in any leftover glass jar.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

DFord is offline Member
    Thank you I will try that sounds like it would be good.

oliviascotland is offline Senior Member
    I use 2 parts extra-virgin olive oil to 1 part balsamic vinegar, add salt and pepper, some whole grain mustard, sometimes some home-made mayonnaise if I have any around, then I go and pick whatever herbs I have most of in the garden and chop them in finely, mix and put over my salad. Garlic is nice, too (crushed, not powder).

DFord is offline Member
    Thanks that sounds good as well. I was getting down about not coming up with something that sounded good both of these sounds good. Have to find out how to make home-made mayo.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    The search feature here works wonders:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...2007j344135j14
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

DaniPani is offline Junior Member
    I always keep balsamic reduction on hand and I mix 1 part reduction with 1 part olive oil and season with some garlic salt. It's simple and delicious.

Balsamic Reduction:

1 cup Balsamic Vinegar
    2 tbsp Coconut Sugar
    1 tbsp Coconut Aminos

Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and cook until syrupy. About 20 minutes.

DFord is offline Member
    Thank you I didn't ask how to search. Just about every question here can be answered with a search. If you didn't want to answer go on your merry way.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in BC View Post
    The search feature here works wonders:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...2007j344135j14

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DFord View Post
    Thank you I didn't ask how to search. Just about every question here can be answered with a search. If you didn't want to answer go on your merry way.
    I linked you to a search returning plenty of answers right here at MDA. You're welcome.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

outlaw48 is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have two that are my go-to:

1) basic vinaigrette
    200 ml olive oil
    100 ml walnut oil
    100 ml vinegar
    30-60 ml (or more) mustard

Put everything in a jar/blender bottle along with anything you want to use for seasoning (diced onion, shallot, minced herbs, garlic, salt, pepper, hot sauce etc.) and shake. The amount of mustard and types of oil/vinegar will determine the thickness of the resulting dressing. The thinnest combo is walnut oil/wine vinegar and the thickest are olive oil and a good aged balsamic (I've had some that are as thick and dark as chocolate sauce!). You can also use any combo of vinegar/oil/mustard types to change the flavour. Another good option to mix it is a hand blender, but don't kill it! Plunge the blender to the bottom of the container THEN pull the trigger as you slowly withdraw it then stop at the end of that stroke. That's it!

Sometimes the wrong combos wont emulsify at all. Experiment until you get dressings that you like. Make sure you track what and how much you're throwing in so that once you get an amazing one you will know how to replicate it.

2) Caesar
    1 egg yolk at room temp
    1 glob of Dijon mustard the same size as the egg yolk
    Olive oil

Speed up the egg warming process by putting it in a bowl and filling the bowl with the hottest water your tap will provide. Let sit for 5 mins. Separate the white and yolk and place the yolk in a large, heavy bowl. Add the mustard. Whisk. By hand, with a wire whisk. Once blended, drizzle in the olive oil as you continue to whisk. This should emulsify into a mayonnaise. Keep adding and whisking (constantly) until the mayo is thick enough to form peaks when you withdraw the whisk. Now for more ingredients (that you will have prepped before hand.)

2 anchovy fillets drained and minced
    2 cloves of garlic, minced
    Red wine vinegar
    Lemon juice
    Hot sauce
    Worcestershire sauce (optional)
    Pepper

Add the acids a teaspoon at a time until you like the taste. Use the sauces sparingly. Be generous with the pepper. Ill serve this tossed on romaine lettuce with shredded Parmesan cheese then ill top it with a few slices of bacon, a grilled and sliced chicken breast, and a couple of whole anchovy fillets. I call it the trifecta Caesar. The recipe makes a lot of dressing but it lasts about a week in the fridge and taste way better after a day or two of sitting. You may find yourself eating it with a spoon when you run out of lettuce.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast