Thread: Natural home remedies page

Stacy15 is online now Senior Member

Natural home remedies

Shop Now
    I love finding new uses for things I already use, or learning about new home remedies, especially if they are good for you!

These aren't really home remedies, but things I've found new uses for besides cooking:

Coconut oil as a moisturizer - Amazing!! I will never buy lotion or a face product again

Olive oil as a tanning lotion - nice bronze and don't burn!

Anyone else found something to be a great substitute and actually better then a product they were using?
    Last edited by Stacy15; 06-19-2013 at 07:19 AM.

little vase is online now Senior Member
    Inhale a few drops of tea tree oil in steaming water for colds and sinus issues...amazing.
    Baking soda as toothpaste.
    Apple cider vinegar in warm water is a great foot soak and is great for getting rid of yellowed toenails (fungus). It's also great for bee stings - put a bit of baking soda on the sting and then a drop of acv - takes the pain away immediately as it bubbles up like a miniature volcano.
    I once annihilated a wart with a banana peel but it doesn't work for all kinds of warts. Worth a try if you have a big one though. Just take a little chunk of peel and put it over the wart, the inside of the peel against the wart. Duct tape it in place. Leave it there for a week, or redress it the same way every day for a week with a new peel and tape.

awok677 is offline Senior Member
    I'm using coconut oil for everything - dry skin on my feet and yellowed toenails. Definitely seeing improvements.

Currently we're trying horse chestnut extract tablets for my father's haemorrhoids as some people have reported good results. Still waiting on that, into 3rd month, but suggested minimal 4 months, so we'll keep going and see.
    Me, My Father and The Alzheimer's - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84213.html

lark42 is offline Senior Member
    My desert island kit would include Oil of Oregano and coconut oil. And apple cider vinegar for any sunburn

Lark

Sent from my SGH-I717D using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    "Unfortunately, humans rely less on instincts and more on culture to determine what they eat" - Marcia Pelchat

MEversbergII is online now Senior Member
    Regarding coconut oil: If that stuff's solid at room temp, doesn't it get kind of waxy on your skin? Or is human skin temp enough to keep it liquid until it's absorbed?

M.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post
    Regarding coconut oil: If that stuff's solid at room temp, doesn't it get kind of waxy on your skin? Or is human skin temp enough to keep it liquid until it's absorbed?

M.
    It melts at 76*F. It won't solidify on your skin. And it rubs in pretty well and isn't real oily (I know that's weird to say about oil) unless you really slather a crapton of it on you.

Stacy15 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post

M.
    It melts to liquid once in hand or rubbed on skin. I use on my face at night before bed and it absorbs really well after rubbing in for a minute. Lately I have been putting on my legs when wearing shorts/skirts and they look fabulous all day!

I also use coconut oil as a deep conditioner for my hair. Rub into dry hair at night and shampoo out in morning. Warning - it will make your pillowcase greasy, but hair will look great.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacy15 View Post
    Lately I have been putting on my legs when wearing shorts/skirts and they look fabulous all day!
    Photos or it didn't happen.

MEversbergII is online now Senior Member
    I'll pass that on to the SO, thanks.

M.