Thread: Are these macro-nutrient numbers in the ballpark? page

secret agent girl is offline Senior Member

Are these macro-nutrient numbers in the ballpark?

Primal Fuel
    I've made some changes and am not experiencing necessary weight loss, so it's time to get a little more involved. For me, that's going to be a period of tracking macro-nutrients. Please respect this.

Based on reading this site and few outside resources to fill in the gaps, here's what I've come up with. If you see errors, I welcome your input!

Eating "healthy" foods, as generally considered by Primals/Paleos, I'm aiming for:

Protein
    This is based on the target lean body weight(?) I'm using my lowest adult weight, 125, which is probably still somewhat overweight. If--no, WHEN I get close to that, I can adjust. Or should I be starting out with a lower target? I'm using .7g as the multiplier, since I'm not hugely active: besides everyday living activities, I try to walk for 45 minutes more days than not.

Carb
    I'm aiming for about 60g a day. Will intentionally go over and under periodically.

Fat
    Enough to avoid chronic hunger. Some hunger is occasionally okay; if I'm getting more irritable than baseline because of it, I'll up it a bit and see if that helps. Because I don't trust my body's calibration towards portion sizes, etc., I'm still considering whether I need to track fats (which would give me ratios and calories in case I need them to fine-tune things down the road).

Final question
    How much does age or gender play into these calculations, or setting reasonable expectations for myself?

Someone asked my height.

5'1... 5'1.5 on a good day!

Also possibly relevant: female, early 50s, post-menopause, 175 pounds.

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    That was me!

I was wondering if 125lbs might be a little bit low for your height, but it sounds fine.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by secret agent girl View Post
    I've made some changes and am not experiencing necessary weight loss, so it's time to get a little more involved. For me, that's going to be a period of tracking macro-nutrients. Please respect this.

Based on reading this site and few outside resources to fill in the gaps, here's what I've come up with. If you see errors, I welcome your input!

Eating "healthy" foods, as generally considered by Primals/Paleos, I'm aiming for:

Protein
    This is based on the target lean body weight(?) I'm using my lowest adult weight, 125, which is probably still somewhat overweight. If--no, WHEN I get close to that, I can adjust. Or should I be starting out with a lower target? I'm using .7g as the multiplier, since I'm not hugely active: besides everyday living activities, I try to walk for 45 minutes more days than not.

Carb
    I'm aiming for about 60g a day. Will intentionally go over and under periodically.

Fat
    Enough to avoid chronic hunger. Some hunger is occasionally okay; if I'm getting more irritable than baseline because of it, I'll up it a bit and see if that helps. Because I don't trust my body's calibration towards portion sizes, etc., I'm still considering whether I need to track fats (which would give me ratios and calories in case I need them to fine-tune things down the road).

Final question
    How much does age or gender play into these calculations, or setting reasonable expectations for myself?
    Lean body weight doesn't mean your weight when you feel lean, it means the weight of all your lean tissue. So if you want to be 150 lbs with 20% body fat, your target LBM is .8 x 150, or 120. Then you multiply that by .7 or whatever constant you feel is appropriate.

60 g carbohydrate is probably fine for a not-super-active person, but keep an eye on how you feel. Some people (myself included) enjoy how they feel on half as much, and some people feel lethargic on twice that level. You really have to do some personal experimentation here.

You don't say how much fat you're eating, but I'm not a proponent of counting anyway.

Gender doesn't play into anything here, because it refers to grammatical classes. Sex, on the other hand is probably relevant because of hormonal and body composition differences. 20% body fat is pretty lean for a woman, but not so lean for a man. Men tend to carry more muscle mass, and to have higher resting metabolic rates. Women tend to be more prone to storing fat. Don't overthink it though. Less stress = better results. Sounds like you're on the right track.

You're right. The tables actually indicate it might be a bit high... We'll see.

I agree 'sex' is the more correct term. I wanted to avoid smart@$$ comments...

So, if I want to aim for 125 pound, and, say, 23% body fat, and keeping the .7 level of activity factor, then around 67 would be perhaps a better number. I'm figuring that it's better to go a little over than under.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by secret agent girl View Post
    I wanted to avoid smart@$$ comments...
    You came to the wrong place!!!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    You came to the wrong place!!!
    Yes, actually something already told me that.